Deadmau5 Head

That is bad ass!!! That is such a crisp build!!! What did you use for the mouth portion? I know its athletic mesh but whats supporting it underneath? Looks AWESOME!

That is bad ass!!! That is such a crisp build!!! What did you use for the mouth portion? I know its athletic mesh but whats supporting it underneath? Looks AWESOME!

Thanks. It's a piece of clear acrylic cut from another 14" globe. With the mouth closed off, it makes the head somewhat toasty to wear. I'm going to be installing two 40mm computer case fans inside. Hope that helps.

Very cool! That is what I thought it wa honestly. do you think drilling some holes in it to make it grated would help at all? I thought about doing this myself but I would like moderately ok airflow haha

Very cool! That is what I thought it wa honestly. do you think drilling some holes in it to make it grated would help at all? I thought about doing this myself but I would like moderately ok airflow haha

Drilling holes could help, but I'm afraid you would see where the holes are once you stretch the athletic mesh over it. The fabric will lay flat across the holes, if that makes sense, and not make a nice curve. I have some extra acrylic laying around so I may do a test.

I have the mouth piece from where i cut it out as well. It's worth a try I suppose... no harm in doing so, I can still use it to wrap mesh to get the right arc (tho I still don't know what mesh is best to use). I'll do a test on a scrap piece of acrylic now

EDIT:I just did a test of it... and yeah... it kind of looks like crap. You can see the holes, and it doesn't look very good at all.

Last edited:
That's an awesome head Venturi. Once you get the first one under your belt, all the rest will be easy. I'm just about done with my first head, not as flashy as yours though. I went with the classic red.

Thank you. I definitely wanted to do something different instead of just doing a plain one. I didn't realize how heavy it was going to be once I got finished, but it was manageable. I also didn't realize how many people would want their picture taken with me. LOL!

Thanks. It's a piece of clear acrylic cut from another 14" globe. With the mouth closed off, it makes the head somewhat toasty to wear. I'm going to be installing two 40mm computer case fans inside. Hope that helps.

The one I made had a mirrored motorcycle helmet visor taped in to cover the mouth. I originally wanted to make it move like deadmau5 has on his 5 ball head, but it wasn't the right size and I didn't have the time to reshape it so I could hinge it. It was hot inside the head because there was no air flowing through it. I had to take it off every now and then to let my head air out. :lol

Venturi! That is a way cool awesome head man! I am so jealous of the flashy flashy lights :) Cool work!!! Is that EL wire? such a cool effect man.

I am actually in the works with mine! I am doing just a basic design for starters. I'll share it here a little later when I have more progress!

What is the best kind of wire to use for the mouth? I went to Lowe's and the wire mesh they had just seemed so flimsy... should it be firm? I have white tights to use... but am stumped on the best kind of wire mesh to use. Any input would be greatly appreciated! I am on the home stretch and thats the last item I need to get! I could have mine done by the weekend :)

The lights were just EL wire around the head run with an audio trigger and RGB audio trigger lights inside hollowed out styrofoam balls for the eyes. The only problem I had when I went to the concert was it was so loud in there, the lights stayed on the whole time. The ones inside the eyes worked fine because they changed colors, but the EL wire just stayed on constantly even on the lowest setting because it was so loud there.

Now here comes the question, does anyone have any experience using material that doesn't stretch to cover the head? I am wondering what technique or pattern is the best to cover it without there being a ridiculous amount of seams. I saw a picture of a mau5head that was white a furry and I am sure that the material used did not stretch.

Hi Venturimyth and everyone else! Venturi, I briefly spoke with you at the Deamau5 show @ Cosmo. Here is one of those pics I grabbed with my iPhone where everyone wanted to have their picture taken with Venturi ...

2helfme.jpg

You inspired me to make my own! I share the same concern of fabric seams, so I'm working on a way to finish the external shell in a painted finish rather than a fabric. I have to finish before his show in San Diego later in October.

Hi Venturimyth and everyone else! Venturi, I briefly spoke with you at the Deamau5 show @ Cosmo. Here is one of those pics I grabbed with my iPhone where everyone wanted to have their picture taken with Venturi ...

2helfme.jpg

You inspired me to make my own! I share the same concern of fabric seams, so I'm working on a way to finish the external shell in a painted finish rather than a fabric. I have to finish before his show in San Diego later in October.

I'm glad I could provide some inspiration for you. I'm sure a painted finish has to be a million times easier than using fabric that doesn't stretch. I am still contemplating going to the SD show at the end of October as well. I do have to say though, I am going to do something epic for the next one because of all the mau5heads that will be there. :)

Do you guys that use hard hats as head restraints leave the hard hat as is or do you apply your own padding? Mine doesn't quite want to sit in one spot on my head. It is sort of lose.

I am working on my own head at the moment too and this thread has had alot of good information. Mine is going to be the all black one he used in a few photoshoots, but I'll have some fans in the back to keep the air flowing.

The question I have is where do I find a place that can make the plain text t-shirts he wears like the one below:

Deadmau52010MTVVideoMusicAwardsArrivalsEMc31FC5SJKl.jpg

I'm looking to get "I'm Not A D.J." or "I'm Famous" for my shirt.

Thanks.

I am working on my own head at the moment too and this thread has had alot of good information. Mine is going to be the all black one he used in a few photoshoots, but I'll have some fans in the back to keep the air flowing.

The question I have is where do I find a place that can make the plain text t-shirts he wears like the one below:

Deadmau52010MTVVideoMusicAwardsArrivalsEMc31FC5SJKl.jpg

I'm looking to get "I'm Not A D.J." or "I'm Famous" for my shirt.

Thanks.

The quote should be I'm Famou5" :) I'm sure you an just buy some plain t-shirts and get some iron-on letters to put on whatever you want.

Do you guys that use hard hats as head restraints leave the hard hat as is or do you apply your own padding? Mine doesn't quite want to sit in one spot on my head. It is sort of lose.

I used just the hard hat, but mine has a suspension system in it that can be fitted to different sizes. I held mine in using a bolt that I ran through the top before my last round of paper mache around the globe.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back