Darth Vader ROTJ Build - Studio 49

Studio 49

Sr Member
I am currently in the process of building a Return of the Jedi Darth Vader that I plan to join the 501st Legion with.
I started working on it early 2015 and have slowly been gaining momentum as I have had the time and funds to work on it.

I have been documenting all of my progress over on the Sith Lord Detachment Forum and figured I might as well stated a build thread here as well.

Parts List
[Received] --- Helmet --- Bookface, Finished Darth Ugly Vader helmet
[Received] --- Balaclava --- Anywhere I can find a plain black one
[Received] --- Cape --- Custom Props
[Received] --- Chest Armor --- Bookface, Finished chest + flush shoulder bells
[Received] --- Inner robe --- Custom Props
[Received] --- Bodysuit --- Custom Props, Two Piece Leather
[BUILT AND DONE] --- Chest box --- Scratch Built by Myself
[Received] --- Gloves --- Fenix Props
[Received] --- Belt --- Fleet Farm & Muppet --- Assembled by me
[BUILT AND DONE] --- Belt Boxes --- Scratch Built by Myself
[BUILT AND DONE] --- Belt Buckle --- Scratch Built by Myself
[Received] --- Saber Hook --- Wanna Wanga
[Received] --- Cod Piece --- Artisan Props
[Received] --- Shin Guards --- Portumac
[Purchased] --- Boots --- Dublin Universal Tall Boots
[Received] --- Lightsaber --- Parks MPP Replica (with Wanna Wanga parts upgrades)
[Received] --- Compression Suit --- Local Retailer

Other Miscellaneous Bits and Pieces
[Received]--- Lightsaber Upgrade Parts --- Wanna Wanga
[Received]--- Chest Box Electronics --- Fettronics
[Received]--- Some of my 3D modelled and printed Chestbox parts --- My Shapeways Store
[Received]--- Chestbox Decals --- Fenix Props
[Received]--- Chicago Screws --- eBay

[Purchased]--- Transport Case --- Pelican Case
[Received]--- HelmetCarry Case --- Guardian CD-300-14 Drum Bag, 12" x 14" Tom Tom

The Dream Upgrade List (Also Known as the Stuff I might one Day afford after approval)
Primary
[Received] --- Speakers --- Aker x2
[Planned] --- Boots --- Chippewas or Soviet Boots

Secondary
[Planned] --- Show Lightsaber --- Ultrasabers Chosen One
[Planned] --- Voice Changer --- A nice one, not sure which yet

Tertiary
[Planned] --- Chest Box V2 --- I'd Love to get my Parts CNC Machined
[Planned] --- Belt Boxes V2 --- I'd build them out of Hammond boxes

Part 1:
Building the Belt Boxes from scratch
3_zps0933fa76.jpg

6_zpse47ef86f.jpg

10_zpsa7d72ba8.jpg

14_zps64eee7b0.jpg

13_zpse6068bd5.jpg

29_zps23bd13f3.jpg

30_zpsa00dae12.jpg

36_zps28f6cb1a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Part 2:
Quick test fit
77B_zpsgo0oxhfg.jpg

77C_zpszbd1mqsi.jpg

Revised more accurate scratch built buckle
74B_zpsqnx1lc3z.jpg

74D_zpsdb6tlufi.jpg

74E_zpszvo6zynu.jpg

Finished Electronic in belt boxes
64C_zpswfx5sai9.jpg

64B_zpsui2fm6ol.jpg

Ordered belt hook (for lightsaber)
76B_zpsgpmybnqm.jpg

Last edited:
Those beltboxes look the part to me, great buckle too ... might I inquire where did you find those green light caps?

Chaim

Part 4

​Chamfered Sides
19A_zps0ggbte8x.jpg
19B_zpsclk85qjs.jpg

Sanded down and rounded sides

20B_zpsxmeow9eq.jpg

20C_zpsccsqtrhy.jpg

First coat of primer and black

22A_zpsvwk4xkjm.jpg
23A_zpsfukofqio.jpg

Quick mock up of the parts I had at the time

28A_zpswudol037.jpg

28B_zpssv7mbdzf.jpg

Last edited:
Here's some other stuff I have built over the last year:
My version of the Crossguard Saber (3D modelled & printed from scratch)
1.jpg2.JPG

Pre Vizlas Dark Saber (3D modelled & printed from scratch)
5.jpg1 2.jpg6.jpg

I just read your thread on the SLD Forums ... and it's best to get a TCSS saber when they are available again without grips ... then wait for Roy from wannawanga.com to finish his more accurate emitter shroud and D-ring ... and also order his additional parts such as bubblestrip and plastic T-tracks those are the most accurate these days and can be ordered in a nice package deal when available ... as for the wires for ESB/ROTJ those are vintage 18 gauge wires and come in red, brown, grey, white and blue. I hope that answers your questions posted on SLD :)

Chaim

Star Wars:

Clone ARC Trooper Commander Pistol

1.png

Senate Guard Ceremonial Rifle (Blue Royal Guards)
2.png

Z6 Rotary Blaster Cannon
3.png

Jabbas Gatekeeper Droid
4.png

Royal Guard Force Pike (Red Version)
5.png

Thunderbirds

International Rescue Stun Pistol
6.jpg7.png

- - - Updated - - -

I just read your thread on the SLD Forums ... and it's best to get a TCSS saber when they are available again without grips ... then wait for Roy from wannawanga.com to finish his more accurate emitter shroud and D-ring ... and also order his additional parts such as bubblestrip and plastic T-tracks those are the most accurate these days and can be ordered in a nice package deal when available ... as for the wires for ESB/ROTJ those are vintage 18 gauge wires and come in red, brown, grey, white and blue. I hope that answers your questions posted on SLD :)

Chaim

Awesome, just saw your comment then, thank you it's a huge help to hear from someone how knows their stuff about sabers!

Have you ordered your 2 piece leather suit + cape and robe set yet?

Chaim

Thats next on the list, fingers crossed to place the order by the end of the month!

--Edit--
I have just put my parts list above in the first post so you can see exactly where I'm up to

Parts 8:
I also purchased a 900 x 580 x 380mm Pelican carry case.
This particular case typically sells for $230 AUD and I was able to purchase it for $130 AUD on clearance, so there was no way I was going to pass up a quality case such as this.

Since the photos were taken Iv'e fitted wheels to the bottom and also plan on fitting 2 wheels to the end on the side so I can roll it like a suitcase.

See photos below.

72FE05F7-9CB1-432E-A9F4-62CA6DC03082_zpsuzzedigf.JPG0089C356-8079-4C19-A17E-371E123E21F1_zps9qntjy6p-2.JPGBB1F46C5-BD56-46E6-BFF8-E73136891010_zpsajndfnie.JPGC43644CE-FB62-4D49-A1D5-1D77EA109512_zpsibtxcklr.JPG

I have a question about how the Classified sections work in regards to interest threads.
I wanted to ask here first because the last thing I want is to do the wrong thing.
So at the moment I have 14 Darth Vader ROTJ Belt Buckle kits in hand that I want to sell, but I would like to work out if there is an interest here for them
Would I technically have to get the premium membership to just do an interest thread because at this stage I don't want to have to go out and buy a premium membership of no one is interested?
Would love to know so I can do the right thing
Kind regards
Studio 49

For anything regarding sales ... you'll need a Premium Membership ... only for Want To Buy WTB section you can go without ... just not reply without a Premium Membership :)

Chaim

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back