Dan's Escape Pod (WIP)

The faceted round stones I used are 6mm in diameter. Looking at the original model and sizing from other known parts there, I think a better match would be 8mm stones. I've ordered some 8mm stones and will see if I can get the 6mm stones to pop off the styrene backing (just tested and they are pretty tightly adhered so I'm going to have to work at it, maybe with a CA debonder)...

Dan

Thanks - I'll give that a try! I figure/hope that with a little debonding of some sort combined with mechanical prying I'll get them to come off. Fingers crossed!

Dan

So I did manage to pop the 6mm stones off. It took a little acetone and a bit of prying with an X-Acto knife and a fine needle-nose pliers but they all came off.

I tried fitting both 7mm and 8mm stones and comparing to reference images of the original model. In the end it felt to me, looking at the size and positioning of the stone features relative to the other nearby greeblies, that the 8mm stones were the way to go. So that's what's staying...

IMG_5214_small.jpg

IMG_5215_small.jpg

Dan

Can you please tell me where you got these 8mm stones?

Sure. I normally would have just run to the local Hobby Lobby or similar, but since everything was still closed around here and I was impatient to see this done I just searched around the web and ended up on Amazon:

Tell you what, though - I have a few more of these than I really need now. I have an extra strip of 50 of these - I will cut that into five 10-stone sets and mail them to the first five folks who speak up wanting them.

IMG_5218_small.jpg

I figure there are enough of these builds in progress here that at least a couple other folks might be wanting to source these. Thanks to Jason's ID I think I found ones that look good and I figure I might as well share what I have so others don't need to buy way more than they need.

Respond here or PM me (PM me with your mailing address) and I'll pop them into an envelop for you...

1. Rick Deckard
2. swgeek
3. dirtydave
4. Magoscher
5. Studio Kitbash

All spoken for!

Dan

Last edited:
Sure. I normally would have just run to the local Hobby Lobby or similar, but since everything was still closed around here and I was impatient to see this done I just searched around the web and ended up on Amazon:

Tell you what, though - I have a few more of these than I really need now. I have an extra strip of 50 of these - I will cut that into five 10-stone sets and mail them to the first five folks who speak up wanting them.

View attachment 1294365

I figure there are enough of these builds in progress here that at least a couple other folks might be wanting to source these. Thanks to Jason's ID I think I found ones that look good and I figure I might as well share what I have so others don't need to buy way more than they need.

Respond here or PM me (PM me with your mailing address) and I'll pop them into an envelop for you...

Dan

Hey Dan!

PM sent!

Thank you!

It does look like a WWII German tank jack. I've looked through all the documented donors:

Bandai 1/48
  • Panther G
  • Jagdtiger
  • Hetzer
  • Jagdpanther
Tamiya 1/35
  • 8Rad
  • 88mm Gun
  • Hanomag
  • Panzer II (Ausf F/G?)
  • Panzer III (Ausf M/N)
Bandai 1/24
  • Panther G
  • Jagdpanther
The only thing that comes close are the Panzer II and Panzer III, with the II closest. My Panzer II part is the same as the scans and is in this box.
132349-57222-13-pristine.jpg

According to Scalemates there is a slightly later (1972) kit with modified parts which came in this box. Anyone got one of those to check if the jack is different?
186447-12858-pristine.jpg

In preparation for priming and painting I knew that I had to figure out a way to stand the model up on end so that I could get good spraying angles on the top hatch area. All those fragile little greeblies on the rear end needed clearance from whatever means of support I came up with. The engine mounting points on the Saturn V main engine base plate there looked like a good place to support. I bought some flat-headed leveling bolts at the local hardware store and mounted them to a base board flat and flush at the right distance to rest on the mount points but also clear any sensitive greeblies.

IMG_5240_small.jpg

IMG_5241_small.jpg

IMG_5238_small.jpg

IMG_5239_small.jpg

I glued some thin foam padding to the tops of the bolts for no-slip safety. The whole thing turned out to be far more stable and secure than I had expected or hoped. Works great!

Dan

Last edited:
Priming!

IMG_5252_small.jpg

IMG_5253_small.jpg

IMG_5254_small.jpg

IMG_5255_small.jpg

IMG_5257_small.jpg

I got a few minor shrinkage/drying cracks and a little of the 'fuzz' texture here and there, but nothing too bad. A little detail sanding here and there and it'll be just fine. The rear end came out perfect as is, thankfully. All ready for a thin coat of Tamiya gray surface primer to take the coverage burden off my airbrush for the gray base coat and I'll be ready for actual painting. Practice first on the practice model, but then on to actual painting...

Dan

And now the gray primer is on as well.

IMG_5269_small.jpg

IMG_5271_small.jpg

IMG_5272_small.jpg

IMG_5273_small.jpg

SO fun to see all the greeblies 'unify' now that everything is one flat neutral shade!

The practice piece is all primed as well.

IMG_5274_small.jpg

Next up will be getting the base gray color tuned up to match the old Floquil SP Lettering Gray and then practice some of the weathering techniques to match the various shades and features on the original model...

Dan

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back