Dan's Escape Pod (WIP)

Okay, wow - can't believe this has sat for two years! But, back to it finally after many other projects.

This was my first real studio-scale model, not counting the little training remote project. At the time I hadn't learned the ILM 'trick' that the base color for all of these models was Reefer White. It's so tempting as a beginner to see the very dirty nature of the finished models in reference photos of the originals and start with some sort of pale gray. And where this thread last left off you can see that I was going down that road. But now after watching Sean build and paint his Falcon and having completed my own Y-Wing and another model it's clear that you have to start with Reefer White and then mist and wash and weather on the various layers of grime and dirt. Slowly, gradually, patiently in many many layers. But that very rapidly takes you right to that iconic Star Wars 'look'. So I went back and made sure this thing was nice and white for starters.

I spent a pretty penny (or many Yen?) to buy the Chronicle's Vehicles book but I'm glad I did - the reference photos in there are great!

I'm only just a day in to getting back to painting/weathering this so there's a long way to go. But I'll keep this updated from here on out...

IMG_5214_small.jpg

IMG_5234_small.jpg

IMG_5239_small.jpg

IMG_5246_small.jpg

Dan

Stunning Dan!. Glad to see you back on this & looking forward to seeing the paint finished up.
Always loved this not so small little model.

Thanks guys! Feels good to be back on it.

Slowly the detail is going on...

IMG_5301_small.jpg

I know I won't be able to get everything exact, but I'm trying to catch the little details as I can. Like the asymmetry in the dark 'missing' hatch chip, and if you know this section well you'll recognize the fuzzy upper left corner to the dark square where the paint sprayed under the mask:

IMG_5292_small.jpg

Dan

Last edited:
Fantastic looking Dan!!!
Clearly dirtying down the white is looking like a good approach to this complicated weathered model!!!
Going to be a spectacular replica for sure!!! Love the updates!
Sean

Well, contrary to my promise to myself to not start anything else until I finished painting this thing, something else kinda got in the way. Quite literally, actually:

IMG_5628_small.jpg

Hoping to get back to some new painting progress on the escape pod this weekend...

Dan

Wow! REALLY nice paint job coming along there -- looks fantastic. I like the "serious/restraint" level of weathering you've achieved, that's a very very very delicate balance, and it looks like you're hitting it right in the sweet spot.

Yellow equator strips have been painted on:

IMG_5988_small.jpg

IMG_5990_small.jpg

From here on out it's just little spot and scratch details and touch up. That's still a lot to do and maybe another two weeks of a little work here and a little work there. I may not update again until all done...

Dan

Thanks Sean! I learned from the master!

The details are going on and wow is it starting to really pop! I’ll resist more of these incremental updates until all done but she’s coming along. Dremeling in these little scars it really makes me appreciate even more what a machine you are to have finished off the painting and weathering of your Falcon so fast!

Dan

A few days ago more rusty bits going on, again to hint at the color and detail matching to reference...

5D3_1458_small.jpg

Still lacking engines and last details like decals, etc.

Today I'm going to call it done!

5D3_1470_small.jpg

5D3_1477_small.jpg

5D3_1466_small.jpg

5D3_1472_small.jpg

5D3_1473_small.jpg

5D3_1475_small.jpg

I say 'done', but I think we all know that that just means I now look at it over and over for the next several days looking for all the parts I goofed up on or missed so I can touch them up! :)

Dan

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back