Dan's Escape Pod (WIP)

Excellent! this thread is "almost" an instruction sheet. I too picked up the Excape pod greeblie packs and (hopefully soon) will start to make a pod!

Thanks to Jason and masterpiece models!

Jedi Dade

Thanks Flyscriber! Yesterday I managed to model off an F4 nozzle to think about sending off to my friend's resin printer:

nozzle1_small.jpg

nozzle2_small.jpg

I used measured dimensions from a Revell 1/32 model (not the right one to actually use for the escape pod model but enough to make sure I was getting the correct sizing) and then used Jason's nice images here of the nozzles he fit with his printed dish object as a guide. I wouldn't vouch for this for exterior use on something like an X-wing model but I figure it's probably good enough for the interior of the escape pod nozzles. I'm stuck at home like many folks now and can't get the .STL file uploaded to share with folks but if there's any interest I'll do so when I can get back to my office.

I'll still take you up on the offer of your pieces though too - thanks for that! I'll PM for details...

Thanks moffeaton for sharing the modeled dish-shaped insert! Very generous and appreciated!

Dan

And also while waiting to get the main nozzles finished up - the last step before proceeding to painting - I got to work building up a ‘test model’ for practicing the various painting and weathering techniques. I kit bashed ILM/Star Wars style to the best of my ability! :)

IMG_4998_small.jpg

IMG_4999_small.jpg

IMG_5001_small.jpg

I wanted to capture the 'essence' of the various bits and pieces and panel lines on the escape pod as a good practice base. Besides, I don’t want to screw up the painting and weathering on the actual escape pod model while learning what I'm doing on the painting and weathering. I figured it’d be wise to practice first to get the hang of things...

Dan

I remember taking a dremel to mine after it was almost finished, as part of the weathering process. It was harrowing as it was completely made from donors (yep, 4 sealab's worth) so I was sweating through my shirt as I did my first damage mark - but burring down to expose the white styrene was SO awesome. I never even THOUGHT to do a test on a mock up! Genius.

1584751496246.png

Dan, looking AMAZING!! Great work on this so far, and like Jason said, Pure Genius on your 'mockup'! You are well on your way to making an incredible reproduction of this Model. Your quality and attention to detail is Amazing!! Keep the awesome updates coming! Great Job!
-Sean

Thanks guys! Beautiful model Jason - I can only hope mine ends up looking half as nice! And this all your fault Sean - seeing all your amazing work first hand has been super inspirational!

I appreciate both your help in this process! There will be a gap in progress now for a couple weeks due to corona virus sheltering away from my model but that’ll allow me time to gather my courage to start the painting process...

Dan

Thanks Flyscriber! Yesterday I managed to model off an F4 nozzle to think about sending off to my friend's resin printer:

I used measured dimensions from a Revell 1/32 model (not the right one to actually use for the escape pod model but enough to make sure I was getting the correct sizing) and then used Jason's nice images here of the nozzles he fit with his printed dish object as a guide. I wouldn't vouch for this for exterior use on something like an X-wing model but I figure it's probably good enough for the interior of the escape pod nozzles. I'm stuck at home like many folks now and can't get the .STL file uploaded to share with folks but if there's any interest I'll do so when I can get back to my office.

I'll still take you up on the offer of your pieces though too - thanks for that! I'll PM for details...

Thanks moffeaton for sharing the modeled dish-shaped insert! Very generous and appreciated!

Dan
Dan

Be aware there are two different turkey feathers in the different versions of the Revell 1/32 Phantom. I've fortunately got both both in my stash. My F4J has the shorter ones and my F4F has a slightly longer variation. You can see the difference in this shot of the two sprues. The internet also has a load of information on the different engines having different nozzles.

IMG_1186.jpeg

Last edited:
It's funny, I have a F-4J and a F-4E both of which have the longer turkey feathers. Gotta find myself some short ones one of these days.

Thanks to my friend Jim Arthurs and his wonderful resin printer, I now have F4 inserts for my main engine nozzles.

View attachment 1280214
View attachment 1280215

I'll do some very minor clean up and get the engines finished up and then I'll be ready for painting...

Dan
Those are beautiful mate! Would you maybe sell your 3D model? I am about to start up on this very same kit, and just realised i had the wrong inserts like you :)

I'm planning to be back at my home on Friday for a bit and will get a chance to fit check these to be sure everything is good-to-go. If it's all good I'll PM you with a way to send the .stl file your way. Eventually, once I can finally get back into my office at work, I'll get the .stl posted here so anyone can grab it (I need to be physically on site in order to upload to our server).

Dan

I got a few minutes at home today to be able to get the main engines finished off with these printed nozzle inserts. It turns out that my modeled and printed F4 nozzles were a bit long to fit into the main engine bells so I had to trim several millimeters off the feather end of each one, and the 'rims' that expose to the exterior were a bit thick for my taste relative to the look of the original, so I sanded some circumference off of them.

IMG_5071_small.jpg

IMG_5072_small.jpg

IMG_5073_small.jpg

IMG_5074_small.jpg

IMG_5075_small.jpg

I think the end result is passable.

Each engine is uniquely 'oriented' with respect to where the various seam lines line up to the overall model and how the heat sink is oriented inside, according to reference to the original ILM model. It looks like the 'modern' heat sinks I have have a different spacing between the small gap and the 'hook/claw' bit relative to the reference photos of the original so I compromised a bit while tying to remain as true to the original as possible.

Dan

DAAANGG!!! Amazing Dan!! Great work on these, really going to finish up those engines and make them spot on! This is shaping up to be an epic Replica!! Keep up the awesome updates!
Sean

Thanks Sean! I'm starting to chomp at the bit to get painting! Can't wait to see this 'unify' as the primer goes on... :)

Dan

Can someone identify the donor kit for the small greeblies identified here with the green arrow?

MAP1bPJPG_crop.jpg

There are two of them at the base of each main engine, at the ends of the angled 8-Rad greeblie. They look to have some sort of 6- or 8-sided little 'ridges' running down the conical sides. These were not included in Jason's kit to the best of my knowledge. They are small enough details in a rather hard-to-see area that for the time being I've just approximated them by filling in the holes on some small hex-head screws:

IMG_5091_small.jpg

I can use these if the donor kit is hard to find or only has one or two of these per kit, but if this is an 'easy' donor greeblie I'd like to try to get the detail right if I can...

Dan

I'm planning to be back at my home on Friday for a bit and will get a chance to fit check these to be sure everything is good-to-go. If it's all good I'll PM you with a way to send the .stl file your way. Eventually, once I can finally get back into my office at work, I'll get the .stl posted here so anyone can grab it (I need to be physically on site in order to upload to our server).

Dan
Sounds great mate! And I would be willing to pay what you need ofcourse, this would help my build a lot :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back