Creating a Jumanji Board Replica

Beth D SFX

Hello!
I've posted on a few other threads as well as asked questions, and thought id start a thread to post my progress!

I am currently building a Jumanji board replica for a university module. The module is the history of replication, where we take a well-known prop, research all of its creation process and aim to create an accurate replica.

I've uploaded all references I've gathered of the different boards here: Jumanji Board References - Google Drive

Week one:
I've been researching for many hours to find out as much as I can. I've struggled to find what the original board was made from, but after speaking to others, was suggested to look into a tight grain exotic hardwood. I did a few tests on some available wood to experiment.
image0.jpg

Currently, it's looking like Mahogany with a mahogany wood stain is the closest, but going to keep experimenting with this.

Also, having recently gotten into 3d modeling, I made a mock-up of the board to make it a bit easier to work out sizes of some of the smaller details
51124254_419357982139358_6500041636486053888_o.png?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent.fbhx3-1.png

51395715_419357995472690_4678365639100858368_o.png?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fbhx3-1.png

From this, I could develop the orthographic. Sizes come from using dimensions provided by the Propstore on their previous auction and using this to scale the other dimensions.
jumanji.jpg

Next step:
Creating a cutting list of all the wooden pieces
Scale the dice
Begin to sculpt the game pieces

pretty good start!
there have been lots of guys here working on these here...it shouldn't be too hard to get help if you get in a bind!

Day 2:
Managed to get a bit of information regarding the original board, and found it was actually made from Ply! So taking my cutting list prepared from the orthographic, I got things cut today!

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

Im completely new to hard surface modeling, so have been learning a lot already with this build. It was suggested by my tutor to miter the edges as you cant see the join line on the original board.

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

Nothing has been secured yet, as I need to use the bigger sander to miter the edges of the longer pieces. Once that;s done, I shall begin assembly and working on the hinges!

Update!
We have a board!
image0.jpg

So it took a lot more attempts than planned, due to issues with mitering the edges, however, I finally made something I'm happy with. It's been sanded and filled, and il now be starting the sculpt details.
image0.jpg

Update!
We have a board!
View attachment 992151
So it took a lot more attempts than planned, due to issues with mitering the edges, however, I finally made something I'm happy with. It's been sanded and filled, and il now be starting the sculpt details.
View attachment 992152
Hello :) I am in the process of making my own copy of the board. I found a series of plans with dimensions which was very helpful, however they say the woodsheets should be 1,5cm thick. When I look at photos I can see that is too thick to be correct, and it should be closer to 1cm. Could you let me know how thick your wood sheets were? Thank you so much ! Alex

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back