Cracker's 1/144 Finemolds Millennium Falcon Asteroid Field Diorama (3D)

Re: Cracker's 1/144 Finemolds Falcon

Beatlepaul, tek2graphics, Scratchy, thanks! Lonepigeon, thanks for letting me use your back panel.

Printed out Chris Trevas (lonepigeon)'s back panel on a piece of paper. (See SteveStarkiller's thread for images from his book). Sprayed it with clear matte front and back to stiffen it up a bit and protect the powder ink. I wanted to see how it looks lit from behind.

A real high-resolution laser printer would help. I wanted to cut out the polygon shape
at first but changed my mind. Rounded off the edges.
003Backpanelinplace.jpg

002LED.jpg

004LED.jpg

001WithLEDinback.jpg

005Lit.jpg

I'm thinking about cutting out the doorway and pushing it back in but I might mess it up.
Maybe double-printing would help darken the dark areas more but I was worried they wouldn't
align and close off the tiny light details. Need to look for white LED.

Last edited:

Actually, double printing might indeed do the job since the black areas should be more opaque yet the white areas would potentially remain translucent (and two sheets of paper stock would dim the lights a bit more to make it scale effect).

DAYUM! :eek

You're going all out on this 1/144 beastie. At least these little Falcons won't break the bank in the event of a mess up, but this is still very cool just the same. I think you totally hit insane ville when you decided to alter the jawbox. But I am really liking the results.

As for asteroids, what about raw foam blocks brushed with acetone to get them to melt? That is how I've heard it was done in the effects industry (not necessarily Star Wars mind you).

JMChladek, thanks! I'll try them out. That asteroid-making technique really sounds interesting. The filler is rather hard to sculpt being sticky and all - and difficult to create those pockmarks. I know I've seen a type of dense foam somewhere around the house that would probably be good for your method. And I hope it cooperates with the hot-wire cutter.

this is all VERY cool work. I now want to do another one of these (at the same time, Idon't want to end up with a house full of falcons)

Buddy looking fantastic. Sent you a pm, my graphics may help with higher resolution and I have added a few pics of how I have done my backlighting. Or you could also do what Scratchy did, which turned out fantastic as well.

On this one I had 2 seting for the backlighting, high and low. To sort of simulate how it looks when han shuts the power down.

IMG_1828.jpg

PS; didnt the ILM guys also use a potato for some of the aseroids, you could try that LOL.

Ozzy

Thanks Astroboy, 3D-builder! :)

JMChladek, couldn't find the foam - really want to try that acetone technique.

Ozzy, thanks - your lighting looks really good! I realized the 1/144's cockpit is really so tiny though to have all the graphics in. I hardly see the panels with the canopy on. But I'll give it a try with the bigger one.

Will try to research into asteroid painting.
001View_1.jpg

002View2.jpg

004View4.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Cracker's 1/144 Finemolds Millennium Falcon

Some progress shots:

Asteroid painting. I guess these are young asteroids. From what I've read, the older
they are the redder they become. I can see some asteroids in ESB as brown.

14Inprogressrocks.jpg

12Inprogress.jpg

01InProgress.jpg

09Flightunlit.jpg

03FightStance.jpg

13Inprogressunlit.jpg

02Lit.jpg

05Flightlitrear2.jpg

11Flightrearlit4.jpg

08Flightlitrear3.jpg

07Flightlitunder2.jpg

I've glued the hull halves together so no more retouch on the internal wiring without prying it open.
I guess I'll just have to clean up the outer ones, then patch up some seams, glue on the other
small parts and start priming and painting the model.

Last edited:

What a great way to display this model! I love the shot from the rear where you can see the engine light, it totally inspires thoughts of that epic chase through the astroid field.

"Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3720 to 1!"

"Never tell me the odds."

:)

Last edited:

Thanks 3d-builder and Alaneye! :)

I stuck with the filler as it's water-base, solvent and fume-free and stands to its promise of not dusting or powdering after drying. I just make sure I wear a mask when scooping out powder from the box and it creates a dust cloud - I'm worried it would mix inside my lungs and make little rocks in there that would eventually cause my demise. :) I'll try the same rock-making and painting technique for the little Cetacean diorama I've got planned.

Last edited:
Re: Cracker's 1/144 Finemolds Millennium Falcon Diorama (3D)

Hi, posting 3D pictures of in-progress shots. I used to spend hours looking at Viewmaster reels as a kid and always thought models would look good viewed in 3D. Anaglyphs would be a great way to showcase models to show depth, I thought it would be a great idea to use them here.

I have several of those cardboard glasses with plastic red-and-cyan filters from my kid's 3D books. You'll need one to view these photos. I still need to learn how to make them ghost-free.

000MyVeryFirst3DImage-Falcon.jpg

Stereo7.jpg

001Final-FalconUnlit-3D.jpg

Last edited:
That is looking pretty dang good! I love the pose of the Falcon at a typically crazy bank angle.

You could also try getting an F-Toys 1/144 TIE Fighter to chop up (simulate an explosion on one of the rocks and have a half bent TIE wing coming off the asteroid as part of a debris field).

Perfect caption for this diorama would be "They'd be crazy to follow us, wouldn't they?"

Wow, Joseph! Very cool progress so far.

I actually have a pair of those red/green 3D glasses and looked at that series of pics.
The focus was a little off, but it's a really great effect.

Thanks for all your kind comments, guys! I really appreciate it :)

001BetweenAsteroids.jpg

I'm a newbie at 3D photography- sorry for the earlier ones. Here are focus-corrected shots for your red/cyan 3D glasses:

These should be way easier on the eyes now. Anaglyphs have been keeping me awake lately but don't worry I'm getting back on the model.

06FalconInbetweenasteroids.jpg

04FalconAngleFocus-Corrected.jpg

01FalconFocus-Corrected-3D.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back