Fine Molds 1:144 Millennium Falcon (32" Paintjob)

Star Wars Studio Scale Model Paint & Artwork UK has all the original colors used on STAR WARS models
... here's a sample for all the colors used on the 32" Millennium Falcon :

Millennium Falcon ESB.png

32 Top Chronicles.jpg

Chaïm

Last edited:
Maybe take a flash photo of your model so I can analyze the colors of the panels? Like the photo I took.

I had recently mist coated the whole thing since was not happy with the darkness of my panel lines mainly
I had stupidly done dark panel lone washes and it just did not look right
I also went overboard with some of the dirt and grime I had applied
Plus I was wanting to get a more scale look for it's size and also wanted it to look more like seen on screen where a lot of the contrast gets toned down in the final film processing rather than the more contrasted patch work quilt look

As a result it faded some of my panels a bit too much, so my reds for example are too light now and I have to fix those but here is where it is currently at. At some point I intend to revisit it and add slightly darker areas like on the front of the mandibles and fixing the reds to better match the color of the panels near the engines etc...

1678382088884.png

and here is the actual 32" filming model. The original color tone I had on all the darker grey panels was more similar to that dark grey right behind the trapezoid shaped engine well on the bottom right. I had assumed they all started that color, but some of them like the ones on the front near the cockpit got faded more than others. Not sure how accurate that actually is though

1678382176727.png

I think the tone if yours is fine though

If you take both my pictures and save them on your dashboard, you can hold that sample next to whichever panel you like to compare :

Schermafbeelding 2023-03-09 om 19.19.13.png

Alas I did notice that some colors are not currently available from archivex ... still you can use the sample to see if you can find a good replacement from other modelpaint suppliers. Also some colors on the model maybe a mix or blend of those AX numbers too :)

Chaïm

If you take both my pictures and save them on your dashboard, you can hold that sample next to whichever panel you like to compare :

View attachment 1677949

Alas I did notice that some colors are not currently available from archivex ... still you can use the sample to see if you can find a good replacement from other modelpaint suppliers. Also some colors on the model maybe a mix or blend of those AX numbers too :)

Chaïm
Ok. Is AX-004 the base color used on the original model? What equivalent color paint can I find for that one?
For my model, I used Mr. Color Light Gull Gray for the base coat, no primer. The color on the cap does not match the actual paint color, and is more greenish gray when sprayed on.

According to that chart AX-004 is the equivalent of the Floquil color that was used on the original ... do some research in the Studio Scale section and you'll find most of the answers you seek ... also keep in mind that 1/144 scale is a lot smaller than Studio so you have to take that into consideration when painting smaller models.

Chaïm

for the AX-033 color, if using Tamiya paints, XF-19 is probably a good match

for the AX-004 that sample seems a bit dark, but again with Tamiya, probably a mix of XF-20 and tiny bit of XF-2 White

for the AX-006 I would say Tamiya XF-53 or XF-54. Maybe a tiny bit of white added?

Could you post some comparison pictures of the FM 1/144 and Bandai 1/144 next to each other please? I would like to compare their sizes before making a purchase ... JV1138 which do you prefere when it comes to details and crispness of each modelkit?

Chaïm

Could you post some comparison pictures of the FM 1/144 and Bandai 1/144 next to each other please? I would like to compare their sizes before making a purchase ... JV1138 which do you prefere when it comes to details and crispness of each modelkit?

Chaïm
Here's a comparison of the Bandai Falcon and the FM Falcon side-by-side.

20230315_133132.jpg

If I were to choose, I would definitely prefer the Bandai 1:144 Falcon, hands down. It is more intricately detailed, well-engineered, and accurate to the 5 footer, if you want your model to look like the 5 footer. If you're planning to build a model that looks like the 32" model, I would recommend the FM 1:144 Falcon, because it is accurate to the 32" model. I decided to buy both because I wanted to make models of both the 5 footer and the 32 inch model as well.

Here's a comparison of the Bandai Falcon and the FM Falcon side-by-side.

View attachment 1679843

If I were to choose, I would definitely prefer the Bandai 1:144 Falcon, hands down. It is more intricately detailed, well-engineered, and accurate to the 5 footer, if you want your model to look like the 5 footer. If you're planning to build a model that looks like the 32" model, I would recommend the FM 1:144 Falcon, because it is accurate to the 32" model. I decided to buy both because I wanted to make models of both the 5 footer and the 32 inch model as well.

Nice

That is pretty much the same relative size difference between the Bandai PG 1/72 and Fine Molds 1/72

So ... I found a bargain on ebay ... from Germany a Finemolds 1/144 Millennium Falcon with additional 3D shapeways cockpit and more parts ... not very cheap but still less than the one in the model-shop.

Schermafbeelding 2023-03-16 om 18.10.41.png

Pictures from seller on ebay.

So thanks JV1138 for posting your thread and persuading me to buy another modelkit, which will find it's way on the rest of the stash of modelkits ... waiting to be completed. Then again this might be a good model to start my painting skills on, before I tackle my Hasbro Hero 28"Millennium Falcon.

Chaïm

So ... I found a bargain on ebay ... from Germany a Finemolds 1/144 Millennium Falcon with additional 3D shapeways cockpit and more parts ... not very cheap but still less than the one in the model-shop.

View attachment 1680167
Pictures from seller on ebay.

So thanks JV1138 for posting your thread and persuading me to buy another modelkit, which will find it's way on the rest of the stash of modelkits ... waiting to be completed. Then again this might be a good model to start my painting skills on, before I tackle my Hasbro Hero 28"Millennium Falcon.

Chaïm
Not going with the Bandai? Ok, can't wait to see you complete this model. Post updates if you can.

My Hasbro has 3D printed parts to be converted into the 32" Falcon ... and since The Empire Strikes Back was my very first Star Wars movie ... I prefer the Finemolds, so I can have a larger and smaller version of the same ship. I just need to sort out my workplace, before I can tackle any modelkit.

Chaïm

Can anyone find me some really good reference photos of the 32" studio model? Especially flash photos so I can better analyze the color of the paint? Really need some help, because I might repaint some panels again.

Remember that the real 32" is a lot darker than the 5 footer that it is supposed to represent,....if you painted it exactly with the same shades it would be a very grey model

This mandible from the DeAgostini 32" is painted with AX Grime Light,...compared with this Y-Wing cockpit fuselage which is painted with AX Reefer White (the base colour of the 5 Footer)

Use the large photoshopped image that I made that Sym-Cha posted at the top of this page to guide you

tempImages81BOt.png

J

Remember that the real 32" is a lot darker than the 5 footer that it is supposed to represent,....if you painted it exactly with the same shades it would be a very grey model

This mandible from the DeAgostini 32" is painted with AX Grime Light,...compared with this Y-Wing cockpit fuselage which is painted with AX Reefer White (the base colour of the 5 Footer)

Use the large photoshopped image that I made that Sym-Cha posted at the top of this page to guide you

View attachment 1680748

J
The base color you used on your model looks just about the same as the Light Gull Gray base color I used on my model. However, if you can provide a reference of the gray panels on the front-right part of the ship, that would be great.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back