Cracker's 1/144 Finemolds Millennium Falcon Asteroid Field Diorama (3D)

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by crackerjazz, Jan 19, 2012.

1. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

[​IMG]

Bit the bullet and grabbed the burger-sized space burger. There should be a way to fix the jawboxes and parallel mandibles. Swing them in a bit (and put up with the resulting slanted plating which should be barely noticeable. I should be able to live with it. It's the sillhouette that's driving me crazy just looking at.). Box is misleading as it shows the 5-footer, but is really a model of the 32-inch prop. Killer detail for a 1/144 model.

[​IMG]

Molded-on piping in the maintenance pits. Finemolds should have left the piping out so that you could fashion your own.

[​IMG]

The color guides are a feast for the eyes. I still would use photos of the actual 32-inch prop but these guides really inspire you to build.

[​IMG]

Got Helder's go ahead to use his Master Replicas Falcon photos for comparison. Thanks Helder.
    [​IMG]

Printed out Joshua Maruska's plans to 1/144 size and started hacking away.

Joshua Maruska plans over Master Replicas Falcon:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off with the mandibles.

[​IMG]

And the jawboxes, too. Wait, why do I feel like I've done this before?
    [​IMG]

Cut at strategic areas that are flat and easy to putty up afterwards.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to shave off some details. This part is too big - has to go. to scratchbuild later. [​IMG]

Now that feels better. Should've taken a photo before I modded the upper jawbox. I only have the lower one to compare it with.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Re: Cracker's 1/144 Falcon

LOL, you be a sucker for punishment, but I know were ya coming from!!!!!

Good start buddy, I may have a hack at the larger version this weekend.

Ozzy

3. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks, Ozzy - can't help it. You know, I think JunkPilot might be right - now I understand where those Hasbro jawboxes and mandibles came from.

Oh, and got myself one of these: a genuine Scratchy canopy frame. Fantastically-detailed work of art at such a tiny size - just 20mm across.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  4. Scratchy

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Nice work on the mandibles and the jawbox. You know, I haven't even really looked at that area of the kit yet. I'm taking notes!

I'm happy to hear that you like the canopy!

5. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Hmmm yes, I am beging to think the man is a "mini him" maybe 2 foot tall with tiny hands, and what is to us 1/144th scale is to him 1/24th Only explanation for the fine miniture detail.

Nice work scratchy!

Cracker! you still thinking of doing the same to the AMT? Looking at it today, and I dont know if I want to go there. (Sorry for being off topic).

Ozzy

6. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

That's what I thought, Ozzy. Scratchy's amazing :) Regarding the AMT, I'll have to make more measurements. Toe-in looks good at least.

7. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Let me know what you come up with. I am in the cut and past mode, but will be done with it this week. I'll post some pics in the AMT thread., and get you back to the coooooollll! 1/144th cut and past LOL.

cath ya.

Ozzy

8. Scratchy

If you really must know, my 1/144 Falcon is "Life Size" for me :lol

Looking forward to the updates Crackerjazz!

9. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

There you go, Ozzy :) We have someone from "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids."

Thanks, Scratchy. Here she is after the surgery. I'll probably try some Apoxie Sculpt on the cuts. That one near the turret is staring right at me. It's a good thing I found some apoxie from my LHS, a bit expensive but still good considering the shipping cost were I to order it online.
    [​IMG]

Have to find a modeling toolbox with lock and key. My kid keeps borrowing my tools and misplacing them. Lost my Tamiya sidecutters today and he wouldn't admit. He could be telling the truth, though. I'm fighting with my memory everyday. Even that lower jawbox front plate (the one with the "lights") is missing. Rewinding the video tape in my head is no use. I just can't remember what I did with it after staring at it for the longest time and telling myself it's something I shouldn't lose as it has some difficult-to-scratchbuild details.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  10. tek2graphics

tek2graphics Well-Known Member

LOL!! Love what you're doing! Great job!!!! Waiting for more!!!!!

11. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

LOL:lol

12. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

I know what you mean about fighting with your memory, I have the same dailey strugle. Its hard to point a finger when you can not remember what you had for breakfast. I hope you find them me old mate.

Ozzy

13. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Ozzy, Tek2graphics, thanks!

Had a little incident last night during more cutting - one forceful slip of the x-acto knife resulted in a pool of red hydraulic fluid streaming out of my stabbed left thumb and sending me jumping up and down. Yeeeeooooowwww!! Finemolds if you're listening, can you correct the mandibles and jawbox for your next Falcon tooling to save fans with obsessive-compulsive disorder the pain of trying to correct it? And maybe you can make a 5-footer instead of the 32-inch :)

This Uwe Fischer photo will be really helpful. That elongated mandible tab needs to be made longer on the Finemolds to almost meet the jawbox edge. The tips of the mandibles need to be chopped a bit to line up flush horizontally after swinging them inwards. Need to measure, too, if the mandibles need to be shortened a bit more or if it's just me that needs to stop.
    [​IMG]

Colin Droidmilk mentioned somewhere the mandibles' spacing needs to be as wide as the cockpit (and jawbox front end). Dry-fitted them on before I finally glue them in place. It's starting to look like a real Falcon now after the toe-in adjustment. When you're in the heat of doing stuff sometimes you don't want to take photos and lose the momentum, but I really should have taken a photo of how much I cut from the back of the mandibles to document every step, and especially so that I'll remember what brought about my thumb mishap.
    [​IMG]

I'm sure it will look even better when dressed in a nice weathered paintjob.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  14. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

"Finemolds if you're listening, can you correct the mandibles and jawbox for your next Falcon tooling to save fans with obsessive-compulsive disorder the pain of trying to correct it? And maybe you can make a 5-footer instead of the 32-inch"

I think they would rather just put us on medication! its cheaper LOL:lol

Ozzy

15. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Worked on this fine piece of Scratchy engineering. Packed some clay under it and took my time to carve out the thin webbing. I was very careful not to cut the frame accidentally. Then sanded from beneath to remove any excess material.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Scratchy

WOW! Those mandibles look so much better, this will diffinatly be on the "To Do" list!!!

17. Dedalus5550

Dedalus5550 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The standard answer is fat chance (which also means the same thing as "slim chance" for some reason), but I wonder about this. (And this all assumes the idea that FM's license limits its accuracy--a view I don't subscribe to.) So many people who really want this kit have it. So many people--if not at first, then eventually--plopped down the money for it. And yet how many of use would be all over a new tool kit with correct mandibles? I have three 72nd scale kits, and I'd easily buy three more with corrected mandibles and jaw boxes. Corrected radar dish? Corrected taller profile? Now I'm just salivating.

Re-releasing the kit in it's current form certainly gets the attention of those almost tempted to pay $600 for it on ebay when it's out of production. But pretty soon, FM will be done with most of the remainders, and a new tool may be necessary.

18. Randy13

Randy13 Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the work you’re putting into this Crackerjazz. What a big difference with those mandibles. Keep up the great work! All these falcon builds are wonderful to watch and starting to make me feel less intimidated at starting my old AMT kit.

19. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks, guys! :) Randy13, glad you're enjoying the build. Don't forget to post photos when you get to it.

One downside to a really small Falcon model is the molded-on piping - the high ones in the maintenance pits will look like walls - rather hard to fix. I wanted to leave them alone but I'll try to see what I can do.
    [​IMG]

Didn't realize how sorry my sidecutter's blades look until I saw my photo. That's what I get for using it on metal rods.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those mandibles become really nice and meaty with details on:
    [​IMG]

I'm really happy with Scratchy's prop-like glassless canopy. Dry-fitting it on. Have to fix the front a bit but it looks really nice.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  20. El Visitor

El Visitor Member

OMG!!! You're insane my man, this is gonna be awesome!

I just recieved my FM in the post and I was considering a little cosmetic work around the mandibles but I'd be terrified to cut into it that much!

Looks like you've got the necessary skills though. Nice work. :)

21. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

El Visitor, thanks! :)

The model has grilles in the back.
    [​IMG]

All the prop had, though, was what looks like some sort of translucent plastic strip. This old
    alcohol plastic bottle might do the trick.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This might help with lighting up the engine too - not yet sure if I'll do that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  22. tek2graphics

Looks good!
    BTW How's the thumb?:$

23. Scratchy

That piece cut out of the bottle is a good idea, it should do the trick. As for the plastic piping, I've been cutting some off around the vents on mine. I've been using an xacto chisel blade, a small chisel set and rotary tool, followed up with some fine sandpaper.

Sweet work Crackerjazz!

24. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks, guys! :) tek2graphics, my thumb's all healed up now, thanks. I made sure I covered it so that plastic dust won't find its way into the wound. I had that happen to me once and suffered for a whole month and had to perform self-surgery to take the foreign matter out.

Removed the tabs in the back:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For preventing light leaks and reflecting the light:
    [​IMG]

Oh my, what poor soldering skills! Still have lots of spare super-bright LEDs but I wish I hadn't cut their legs off. Hot glued them side by side. I'll probably glue together about 20 of these in an arc for the whole back. This is just a quick-and-dirty setup (to become permanent if I get lazy) - just want to test what 4 of these can do. If it doesn't work I scrap the lighting part.

[​IMG]

Borrowed my kid's toy's battery holder. [​IMG]

Hmmm, not bad. I noticed the lights shouldn't sit too close to the diffuser but farther inwards. Otherwise they show as individual round lights even when packed together. Here the LEDs are actually way in there - close to the turret.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  25. tek2graphics

SUPER NICE!!! Lighting looks easy!
    Was it?

26. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Re: Cracker's 1/144 Finemolds Falcon

Thanks, tek2graphics! : ) found lighting quite enjoyable but I have to admit I'm not an expert - just the simple circuits for me. I don't really light up my models but I guess the Falcon is meant to be lit, especially if you want to display it in-flight. Oh, I use silver solder now - nice! - I used to use rosin-core lead which can "spit" at you, not to mention the harmful effects of lead.

27. tek2graphics

Cool, thanks. I have a FM Falcon too.. and I agree.. it's meant to be lit! Never done it, but am really tempted to!

28. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

tek2graphics, do post pics when you get started on it. I'll probably try to make a frame for the LEDs - I'm not yet sure if they'll heat up and soften the hot glue that's holding them together, haha. The things we worry about.

[​IMG]

29. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Filed the sides of the LED flanges flat then tried some CA to glue the LEDs together and, strangely, that doesn't work. Some strange type of plastic they're made out of that CA glue won't bond them together? I ended up cutting styrene in an arc and spread some water-weld on it like spreading peanut butter on bread then pushed the LEDs in one by one. I'll wire these up and see how they perform.

[​IMG]

30. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Wired it up and checked lighting. Sorry for the number of photos - just had to take a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bleed-through is evident on areas not covered with foil. Will work on those and extend another LED to the cockpit and that's it for lighting I guess. Probably won't light up the turret as it looks like unchecked bleed-through when lit.
    [​IMG]

31. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Wow let there be light beautiful JOB!!!!!!(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

32. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks 3d-builder! :)

Finished shaving off all the molded-on piping from the maintenance pits and glued the pits on. Will work on the tiny piping next. I wonder if shaving them off was worth the trouble - they're so small the difference won't be that noticeable.

[​IMG]

Also cut up some spokes from an old bike wheel for the stand. Wanted a solid slab for the base but I thought a hollow one would be better to put batteries or any electricals in so I cut up some 1/4" plywood pieces and glued them together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  33. tek2graphics

Cant wait to see more updates!!!! :thumbsup

34. sqbiedoo

sqbiedoo Well-Known Member

What the hack....you stole my idea for the stand mate ;-) guess I have to come up with a new one:-(

Excellent work CJ, two thumbs up!

35. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks, tek2graphics and sqbiedoo! Hey, sqbie, didn't know you had a similar idea for the stand, sorry. That proves we Falcon fans are connected to a collective mind and can communicate telepathically. :)

36. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Stand looks great! nice update.

ozzy

37. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Ozzy, thanks! :)

Lately I've been dreaming about making fake space rocks. I know I bought a nichrome wire styrofoam cutter a long time ago but I couldn't find it anywhere so I have to make do with the razor blade. Hard to cut deeply with it though. And harder to make curves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I read about grout being a prime candidate for surfacing fake rocks. It can crack, though, if not mixed with acrylic polymer. Acrylic polymer?? I wasn't sure if I can obtain that easily from a nearby hardware center, so maybe I'll just try the wall filler - I just hope it's not something that would melt my styrofoam asteroid.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  38. Captain Han Solo

Captain Han Solo Sr Member

Looking great Sir!

39. tek2graphics

AW MAN!!!!! THat's GREAT!!!!!! :facepalm(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

40. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

tek2graphics, thanks! :)

Slopped on the filler.

[​IMG]

And put on some pockmarks. I'll try to experiment a bit more.
    [​IMG]

41. Scratchy

Now that's a good idea for the display stand, it really adds drama to the display!

42. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Beatlepaul, tek2graphics, Scratchy, thanks! Lonepigeon, thanks for letting me use your back panel.

Printed out Chris Trevas (lonepigeon)'s back panel on a piece of paper. (See SteveStarkiller's thread for images from his book). Sprayed it with clear matte front and back to stiffen it up a bit and protect the powder ink. I wanted to see how it looks lit from behind.

A real high-resolution laser printer would help. I wanted to cut out the polygon shape
    at first but changed my mind. Rounded off the edges.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinking about cutting out the doorway and pushing it back in but I might mess it up.
    Maybe double-printing would help darken the dark areas more but I was worried they wouldn't
    align and close off the tiny light details. Need to look for white LED.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  43. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Actually, double printing might indeed do the job since the black areas should be more opaque yet the white areas would potentially remain translucent (and two sheets of paper stock would dim the lights a bit more to make it scale effect).

DAYUM! :eek

You're going all out on this 1/144 beastie. At least these little Falcons won't break the bank in the event of a mess up, but this is still very cool just the same. I think you totally hit insane ville when you decided to alter the jawbox. But I am really liking the results.

As for asteroids, what about raw foam blocks brushed with acetone to get them to melt? That is how I've heard it was done in the effects industry (not necessarily Star Wars mind you).

44. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

JMChladek, thanks! I'll try them out. That asteroid-making technique really sounds interesting. The filler is rather hard to sculpt being sticky and all - and difficult to create those pockmarks. I know I've seen a type of dense foam somewhere around the house that would probably be good for your method. And I hope it cooperates with the hot-wire cutter.

45. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this is all VERY cool work. I now want to do another one of these (at the same time, Idon't want to end up with a house full of falcons)

46. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Buddy looking fantastic. Sent you a pm, my graphics may help with higher resolution and I have added a few pics of how I have done my backlighting. Or you could also do what Scratchy did, which turned out fantastic as well.

On this one I had 2 seting for the backlighting, high and low. To sort of simulate how it looks when han shuts the power down.

[​IMG]

PS; didnt the ILM guys also use a potato for some of the aseroids, you could try that LOL.

Ozzy

47. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

that looks excellent back lit!!:thumbsup

48. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks Astroboy, 3D-builder! :)

JMChladek, couldn't find the foam - really want to try that acetone technique.

Ozzy, thanks - your lighting looks really good! I realized the 1/144's cockpit is really so tiny though to have all the graphics in. I hardly see the panels with the canopy on. But I'll give it a try with the bigger one.

Will try to research into asteroid painting.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  49. tek2graphics

Re: Cracker's 1/144 Finemolds Millennium Falcon

Lol!!! That's looking great!!!!!!!

50. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Re: Cracker's 1/144 Finemolds Millennium Falcon

Some progress shots:

Asteroid painting. I guess these are young asteroids. From what I've read, the older
    they are the redder they become. I can see some asteroids in ESB as brown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've glued the hull halves together so no more retouch on the internal wiring without prying it open.
    I guess I'll just have to clean up the outer ones, then patch up some seams, glue on the other
    small parts and start priming and painting the model.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012