Correcting the Revell and Jazware's Micro Galaxy Squadron Imperial Shuttle proportions

I'm really liking those micro collection subjects, and many seem to be close enough for 1/72. Might have to pick up that Republic Gunship, if nothing else I can use the gun pods as donors for the Revell kit

Also Bo Katans fighter looks pretty cool as well as the Jedi fighters
I agree. Its the CLOSEST I've ever seen to the studio model!

Likewise, I've been so close to pulling the trigger on a Republic gunship. I've seen a few variants at Target several times, but I've held off. One day I'll get one for sure. The Slave 1 seems decent too. The Falcon has the all too common large cockpit and x-wing cockpit angles seem slightly off to me. Tie fighter seem great and so does the Snowspeeder though

Yikes, 3 months since my last post. Well I've pretty much finished my R2 1/32 Tie, and a certain probe droid competition, so today I decided to tackle this Jazware shuttle again and began trimming up the neck. I trimmed, sanded and hacked the neck sand body until it was manageable, then had to figure out how to reverse engineer all the little springs and gears so the wings move as one internally. After some doing I figured it out and screwed in the top with the bottom. I still need add some styrene to cover hole created under the neck, but it looks much better already.

Please note I haven't worked on the guns turrets yet, yes I need to sand the sides of the main body where the wings fit to it's prettier, clean up the neck more with styrene and cover those holes, right now it's very ugly, and this will be getting repainted as well. At least I think the neck is much better and hopefully the hard part is over..

20240121_010737.jpg20240121_010725_1.jpg

Yikes, 3 months since my last post. Well I've pretty much finished my R2 1/32 Tie, and a certain probe droid competition, so today I decided to tackle this Jazware shuttle again and began trimming up the neck. I trimmed, sanded and hacked the neck sand body until it was manageable, then had to figure out how to reverse engineer all the little springs and gears so the wings move as one internally. After some doing I figured it out and screwed in the top with the bottom. I still need add some styrene to cover hole created under the neck, but it looks much better already.

Please note I haven't worked on the guns turrets yet, yes I need to sand the sides of the main body where the wings fit to it's prettier, clean up the neck more with styrene and cover those holes, right now it's very ugly, and this will be getting repainted as well. At least I think the neck is much better and hopefully the hard part is over..

View attachment 1780878View attachment 1780879
Looks wonderful! Did you taker pics when you disassembled it?

Added some primer and painted the gray markings.

Still debating how much work I want to put into this... Where the cockpit hinge was (to reveal the interior of the cockpit since this was a toy), I'm still debating on filling it in so it's more flush with the rest of cockpit but that might be a pain...
20240128_092309_1.jpg

They've got these on sale for $9 at my local Walmart. Maybe I should get a few more of them so I can try this.
Go for it! Fun little project. It's a lot less work in some ways than making the Revell model kit accurate like I did earlier in this thread, but it's even smaller, so there's that.

Getting closer! I need to figure out what to do with the boarding ramp. It originally snapped into place with the toy, but I had to ditch that when I trimmed the neck. I might just use it when it's landed. Another annoying aspect of the toy is the wings don't fold all the way up like the studio model, they're more vertical when up. Still debating if I can fix that or not...

20240130_222724_1.jpg20240130_222453_1.jpg

Well I'm pretty much done. The list of mods is pretty short: I did surgery to shorten the height of the neck, slightly realigned the cockpit angle and filled in the gap it produced at the base of the body. I filled in all the screw holes with putty and sanded it. I filled in the side seams as well, and a few other areas and lastly I replaced all the turrets with little brass tubes. It was completely primed and repainted as well. I decided to keep the synchronized wings which was a pain to reverse engineer. I'm also shocked at how close my Revell modified shuttle is compared to the toy size wise! Anyways, thanks for looking!
20240131_221805_1_1_1.jpg20240131_221756_1_1_1.jpg20240131_221745_1_1_1_1_1.jpg20240131_221735_1_1.jpg20240131_221644_1.jpg20240131_221633_1.jpg20240131_221539_1_1.jpg20240131_221534_1_1.jpg20240131_221421_1_1.jpg20240131_221411_1_1.jpg20240131_223307_1_1.jpg20240131_223645_1_1.jpg20240131_223625_1_1.jpg

That's amazing ... well done jusdrewit ... now I don't know if you are aware yet Robert James from Robert James Models on Fb has recreated a screen-accurate 3D Shuttle Tyderium ready to be printed in 1/72 or smaller and even in Studio Scale after some adjustments ... check his work in progress out ... it's incredible :)

Here's a teaser picture of all his work :

423537778_10161672567666579_3115313777880639694_n.jpg

Chaïm

That's amazing ... well done jusdrewit ... now I don't know if you are aware yet Robert James from Robert James Models on Fb has recreated a screen-accurate 3D Shuttle Tyderium ready to be printed in 1/72 or smaller and even in Studio Scale after some adjustments ... check his work in progress out ... it's incredible :)

Here's a teaser picture of all his work :

View attachment 1785761

Chaïm
Thank you!

And yup I've been following closely! I even made a Facebook profile to solely follow modeling news haha lol I've been tempted to go for the hat trick with a MPC model, but I might just call it quits and wait for this beauty

Well since the news about Shapeways more brittle tan colored plastic, I think getting that expensive upgraded cockpit for the MPC kit is out of the question for me now ... I can only hope Robert James will offer completed 3D printed kits for those without 3D printers :)

Chaïm

Well since the news about Shapeways more brittle tan colored plastic, I think getting that expensive upgraded cockpit for the MPC kit is out of the question for me now ... I can only hope Robert James will offer completed 3D printed kits for those without 3D printers :)

Chaïm
That's a great point, I think MPC might be off the table unless I scratch built most of it from styrene.

On a side note, I've a big fan of Merlin Models, but I've been disappointed with their shuttle photos:

FB_IMG_1707016085384_1.jpg
Cockpit appears too thick imo

InCollage_20240203_202126947.jpg
Space between engine placement is clearly too far apart vs studio model, unacceptable imo again.

On yet another note, I've also been following Phoenix Modeling on FB and his shuttle kits look light-years better then Merlin's, and just gorgeous:
FB_IMG_1707018933048.jpgFB_IMG_1707018853722.jpg

Well perhaps you can tell Phoenix Modeling that this extra layer on his dorsal fin is wrong (see red arrow)

Phoenix Modeling.jpg

... it should merely be a scribed line :

Shuttle Tyderium Composite.jpg

Perhaps Tab039 can explain how he made his dorsal fin and wings?

Chaïm

Last edited:
As a heads up to anyone who's interested in a beautiful shuttle, I believe Robert James Tydirium STLs are finally finished and available for purchase from what I'm hearing. This should be the gold standard for shuttles at this point and put my model/toy conversions to shame lol

I have always loved the Lambda class Shuttle, my favourite of all SW ships, a beautiful and elegant design. I'm looking for a model myself to fill the void left by Bandai's reluctance to make one :( I have joined the FB group but I could not print the files myself so I'm not sure what I would do.

I have read through this thread and its motivated me to have a go, great work on both! Would you say the Jazwares is the better option?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back