Correcting the Revell and Jazware's Micro Galaxy Squadron Imperial Shuttle proportions

Well, she's not pretty, but perhaps she's got it where it counts. I think I'm 98% done. One day I might completely scratch build the 2 side wings from scratch and I also want to swap the lights from using an electrical outlet to batteries. But I think I'm burnt out lol time for a little break before the next project! Thanks to everyone for the advice, tips, reference, schematics, suggestions etc, it was really invaluable. Here she is!

View attachment 1713935View attachment 1713937View attachment 1713938View attachment 1713939View attachment 1713940View attachment 1713941View attachment 1713942View attachment 1713943View attachment 1713944View attachment 1713945View attachment 1713946View attachment 1713947View attachment 1713948View attachment 1713949View attachment 1713950View attachment 1713951View attachment 1713952View attachment 1713953View attachment 1713954View attachment 1713955View attachment 1713956View attachment 1713957View attachment 1713958View attachment 1713959

Lastly that comparison of where I started to where it ended:
View attachment 1713960

Looks fantastic! Way better than the stock kit

JQdkG*.jpg

jusdrewit, I took the liberty to add your Imperial Shuttle Tyderium into Return of the Jedi ... to celebrate your accomplishments . . . my young apprentice!

Chaïm

Last edited:
Congratulations ... in true prop making fashion ... don't make it real, make it believable ... you have succeeded!

Chaïm
Thank you! It sure was a test. Of course looking back, I would do so much different. Made so many mistakes, but I'm pretty proud of it. It will do, at least until I can get a nice accurate STL haha
That actually turned out really great. The comparison picture. If we didn't know it was the same model just fixed up, wouldn't believe it was the same one.
Of course you will ALWAYS know and see the imperfections being the one who worked on it, while no one else will.
The curse of an artist.
Thank you! And yeah it's probably 50/50 plastic vs styrene haha. and yeah from 3 feet away it looks pretty good, just don't get too close lol

Looks fantastic! Way better than the stock kit
Thanks Analyzer, that was my intent! I've longed to this since i had my MPC, but i finally decided to bite the bullet and cross this off my bucket list.

View attachment 1714244

jusdrewit, I took the liberty to add your Imperial Shuttle Tyderium into Return of the Jedi ... to celebrate your accomplishments . . . my young apprentice!

Chaïm
Oh man! I love this, it looks great! Thanks for adding the lights on the wings lol

Just bought the Jazware's Imperial Shuttle from the Micro Galaxy Squadron line. Surprisingly, it's more accurate than the stock MPC shuttle kit IMO, despite it being a toy. So far the only real out of proportion item is that the neck appears too thick. The guns are obviously too thick but that's an relatively easy fix. Most importantly the dorsal and side wings appear the regular size too as does the main body thickness and cockpit profile. It's a bit smaller than my modified Revell kit.

Hmm....I might need to do a quick modification on his and fix the neck

20230825_203540.jpg20230825_203507.jpg20230825_203307.jpg20230825_203637.jpg20230825_203559.jpg...

Last edited:
Thanks for this quick review jusdrewit ... I saw this Imperial Shuttle on ebay and noticed the weird thick neck immediately ... I'm on the fence whether I should get one, when locally available that is. Meanwhile here's an upgraded picture of the original model as an inspiration we all strive for ;)

Lambda2.jpg

Picture courtesy ILM

Chaïm

And just when I decided today to go get me a nice cockpit upgrade from shapeways since they had a new grey plastic like material introduced a couple of months ago ... guess what they only offer it in either the regular even more expensive clear ultra fine detail variant . . . or this weird tan color :

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-27 om 00.05.02.png

And I know that you'll repaint the cockpit and all ... but boy did this turn me off for now :mad:

Chaïm

Please do take and share your progress pictures :)

Chaïm

P.S. You can change the title of your thread to : 'Correcting the Revell and Jazware's Micro Galaxy Squadron Imperial Shuttle proportions'

Last edited:
What scale is it?

Some of that micro galaxy stuff seems very close to 1/72, but as you get into larger ships, the scale shrinks

from what I can tell the figures are about 1" tall which would make them 1/72 (assuming they are not freakishly proportioned) and the troop transport and a couple of vehicles looked close enough.

I am guessing this one is a bit smaller though

What scale is it?

Some of that micro galaxy stuff seems very close to 1/72, but as you get into larger ships, the scale shrinks

from what I can tell the figures are about 1" tall which would make them 1/72 (assuming they are not freakishly proportioned) and the troop transport and a couple of vehicles looked close enough.

I am guessing this one is a bit smaller though
Let me measure it when I get home. It comes with the Emperor and 2 Royal Guards, and they are about 1 inch tall, but I suspect they should be a bit smaller and were enlarged for the toy factor

Let me measure it when I get home. It comes with the Emperor and 2 Royal Guards, and they are about 1 inch tall, but I suspect they should be a bit smaller and were enlarged for the toy factor
Just measured … right at 7.25 inches from the tip of the nose to the back of the engine housing.

I'd really be interested in replacements for the rubbery guns and, and to a slightly lesser degree (only because it is at least made of a material I can paint), the neck.

Really hoping Jazwares will offer a sandcrawler at some point. In addition to the Lambda shuttle, I have the AT-AT, Razor Crest, Gauntlet fighter, and the Delta 7B.

SSB

Just measured … right at 7.25 inches from the tip of the nose to the back of the engine housing.

I'd really be interested in replacements for the rubbery guns and, and to a slightly lesser degree (only because it is at least made of a material I can paint), the neck.

Really hoping Jazwares will offer a sandcrawler at some point. In addition to the Lambda shuttle, I have the AT-AT, Razor Crest, Gauntlet fighter, and the Delta 7B.

SSB
Thanks! Yeah I'm currently pondering how to make the neck thinner, but also retain the boarding ramp feature, and make it as easy as possible for myself. Decisions decisions

"You got juts kid!" So, how much damage did you do to the toy? thinking about doing the same to mine. (that's why i got 2)
Thanks! So far no huge damage, the upper and lower portion of the hull were really tight even after I had all the screws removed. There's even a few screws hidden under some plastic that's glued as covers, so I had to drill through the plastic to get to them. Even then I had to run it into hot water and it eventually came lose, but one internal peg broke which is no deal. Unfortunately the way they have the internal gear system setup so the wings go up and down together kinda got all messed up and I forgot to take a picture, so hopefully I can reverse engineer that later, but if I can't it's not a big deal.

I'm still in a holding pattern on this project as I really want to make as few dremel cuts as possible and with the way it's all setup it makes it a bit convoluted, so I'm still mulling it over lol good luck on yours! Once that neck is fixed it will be a real nice piece. I also plan on redoing the guns with small rods and repainting it.

I'm really liking those micro collection subjects, and many seem to be close enough for 1/72. Might have to pick up that Republic Gunship, if nothing else I can use the gun pods as donors for the Revell kit

Also Bo Katans fighter looks pretty cool as well as the Jedi fighters

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back