Correcting the Revell and Jazware's Micro Galaxy Squadron Imperial Shuttle proportions

jusdrewit

Sr Member
I've waited years for Bandai to make this and sadly it looks like this lovely model will never get made and all studio scale ones are way too pricey for me. All commercial shuttle kits suffer from inaccurate proportions (which appears to be what the full size set in Rotj was based on) rather than the studio scale model which to me looks way better and much more graceful to (see below)
Shuttle Tyderium Comparison.jpg

Many talented folks here have made jaw dropping mods to their Kenner/Hasbro shuttle toy which actually has the correct proportions, it just need lots of work to convert them from a toy to a faithful replica but it's very large and I just don't have the space.... Which leads me to this next project.

My attempt at this will be far more crude. I just want accurate proportions, and I will do my best with what limited skills I have, but I know it won't be anywhere close to others on here but I'll give it my best shot. I know some things will be too difficult to fully correct, so this attempt will just be as close as i can get without redoing everything from scratch.

This Revell kit is far smaller than the MPC shuttle kit I made as a teen that had awful fitting issues where the wings met the body, so the smaller size makes it easy to work with thankfully.
20230603_224944_1.jpg

My first step was to attack the cockpit. Out of the box, the kit has it at a much lower, aggressive 'downward' looking stance, where the studio model has the head far more upward and streamlined. I had some accurate blueprints of the shuttle, so I scaled it to the correct size of my Revell model on my computer and printed it off to use as a template. I had to raise where the cockpit attaches to the body by dremeling holes and then I severely hacked away at the neck to reorient the angle to match my template. I also thinned the neck as it was way too thick which took more dremeling to shrink it down horizontally. I also trimmed some areas under the cockpit to match better. Lastly I covered my mess with some styrene. Later I will go back and add panel lines, greeblies etc.

20230603_215743_1.jpg
20230603_214449_1.jpg

Next onto the main dorsel wing. The shape with this one is way off too, even if I trim the kits fin getting the right angles, the panel lines won't match and it will just be ugly, so I'm afraid I'll have to recreate the whole thing from scratch with styrene. Stay tuned! :)

Last edited:
2nd update. I've worked up a major portion of the main dorsel fin, I just need to clean up and sand some of the lines and then add additional panel lines with my scribing tool and add little pieces of styrene later but it's a good rough start.
20230604_140359_1.jpg20230604_140418_1.jpg

The cockpit I had to readjust again, but I still haven't glued it yet. Obviously there's a ton of clean up to do here, sanding/filling/and smoothing even the kit parts to make it look better. Everything is just roughly fit together but so far I'm cautiously optimistic how this is looking so far. Thx for looking
20230604_140447_1.jpg

Great progress jusdrewit ... here's a picture of the actual model, you may like, ... you can clearly see the neckpart goes further into the cockpit :

KG_STUDIO_TYDIRIUM-031.jpg

I'm still contemplating whether I should get that expensive upgrade cockpit from Shapeways for my MPC Tyderium ... especially since they have a new grey plastic 3D printed option available. Still that would leave me, like you, with a scratchbuild dorsal fin. Looking forward to your progress :)

Chaïm

Great progress jusdrewit ... here's a picture of the actual model, you may like, ... you can clearly see the neckpart goes further into the cockpit :

View attachment 1707530

I'm still contemplating whether I should get that expensive upgrade cockpit from Shapeways for my MPC Tyderium ... especially since they have a new grey plastic 3D printed option available. Still that would leave me, like you, with a scratchbuild dorsal fin. Looking forward to your progress :)

Chaïm
Thanks for the photo! That will help out a lot. Yeah, I first attempted doing massive surgery on the way too tall dorsal fin of the stock part, but after attempting it just didn't look good so I l bit the bullet as 3d printed parts also seemed way to pricey lol I wish I still had my MPC Tydirium, but I sadly threw it away years ago. If you ever take the plunge would love to see your progress!

Following for sure and nice work so far! This is one of my favorite Star Wars ships of all time. Its super sleek and clean.

Looking forward to how this one turns out.

Looking again at your scratched dorsal wing . . . I still think it needs to be slightly enlarged to sit properly . . .
see red arrows on this schematic :

Shuttle T-02*.jpg

Also I already made this next 'sketch' to compare the relation between the dorsal fin and the cockpit :

Shuttle Tyderium Comparison-02.jpg

Below is a cut-out I made in photoshop of the actual dorsal fin and perhaps you can still use some of the greeblie parts from you Revell dorsal fin, right?

Shuttle Dorsal Wing B-W 150dpi.jpg

Some more pictures of the actual model :

KG_STUDIO_TYDIRIUM-052.jpg

KG_STUDIO_TYDIRIUM-006.jpg

As you can see I've done most of the research and build up a file with pictures, if you need more just ask .... and indeed all I need to do now is take the plunge with my MPC, when funds permit ;)

Chaïm

Last edited:
Looking again at your scratched dorsal wing . . . I still think it needs to be slightly enlarged to sit properly . . .
see red arrows on this schematic :

View attachment 1707665

Also I already made this next 'sketch' to compare the relation between the dorsal fin and the cockpit :

View attachment 1707658

Below is a cut-out I made in photoshop of the actual dorsal fin and perhaps you can still use some of the greeblie parts from you Revell dorsal fin, right?

View attachment 1707655

Some more pictures of the actual model :

View attachment 1707656

View attachment 1707657

As you can see I've done most of the research and build up a file with pictures, if you need more just ask .... and indeed all I need to do now is take the plunge with my MPC, when funds permit ;)

Chaïm
This is absolutely fantastic material. I can't thank you enough!

After looking closely at your helpful diagram above, I think I have the correct angles off the cockpit in relation to the front of the dorsal fin, those red lines helped tremendously and they match pretty closely, at least close enough where I won't worry about it very much:
sketch1685971978042_1.png

The problem I think, and it's major problem, is that the stock cargo body is way too long:
Shuttle comparison1.jpg
Looking at that rough comparison I made, I think the only fix is to under go some major surgery to shorten it. It also appears like the lower portion of the hull, where the wings attach is also too wide in relation to schematic... My goodness this kit is a mess lol

Last edited:
Instead of a schematic ... here's an upgraded large side-shot composite of the original Shuttle Tyderium in black and white :

View attachment 1707818

Chaïm
Man you're single handily saving this build with these reference pics, Thank you!

I progressed a bit more today and boy did I perform some major surgery and I hope i haven't bit off more than I can chew...

My first surgery was to shorten the end of the main body as it stuck out to far. I lightly drew where i wanted it cut, and then Dremeled away shaving about 1/4 inch or so.
20230606_193813_1.jpg

The second surgery was to slice the entire upper portion of the body horizontally, making it thinner to match my references. Again I sliced about 1/4 inch off and sanded it all it so it fit decently. There's a noticable gap, but I will fill that in with putty and sand it later. This is where I panicked thinking what have i done lol
20230606_204646_1.jpg20230606_205449_1.jpg

The last surgery was to Dremel out the rear wall that the back gun plate fit against. My reference pics show it set further back and since I had shortened the outer wall it was set in, it was now too close so I needed to carve that the back wall so the rear gun piece could be repositioned further back.
20230606_200007_1.jpg

Lastly, the engine piece also needed to be trimmed due to all my surgeries. There is now a noticable gap on the top but i can easily cover that with styrene later.

I snapped some pics with the pieces dry fitted together roughly, no glue, just to see where I'm at visually. One of my wings appears to be a bit warped, so I'll need to deal with that later. In terms of accuracy, I haven't even looked at the 2 other wings, but they seem too long or off to my eye slightly? I'll check later but if they are off drastically I have a feeling I might be scratch building those as well. Well, that's all for now!
20230606_213506_1.jpg
20230606_213727_1.jpg
20230606_213746_1.jpg
20230606_213759_1.jpg

In the words of Obi-Wan, "He's more machine than man."........its more scratch built that revell....

It looks really good now. Trying to get one of these shuttles to look just right is tricky, so tricky that no model manufacture seems to ever get it right, despite also using the incredibly wrong set piece instead as well.
Funny how the Kenner toy is really the closest over all look and shape, but still needs plenty work and to get that toy look off.

Kinda surprising that Bandai doesn't make a shuttle. Like the perfect grade Falcon, they could have the perfect grade shuttle. I'd buy that as soon as I could....afford it.
I wonder if its due to a Disney/licensing thing?
Or maybe Disney told them to push the ST over the OT.
Anyone might know here?

Thanks jusdrewit ... I enhanced these 2 diagrams so you can check your wonderful work in progress :

Shuttle T-01*.jpg

Shuttle T-03*.jpg

JediMichael ... the only manufacturers that got it 'right' were Anigrand, F-Toys and Hallmark in different scales ... here are some pictures :

Anigrand Lambda Shuttle-00.jpg

Anigrand Lambda Shuttle-03.jpg

F-Toys Star Wars Vehicle 7 Imperial Shuttle 1-350-01*.jpg

F-Toys Star Wars Vehicle 7 Imperial Shuttle 1-350-06*.jpg

F-Toys Star Wars Vehicle 7 Imperial Shuttle 1-350-08*.jpg

Hallmark Imperial Shuttle-00.jpg

Hallmark Imperial Shuttle-01.jpg

Hallmark Imperial Shuttle-02.jpg

As you can see the Hallmark's Imperial Shuttle has lights and it plays the 'Imperial March' from Return of the Jedi ... it's a lovely X-mas ornament ;)

Chaïm

In the words of Obi-Wan, "He's more machine than man."........its more scratch built that revell....

It looks really good now. Trying to get one of these shuttles to look just right is tricky, so tricky that no model manufacture seems to ever get it right, despite also using the incredibly wrong set piece instead as well.
Funny how the Kenner toy is really the closest over all look and shape, but still needs plenty work and to get that toy look off.

Kinda surprising that Bandai doesn't make a shuttle. Like the perfect grade Falcon, they could have the perfect grade shuttle. I'd buy that as soon as I could....afford it.
I wonder if its due to a Disney/licensing thing?
Or maybe Disney told them to push the ST over the OT.
Anyone might know here?
Haha so true :lol: and thank you! The look of the shuttle is SO tricky, you adjust one angle, and then that affects another angle which sets off a domino effect of changes. I'm realizing it will never be as pretty as a tricked out Kenner toy, but as long as it looks a bit better I'll be happy. At least until I can 3d print myself an accurate one lol.

And I have idea why Bandai never did, even at a smaller scale. The shuttle has been made by MPC, Revell over the years, etc so it's not that obscure of a kit, and I think it would've sold well. Ah well... :(

Thanks jusdrewit ... I enhanced these 2 diagrams so you can check your wonderful work in progress :

View attachment 1708362

View attachment 1708363

JediMichael ... the only manufacturers that got it 'right' were Anigrand, F-Toys and Hallmark in different scales ... here are some pictures :

View attachment 1708378

View attachment 1708379

View attachment 1708380

View attachment 1708381

View attachment 1708382

View attachment 1708383

View attachment 1708384

View attachment 1708385

As you can see the Hallmark's Imperial Shuttle has lights and it plays the 'Imperial March' from Return of the Jedi ... it's a lovely X-mas ornament ;)

Chaïm
Saving those references right now, those will help tremendously as I'm going to tackle the 2 side wings next. My urge to clean up and make that model prettier is getting strong as it sure looks rough in it's current state.

And yup, the only accurate model I have of the shuttle is my tiny cute F-toy model of it. Did FantasyFlight games ever make an accurate one? I can't remember

Last edited:

View attachment 1708362

View attachment 1708363

View attachment 1708378

View attachment 1708379

View attachment 1708380

View attachment 1708381

View attachment 1708382

View attachment 1708383

View attachment 1708384

View attachment 1708385

Chaïm
Haha so true :lol: and thank you! The look of the shuttle is SO tricky, you adjust one angle, and then that affects another angle which sets off a domino effect of changes. I'm realizing it will never be as pretty as a tricked out Kenner toy, but as long as it looks a bit better I'll be happy. At least until I can 3d print myself an accurate one lol.

And I have idea why Bandai never did, even at a smaller scale. The shuttle has been made by MPC, Revell over the years, etc so it's not that obscure of a kit, and I think it would've sold well. Ah well... :(

Saving those references right now, those will help tremendously as I'm doing to tackle the 2 side wings next. My urge to clean up and make that model prettier is getting strong as it sure looks rough in it's current state.

And yup, the only accurate model I have of the shuttle is my tiny cute F-toy model of it. Did FantasyFlight games ever make an accurate one? I can't remember
I've never actually seen what all companies have released one before. Then there is the scale challenge. Too big, and people might not buy because no space for it, too small and people want it bigger.
The Kenner toy is probably just about right. I used to have it, but had to sell as I really needed money back around 2010.
Heres my MPC, with all its issues. When comparing it with the others, you can clearly see the issues, but on its own, its not too bad, the top fin does need to be wider of course, but its that cockpit that really stands out as being the most wrong. Over all, the whole thing needs to be stretched out left and right. I just wanted to build it as is. Although I got that nasty gap around the main body that I fixed with apoxie sculpt. Although, in the years since I've made it, its showing again.
Right now the whole house is torn up from a kitchen remodel, and the shuttle is actually laying in a chair right now.
The cat probably wants its chair back.
P1012225.JPG

Check out the scratch-build Studio Scale thread by Tab039 (sorry I can't seem to link directly) also for lots of interesting WIP information ... in one of his final pictures you can see there's an additional double rounded off layer towards the back right under the dorsal wing :

Schermafbeelding 2023-06-07 om 17.07.12.png

And indeed there has a Fantasy Flight/X-wing Imperial Shuttle been made, alas the cockpit is not quite accurate though :

Fantasy Flight Lambda Class Shuttle.jpg

As far as the licensing goes Disney has allowed DeAgostini to make an all new die-cast Imperial Shuttle with magazine :

DeAgostini Imperial Shuttle New.jpg

Chaïm

Last edited:
I've never actually seen what all companies have released one before. Then there is the scale challenge. Too big, and people might not buy because no space for it, too small and people want it bigger.
The Kenner toy is probably just about right. I used to have it, but had to sell as I really needed money back around 2010.
Heres my MPC, with all its issues. When comparing it with the others, you can clearly see the issues, but on its own, its not too bad, the top fin does need to be wider of course, but its that cockpit that really stands out as being the most wrong. Over all, the whole thing needs to be stretched out left and right. I just wanted to build it as is. Although I got that nasty gap around the main body that I fixed with apoxie sculpt. Although, in the years since I've made it, its showing again.
Right now the whole house is torn up from a kitchen remodel, and the shuttle is actually laying in a chair right now.
The cat probably wants its chair back.
View attachment 1708413
Yup that's the kit I did as a teen, that nasty side seam plagued me as well. If I hadn't tossed mine in the trash years ago, that would've been the one I would've tried to make accurate instead of this smaller Revell kit. Great job on your paint scheme! What stand did you use?

Check out the scratch-build Studio Scale thread by Tab039 (sorry I can't seem to link directly) also for lots of interesting WIP information ... in one of his final pictures you can see there's an additional double rounded off layer towards the back right under the dorsal wing :

View attachment 1708412

And indeed there has a Fantasy Flight/X-wing Imperial Shuttle been made, alas the cockpit is not quite accurate though :

View attachment 1708414

Chaïm
Oh nice, i never knew about that rounded layer. Should be able to add that and other bits with styrene since I've hopefully gotten the major surgeries out of the way.

And ah yes, they got the dorsal fin shape correct and side profile seems good, but that cockpit is off when looking at it from the front. Pity

Last edited:
Yup that's the kit I did as a teen, that nasty side seam plagued me as well. If I hadn't tossed mine in the trash years ago, that would've been the one I would've tried to make accurate instead of this smaller Revell kit. Great job on your paint scheme! What stand did you use?
Thanks. Details and weathering were all hand painted. I don't even have a base, above its just sitting on a flashlight.
So I put fishing string around it and had it hanging in a backroom, but then had a roommate at first come temporarily, as her and her son needed a place, but then covid hit and its turned into long term.
She left it hanging, and others, all that time, but I finally got them out a few months ago.
The gap isn't as bad as I was thinking. About an inch long towards the back.
I need to find a spot and rehang it and the Batwing.
Might hang my Falcon once done as well.
Not sure yet though.
20230607_092806.jpg

Since we are reminiscing some of our builds from the past . . . a long time ago . . . I made this tiny paper/cardboard Imperial Shuttle seen on the right :

Hallmark + Custom Paper ST4.jpg

... it stands next to the upgraded/re-painted Hallmark Tyderium ... if you listen very carefully you can here the Imperial March play in the background ;)

Chaïm

Since we are reminiscing some of our builds from the past . . . a long time ago . . . I made this tiny paper/cardboard Imperial Shuttle seen on the right :

View attachment 1708453

... it stands next to the upgraded/re-painted Hallmark Tyderium ... if you listen very carefully you can here the Imperial March play in the background ;)

Chaïm
Love it! Wow that is tiny, nice job! I think I have somewhere my micromachine Tydirium from when I was a kid, will have to check tonight. I might have to get that Hallmark Shuttle to start a little Tydirium collection going!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back