***COMPLETED**** Pcoz's Hasbro Hero Star Wars X-Wing Conversion

Re: Pcoz's Hasbro Hero Star Wars X-Wing Conversion

****UPDATE and a little GEAR SHIFTING****

So I'm absolutely losing my mind here.

A few things to address and I WILL HAVE THIS COMPLETED THIS WEEKEND ! I hope...:(

First up, I finished painting and weathering the Droid Strip

IMG_0281_zpsljlu6xmy.jpg

IMG_0282_zpsbatf4fox.jpg

Then turned my attention to getting R2 nestled into position and fibers attached.

IMG_0291_zpskrqgunlp.jpg

Slid the body on first.

IMG_0293_zps2qzr0fck.jpg

Then set the wing into place to see how I was going to construct the "R2 repair" scene....Unfortunately, it was not meant to be. The location on the model versus the screen grab weren't even close. I decided not to attempt this since the distance seemed too great and I fear it would simply look awkward.

IMG_0301aa_zpsbavpha0k.jpg

So then I ran the fibers into position and secured the dome.

IMG_0324_zpsdh4ldpy9.jpg

Checking continuity EVERY time I moved anything for fear of something disconnecting internally.....all good

20170211_1323481_zps2hemwqrx.jpg

Now to work on dat BUTT !

IMG_0352_zpsy0kvxxzy.jpg

Finished the butt plate details painting and weathering.

IMG_0354_zpshcembwfw.jpg

Now on to WIRING and assembly of the wings !

IMG_0362_zps7bjftoha.jpg

I didn't want any connections to touch once the wires were fed back into the fuselage, so once soldered, a little shrink wrap was in order.

IMG_0363_zpshd6syvdi.jpg

2 wings on, wired and epoxied...

IMG_0365_zpst3ldcc2i.jpg

3rd wing...

IMG_0366_zpsapqhf7u6.jpg

IMG_0371_zpsc6bpbcjw.jpg

and finally, the 4th.

IMG_0373_zpsphfougsl.jpg

So if you noticed the small X-wing sitting on the base in the previous pic's, you'll see why here. I decided NOT to use the Death Star "surface" for the base. As Bob Ross used to say: "Happy Accidents"

#1 - When I set the small Revell X-wing on it by accident, I noticed it's scale was more in tune and led me to drag out my Revell MF that's been cooped up in it's box for a while. So it looks like I've found my next project.

#2 - The Hasbro Modded X-Wing's shear size with the out of scale base ended being a little too much visually.

20170211_122043_zpsswha6n0h.jpg

So I removed all the tiles from the base and now back to square one. I was thinking about painting the base black and ordering a custom plaque.

Then I thought about painting it and lettering it. Here is what I came up with below. Let me know what you think....even though I'm liable to change my mind by the next post. :D:cheers

XWingBase3_zpsejoop0wy.jpg

Well that's all folks !

Next update should be the completed X-Wing !

As always thanks for looking !

Pcoz

All is happy! Great job on the model and I like the base graphic.

Regards. Robert

Show everyone how BIG this bad boy is....I've had so many people ask me on YT, RPF and my blog about scale. All the photos never show how really BIG it is.

I tell them 1:18...but only a real life scale comparison confirms just how awesome and wonderful the size is. ;)

xw5.jpg

Loving the updates on this project!!! Outstanding work...can't wait to see the next updates

regarding the base. I have been thinking of this for a while as well. what about the possiblity of creating a custom vinyl sticker to put on a wood/other base. any thoughts of how to go about that?

****UPDATE and a little GEAR SHIFTING****

So I removed all the tiles from the base and now back to square one. I was thinking about painting the base black and ordering a custom plaque.

Then I thought about painting it and lettering it. Here is what I came up with below. Let me know what you think....even though I'm liable to change my mind by the next post. :D:cheers

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f16/Pcoz55/XWingBase3_zpsejoop0wy.jpg

Pcoz

Thanks for the comments guys !

Yaris, Yes, I'll get a couple of scale pics when I take the finished pictures...It is hard to tell how big it really is....and mine is HEAVY ! :lol

theyrenotdolls, I hadn't thought of that... I created the graphic above in adobe illustrator. It probably wouldn't take much to get a local vinyl shop to print it off. My other idea in addition to painting the base would be to actually light up the stars....But, I don't know if that would be too much either.

Pcoz

Yaris, Yes, I'll get a couple of scale pics when I take the finished pictures...It is hard to tell how big it really is....and mine is HEAVY ! :lol

My build is 6kg.

The weight is basically the wood internal wing structure.

Your base issue is about scale. Your gun turret is too small for the rest of the base. You actually have two conflicting scales.

If you get rid of the gun turret, then the rest of the base seems accurate for this build at scale, but because of the sheer size of this bird, you don't really have the base big enough.

I crunched the scale early on in my build and the base would have to be 1200mm x 600mm to showcase the build.

Anything smaller would be redundant.

However it is ultimately resolved by where your going to display it.

Last edited:

Well, it didn't happen this weekend......not completed yet. :angry

I took my base graphic to the local Staples to see what they could print. Obviously they had a ton of choices including paper, polystyrene, PVC, vinyl, etc. The print quality looked great and I was ready to pull the trigger on a Matte Vinyl.

Everything was going well up until the point where they saw the Star Wars logo....Deal effectively killed on the spot, lol. By no means are they allowed to reproduce logos.

So, I could have them print the base without the logo and order a Star Wars decal and slap it on later.

At this point, I'm thinking of painting it black and being done with it !!!

Sincerely, Mr. LIMBO

Holy crap! This is amazing! I have one of these in my attic still in the box, never liked the s foils not being in attack position;) Not sure if i'm ready to tackle a project like this though. . . Thanks for sharing your build!

Holy crap! This is amazing! I have one of these in my attic still in the box, never liked the s foils not being in attack position;) Not sure if i'm ready to tackle a project like this though. . . Thanks for sharing your build!

Thanks Noah, I appreciate the comments.

It is definitely a ton of work ! But it's also very enjoyable and gratifying. Especially if you are a Star Wars fan. I wad about 7 or 8 when it came out and was lucky enough to see the first showing at the theater. It's been nostalgic for me ever since.

I'm still finishing up the base. I had to make some modifications now that I'm putting it all together for display. Hopefully I will be finishing this very soon and will post the final pictures any day now....

Thanks for looking

Long time, no post !

I want to wrap this up soon, so here are the updates of the base.

I decided to do a hybrid of sorts with my original base graphics idea. Instead of printing it out, I decided to hand paint it, air brush it, and create a 3 dimensional Rebel Symbol and label.

Here goes....

Painted the base black and cut out my symbol in 1/4" plywood

20170225_144605_zpsa6uodzd4.jpg

Started airbrushing the galaxy

20170226_144611_zpsmtbm5q8a.jpg

20170226_145637_zpspafdfl1f.jpg

Painted my Rebel Symbol black, allowed to dry, and then coated with Elmers Glue

20170226_151311_zpsvwitjpir.jpg

Let the glue dry a little and coated with Red Acrylic

20170226_151625_zpsn7q6ov94.jpg

Then immediately hit with a heat gun to speed up the drying / cracking of the paint.....allowing the black to show through the cracks

20170226_151758_zpspysrvyw8.jpg

Next, started painting the Death Star

20170226_153217_zpsl9lg8gcm.jpg

20170226_155940_zpsveb77kzv.jpg

20170226_174302_zpsdgalpxe0.jpg

20170226_175237_zps7mt47wee.jpg

Then, worked on the graphics for my custom plaque

20170227_144231_zpsekocfltd.jpg

Printed on hard stock paper

20170227_150242_zpsgl0bb2w5.jpg

backed with gold styrene

20170310_161850_zpsnmdx7yph.jpg

Covered with Plexiglas

20170310_163232_zps7t2yqcuy.jpg

I went back and added some blues and reds into the background and covered the top with Plexiglas

20170323_174630_zpsgqrlm8lh.jpg

Ran the 120v to 12v cord through a the base.

20170323_201253_zpseymqntgp.jpg

Covered the sides with Plexiglas

20170331_111652_zps0bzfidrq.jpg

Started trimming it out with some aluminum angle iron.

20170402_194925_zpsqlilq2iy.jpg

20170403_164954_zps18tixjyr.jpg

20170403_170432_zpsgpa1laqt.jpg

Since it scratches so easily, I decided to just scuff it up and give it that stainless steel look......

20170403_172031_zps8jufe2rn.jpg

Added my switch to the right side

20170403_175328_zpssjsu239c.jpg

....and then on to wiring the X-Wing through the aluminum tubing and then into the base.

20170403_180347_zpsvyyhlyyt.jpg

added some felt pads

20170403_183033_zpshe5md5oz.jpg

supporting the plaque at an angle

20170403_205602_zpsenfjyeoj.jpg

Same for the symbol

20170403_213259_zpsuuraxoh9.jpg

20170403_214716_zpsb7wx9xzm.jpg

and secured to the base

20170403_214729_zpslawhfvtu.jpg

20170403_221433_zpswwxuugxw.jpg

As always, thanks for looking !

Final photos next update !

Pcoz

What a fantastic base for the X-wing!!! You did a great job on the construction and the painting is amazing!!

Thanks Joe and CJ.... I'm hoping to take some "studio" shots tonight since we've currently got thunderstorms in Maryland today. Outdoor shots hopefully this weekend.

looks great Pcoz...what's the switch for? lights? sound?
how'd u get the straight lines on the death star?
I love the airbrushing and the rebel insignia

looks great Pcoz...what's the switch for? lights? sound?
how'd u get the straight lines on the death star?
I love the airbrushing and the rebel insignia

Switch is for the lights....engine lights and cockpit fiber optics. Sound would be a good idea though.

I simply masked the lines and airbrushed over them to get them straight. Hand painted the rest.

Thanks for the comments!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back