COMPLETE! "It's About Time!" Starcraft II Jim Raynor Armor *PIC HEAVY*

Re: "It's About Time!" Starcraft II Terran Marine CMC Armor WIP *PIC HEAVY*

You're foam work is so clean and beautiful, it's definitely a motivator and inspiration!

Makes me wanna make another foam suit sooo bad!

You could do purple too actually... different tones, add a fleur-de-lis, and just say it's a crossover with the Saints Row franchise :lol

Thanks again all! I finally got the rendering done of the final three color scheme contenders. Gunmetal two-tone (my wife's personal favorite and growing in my estimation every time I look at it) camo just 'cuz I wanted to see what it'd look like (not very practical on Char or Braxis) and of course the version my daughter really wants to see, Buzz Lightyear! However, I do still plan on making an appearance at Blizzcon 2016 and I'm not so sure how well they'd recieve a mash-up of different characters from outside the Blizz-world. Hence, I have to opt out of the Saint's Row idea as well, despite how neat that'd look with the embelishments. However, after that I may repaint in a new scheme to keep things fresh after that event, so I'll keep those in mind! So, here's to falling in style:

ColorChoices2.JPG

Let me know what you think! I'm contemplating building raynor's handgun as well, it'd be nice to have a smaller firearm to carry around besides the massive rifle...

As for the suit itself, not a ton a progress due to the fact that, altho small, the upper light housings were such a huge pain it took several days to work out how to do it, lots of scrapped material and some fudging which was covered up in the final act. All in all, turned out pretty close to how I envisioned, but just like everything else, not completely screen accurate. I'll just call it personalization. :D I started the housings with 1/4" foam sheets rolled into a tube and trimmed to shape in order to fit on top of the lower housings and point in the right direction. No googly-eyes here! Next, I hacked up some small bits of EVA and fitted them between the new housings and the center chest piece to fill in the gap. But how to fill in the rest of the curved housing? I didn't get many "during" pictures because there was so much back and forth, so if anyone wants more detail I'm happy to describe it in more detail, but let's just say for now the first three attempts didn't work out. I finally decided to rough in the shape I wanted with a scrap piece of EVA, spending several hours just sanding it and heat-forming it into the approximate shape I wanted. Next, I covered that in tape to create a flat pattern, trimmed that a little more, transferred that to another piece of EVA and sanded the crap out of that one as well, finally getting the right rounded form contoured to the existing foam. Hugest. Headache. Ever. Next one went surprisingly (and frustratingly) smooth.

Now, up until this point I pick and choose my adhesives based on the function of the part I'm gluing on. For major structural pieces or larger pieces that may see more stress, I use the contact cement. (Again, I use Weldwood, but I hear Barge is a better choice) For smaller pieces that stack on other pieces or large flat areas that need to stick together or even parts I know will have a gap after attaching, I use hot glue. For these housings, I used the contact cement for two reasons. One, I want them to stick really really well. they taper off to almost nothing and I didn't think the heat of the hot glue would do that tip any good, but also it's such a complex shape that I didn't think I'd be able to hold it in the right spot while the glue cooled off. With the cement, as soon as you touch the two pieces together, they're stuck! Handy! And second, these are attached to the tops of the other housings which are large, hollow, and not really attached to anything else around the top so this adds much needed strength to the front.

Finally, after all the trial and error, I covered the housings in tape again to creat yet another flat pettern for the 1/8" foam to wrap over the top of it all in order to cover gaps and smooth the whole thing out aesthetically. For the thin stuff and detail work I like to use spray adhesive. I've tried three different brands so far, Elmer's that I picked up from Joann's, an extra tacky industrial stuff from Harbor Freight, and 3M Super77 that I'm currently using. They're all about the same but the last two seem a tad stronger. Anyway, cut, covered, and sanded into shape. Finally, I added the little details of the vents along the sides. That's just more 1/8" foamies foam. I also built (out of 3mm foamies) the little light housings that go just outside the uppers. I rolled the foam into a small solid tube and trimmed it to fit in the corner. I then drilled a small hole in the middle, which is where I'll mount the little orange lights I've dubbed the "parking" lights. I'm getting closer to the lighting/wiring stage! a few more details and I'll be there!

20150920_210743.jpg 20150920_210800.jpg 20150920_210912.jpg
20150921_073027.jpg 20150921_073035.jpg

Thanks for watching, and of course the great tips! To infinity and beyond!

Amazing work... Can't wait to see it finished...

Yeah. Gunmetal.

Though if you do the Saints Row one one day, I'd love to see that one.

Amazing work on the helmet and chest piece. This has got to be my favorite work in progress right now.

This is amazing and inspiring. Subscribed! (and taking notes to make my own one day)

Man this is super professional work. I'll be checking in on this one! Keep at it mate.

SB

Wow thanks for the compliments all!

Spent the weekend geeking out at SLCC so not a lot of work on the suit. Go us btw, we set a Guiness Record for most costumed comic book characters gathering EVER! Woot! Tho I can't brag too much.. I wasn't there that day. Still! I made it out Saturday and saw some pretty sweet stuff! I believe one of us RPFers went as Riddick and took home second place in one of the categories of the cosplay contest! scdsteffes was that you?? Looked identical to Vin! Way to go! I've got a couple pictures if you'd like em! Lots of talent out there.

So, small update on the build, mostly just a few detail pieces on the torso. Got the grooves cut, trim pieces attached, and a few small greebiles put on. I even added a piece on the center chest that wasn't even on my original plan. I decided after looking at the game models some more I had to add that detail. I'm thinking the next step is the lighting! Just need to pick up some solder and heat shrink tubing. Stay tuned!

Also, I'm still debating the best option for finishing and sealing the foam. I've heard a lot about Epsilon, anyone had any experience with it? I've been told plastidip right onto the foam before paint, I've heard PVA glue but my few tests prove less than successful. Opinions? This thing is big and won't flex very much but if it still does in places I don't want it to crack or flake. Thanks ahead of time for the help!

20150928_071340.jpg 20150928_071355.jpg 20150928_071401.jpg

20150928_071431.jpg 20150924_070721.jpg 20150928_071500.jpg

On a side note, I decided to branch out in the weapons department. If anyone would like to help out by 3D printing something for me, I modeled Jim Raynor's six shooter and it's 3D printer ready! My other alternative is to build it bit by bit which I doubt will look as good. Let me know! And no, Shapeways is not an option. Their prices are thru the roof crazy! Lemme know! I may be modeling up Tychus's gatling gun as well. We'll see! May the shwartz be with you!

JR Pistol1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

On a side note, I decided to branch out in the weapons department. If anyone would like to help out by 3D printing something for me, I modeled Jim Raynor's six shooter and it's 3D printer ready! My other alternative is to build it bit by bit which I doubt will look as good. Let me know! And no, Shapeways is not an option. Their prices are thru the roof crazy! Lemme know! I may be modeling up Tychus's gatling gun as well. We'll see! May the shwartz be with you!

View attachment 534429

Very nice work building that armor! Looks very impressive! :)

Shamelessly hinting towards my own thread, I would like to point out that the pistol can indeed be build bit by bit and looking at your crafting skills I am pretty sure it would turn out great :)
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=159837

Maybe contact rgriesbeck . He already offers some other 3D printed guns in the junkyard. Maybe you can make an agreement that he prints one for you for free and in return he can offer 3D prints of your files in the Junkyard...

Very nice work building that armor! Looks very impressive! :)

Shamelessly hinting towards my own thread, I would like to point out that the pistol can indeed be build bit by bit and looking at your crafting skills I am pretty sure it would turn out great :)
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=159837

Thanks! Matter of fact, YOUR build is the one that inspired me to attempt this, and I even used your photos as reference to lay mine out! I must say, you have some serious skills! That thing is a beauty!! My biggest problem is the size. I scaled it to fit in the hand of my suit, which is kind of ridiculously huge. It came out almost two feet long! If I crafted it like you've done it'd weigh a ton. I was thinking 3D print simply for weight purposes. I've seen people build their gun, create a mold then rotocast it to make a hollow plastic version, but I don't have the slightest idea where to start down that road, plus my budget is already blown. As I get closer to beginning this build I'll keep ya posted on which road I take, but I remain highly impressed by yours and only hope I can do it as much justice as you have!

On a side note, it's a pretty confusing gun, mechanics-wise. I noticed in the cinematic in the game the top barrel is actually not a barrel, but a laser sight. the larger barrel in the middle is the business end, but it doesn't even come close to lining up with the revolving cylinder. Not exactly sure how the gun actually works, but it's still cool anyway! And as you can see, I've built it specifically with 3D printing in mind. the cylinder spins as well as rotates out of the main body for reloading. The bullets eject and the cylinder is spring loaded in place. I'm working on a mechanism to make the trigger functional, at least to the point of pulling it to light up the laser on the front end. I have another thread open already dedicated to my C-14 Rifle build-up so I'll probably add this to it when it's time.

Raynor Pistol exploded.PNG

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Haha, I came to the same conclusion. The design of the gun makes absolutely no sense :D I finished my gun a month before the high-detail collector's figure came out (the one where Raynor wears the armor). That was the first time I saw the laserpointer inside the upper barrel but it was too late for me to change so I left it as is :D Another design-flaw in the game is the size of the gun. As you pointed out, the version that goes with the armor is much larger than the sidearm Raynor carries around when in his civil outfit.
Rotocast could definitely work, especially with all the functions you have in mind. Very impressive!

Another option that comes to mind is foam. I once saw a Hellboy-cosplay and the guy wearing it, had the Samaritan made out of foam. He was still able to flip the gun open and add plastic bullets to the barrel and yet the prop was lightweight.

Whatever solution you come up with: I can't wait to see the finished costume :)

Extremely SICK man! This is spectacular. (your wife must have the patience of a saint!) ;) {subscribing}

My vote is for the gunmetal grey scheme too, as it reminds me of Raynor's grey scheme (as seen on Char in the Cinematics - below).
I'm certainly not suggesting copying his scheme, but there are some bad-ass features in how the colors are applied, where & highlighting. I would suggest looking at that again, for a references. The other thing I like is the weathering that was applied, the scratches, etc. I'll drop some reference photos (...that you probably already have)

On your visor, are you going with the straight color, or would you perhaps apply an overlay feature? Raynor has the skull, so that's already done.... how about a Tauren Bull Skull? (OK, I'll stop drinking the crazy juice).

Are you definitely going with the Gauss rifle? I like the HEV rifle - and definitely love the 'tick marks' of kills on the side.
As said, keep up the awesome work!

1-Fullscreen capture 1032015 41553 PM.jpg2-Fullscreen capture 1032015 41606 PM.jpg3-Fullscreen capture 1032015 41621 PM.jpg4-Fullscreen capture 1032015 41637 PM.jpg5-Fullscreen capture 1032015 41642 PM.jpg6-Fullscreen capture 1032015 41725 PM.jpg7-Fullscreen capture 1032015 41758 PM.jpg8-Fullscreen capture 1032015 41821 PM.jpg9-Fullscreen capture 1032015 42013 PM.jpg

Sorry for the double post

Last edited:

Extremely SICK man! This is spectacular. (your wife must have the patience of a saint!) ;) {subscribing}

My vote is for the gunmetal grey scheme too, as it reminds me of Raynor's grey scheme (as seen on Char in the Cinematics - below).
I'm certainly not suggesting copying his scheme, but there are some bad-ass features in how the colors are applied, where & highlighting. I would suggest looking at that again, for a references. The other thing I like is the weathering that was applied, the scratches, etc. I'll drop some reference photos (...that you probably already have)

On your visor, are you going with the straight color, or would you perhaps apply an overlay feature? Raynor has the skull, so that's already done.... how about a Tauren Bull Skull? (OK, I'll stop drinking the crazy juice).

Are you definitely going with the Gauss rifle? I like the HEV rifle - and definitely love the 'tick marks' of kills on the side.
As said, keep up the awesome work!

She absolutely does! I think I'm starting to drive her crazy but she's been hanging in there as my biggest supporter the whole time! Couldn't do this without her!
I agree with the Raynor scheme, always liked the layout! I've always thought cars look bland in black. It hides body lines and contours and I'll be willing to bet it'll do the same to the suit. Hence why I agree with you on the gunmetal. Maybe in a satin-like finish. Weathering of course, but Solidworks isn't great at texture mapping so I don't really have a way to visualize that at this point. I'll just have to wing it when I get there. I'll use reference photos of Raynor for sure tho! Thanks for those!
For the visor, as of now I'll leave it plain (I still have to add the honeycomb pattern) but I do really like the skull on his. Depending on how the rest of this turns out, maybe I'll design one of my own. Cool idea on the Tauren tho!
I've got my layout ready for the Gauss, but I'm still open to alternatives. The HEV would be cool, I just need to get it modeled and figure out how to build it. If you've got any detailed references of the HEV I'll take em! Thanks for the input!

Sorry there's not much an update yet, I've been working on the support frame for my arms inside the shoulders. Nothing finalized yet, just running thru different layouts with PVC. More to come on that as I work it all out.

Looking Awesome so far!!! as for color I would go with the Gunmetal (if your still going for the war-torn look). Buzz sure does look fun though haha.
As for the sealer I would use the plastidip for me personally it has worked really well its malleable like the foam itself and holds the paint on it pretty well so you don't end up with chips or cracking. PVA glue is mostly for filling in the gaps, but your foam work is so damn clean and perfect I don't think you need to worry out that ;) haha.

Re: "It's About T<script id=

She absolutely does! ... I've got my layout ready for the Gauss, but I'm still open to alternatives. The HEV would be cool, I just need to get it modeled and figure out how to build it. If you've got any detailed references of the HEV I'll take em! Thanks for the input!

Good on you then! I haven't found much on the HEV, although it's a Sniper Rifle, but not like the ones used by the Ghosts. I'm upping a few pictures - I'm sorry it's not scaled or anything.

BUT, I am bringing Christmas early... Well, OK, maybe just some more pictures. I'm assuming that you've seen the 1:6 articulated figure from Sideshow Collectibles?
It's Incredible - The level of detail is A-MAZE-BALLS!!! But of benefit are the photos... (AND it even comes with the HEV gun!) If I only had an extra 500 dollars laying around.... I'm also including some Tychus reference photos. Take a look at how and where they did the weathering, decal placement, etc. Take a look at the shot of his back - One thing that I really liked was how they treated some of the detailing with the Gold/yellow accents (at the elbow/spine and the center portion between the exhaust ports). It really works with the gray/pewter colors. I hope this helps!

PS. Ummm.. When you're in the suit... How in the heck do you... go to the bathroom? Is that going to be a half-hour process?
(i.e. you ought to have a small, "NO TACOS or CHILI" decal hidden somewhere on the back of the suit!)

Link to Sideshow video: https://youtu.be/Beob2ax-4Mo
Link to Tested's Review video: https://youtu.be/4FJE-vBxIl0

Pics:
HEVRifle_SC2_Phys1.jpg100181-raynor-012.jpg100181-raynor-018.jpgf6adbf0660449083.jpgsc_1_1024x1024.jpg
912.jpg100181-raynor-004.jpg100181-raynor-005.jpg100181-raynor-006.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back