Can't find Tony Stark's sunglasses from Iron Man 3

UV400

I was wondering since we are all eyewear enthusiasts here. If anyone uses a ultra sonic cleaning machine to keep thier frames and lenses sparkling clean.
I been using cloths and lens cleaning spray, but that's a great idea man!
Prices for these cleaners seem totally reasonable, so I'm sold!
It makes perfect sense for caring for your collection.

UV400

has anyone with the pradas been able to get the logo off of the factory lens?
gotmeth366:
Got a bit bored and decided to get the red Prada logo off the VPS 53e left lens.
20190721_085612.jpg

I used Autoglym super resin polish that I had lying around.
I recommend removing the lens, so you don't get any polish on the matt frame.
There are 3 small screws that hold the "top bar rubber section" to the lower frame. It's much easier to remove the lens with this taken off. Be very careful to not mark the frame with the screwdriver as the top section looks like it is only "coated" in rubber.
If you didn't want to strip down the glasses, you could I suppose, use masking tape to protect the frame.
If you use the polish with a white cloth, you will see the red slowly coming off. It takes a little while, but it will all come off with approx. 10-15 mins. of rubbing.
Only thing is, there still is an ever so slight miniscule "clear shadow" of the logo, almost melted into the lens, which could possibly be from a heat stamping process when the logo is initially put on. It's really not noticeable at all though, so much so, I couldn't quite get a pic showing it!
20190721_102624.jpg
It will certainly suffice until I decide on changing the lenses.
It might seem a little bit daunting, but 15 mins. work and I got to wear them all day!!

Last edited:

AFH18

gotmeth366:
Got a bit bored and decided to get the red Prada logo off the VPS 53e left lens.
View attachment 1040512
I used Autoglym super resin polish that I had lying around.
I recommend removing the lens, so you don't get any polish on the matt frame.
There are 3 small screws that hold the "top bar rubber section" to the lower frame. It's much easier to remove the lens with this taken off. Be very careful to not mark the frame with the screwdriver as the top section looks like it is only "coated" in rubber.
If you didn't want to strip down the glasses, you could I suppose, use masking tape to protect the frame.
If you use the polish with a white cloth, you will see the red slowly coming off. It takes a little while, but it will all come off with approx. 10-15 mins. of rubbing.
Only thing is, there still is an ever so slight miniscule "clear shadow" of the logo, almost melted into the lens, which could possibly be from a heat stamping process when the logo is initially put on. It's really not noticeable at all though, so much so, I couldn't quite get a pic showing it!
View attachment 1040513
It will certainly suffice until I decide on changing the lenses.
It might seem a little bit daunting, but 15 mins. work and I got to wear them all day!!

Are you considering grey transitions?

StClair185

Thanks everyone for such a great thread.
I know I’m many movies behind, but can anyone point me in the right direction for a good replica of the Initium All-ins from the Senate hearing in IM2?
Not sure I’m ready to grab the real deal without finding out whether I look ridiculous in them.
Thanks!

gotmeth366

Thanks everyone for such a great thread.
I know I’m many movies behind, but can anyone point me in the right direction for a good replica of the Initium All-ins from the Senate hearing in IM2?
Not sure I’m ready to grab the real deal without finding out whether I look ridiculous in them.
Thanks!
I don't think you'll find a good replica of those.

Theglassesguy

Hey guys, I'm a luxury eyewear retailer and came across this thread after helping a member and a few other guys acquire the Dior BlackTie 137 frame. I was amazed at the demand and literally got my hands on as many frames as I could get but now there are pretty much none left.

Moving on, I'm also a licensed optician and do majority of my own lab work, its funny because I've actually been wearing the blue/grey lenses in my own frames for years and now they just seem to have taken off like crazy. I've been going back and reading some of the posts here...guys, please ask a professional if you're unsure. Especially with the insertion and removal of lenses, you don't want to damage your frame especially since many of these pieces are long discontinued and nearly impossible to acquire.

In regards to the ultrasonic cleaner, its safe to use but its best to remove the lenses first as any solution other than simple soap can damage the coatings on the lenses. Not only that an ultrasonic cleaner itself creates heat in the water and that can damage the lens finish as well you also don't want any moisture in between the lenses and the bevel of the frame.

Before this post gets too long I will touch a bit on DITA and the Flight .006 I am an authorized dealer and have a very good personal level relationship with my sales rep who covers all of Canada so I'm speaking with as much inside information as there is. DITA is very exclusive brand and keep very closed doors, to the point that even the sales rep didn't know about the online only launch of the special edition lenses frame until it happened. By the time I saw his text 4 hours later they were all sold out. I called head office to get the inside scoop and was informed they only did a limited run of 10 pairs and sold out in 2 hours!! Not only that but that palladium frame with the standard blue mirror lenses is on a crazy backorder as well. I've been taking deposits and my earliest orders are expecting to ship towards the end of September. In regards to the special edition lenses DITA will likely not be bringing them back mounted in the frame but rather available for purchase on their own. Reason being the production time for these frames is so long they simply cannot meet the demand of stocking two sku's they'd rather use all the frames they can get to fill existing backorders.

DITA is an optical designer but they outsource their manufacturing so once they place an order even they are just at the whim of the manufacturer. That manufacturer being Japan's oldest and most world renowned yet relatively unknown makers of eyewear who I will leave unnamed in this post as DITA would rather that information not be made public. Hint; its not Matsuda but they also do manufacture and market under their own brand name.

So point being this stuff is veryyy hard to get and the demand is much greater than the supply, the DITA market can be likened to the Rolex market albeit on a smaller scale. Congrats to the guys who did manage to score a pair of the special edition lenses.

To end this off I will address pricing as lots of guys seem to be looking for online sources or what not. First and foremost when its comes to brands such as DITA these websites rarely have stock in their warehouse and need to order them in. So when these pieces are on backorder you are literally just having the website sitting there with your cc info hoping you eventually get your frame after months of waiting. If the website is even legit...

Then there's all the 'hidden fees' you guys never consider. Many of these online retailers are overseas and yea, the price may be 10% less than retail and you save another 10% with a coupon or what not. Maybe a couple hundred in savings, but now you have to consider the brokerage fees which every courier company charges you if the package is not shipped using a federal postal service, in addition to any taxes and duties which you will most certainly be charged when purchasing from an online retailer. So at the end of the day the saving are pretty much null, not only that you're at a hassle for any warranty service or if the product just shows up defective or less than perfect.

So at the end of the day is you're spending in the high hundreds to thousands of dollars on eyewear, do it the right way through proper channels for your own piece of mind and build a good relationship with a local, preferably independent retailer who can help you out when you actually need a professional opinion or help. Personally I'm just a huge fan and enthusiast myself so I love this and eyewear/sunglasses are just a passion of mine even though I'm sure majority of opticians don't feel the same way and its just a 'job'.

Just in case you guys want to confirm I'm not just making all this up you can IG ideal_optical and can see for yourself. I won't really be here often but glad to help if you guys have any technical questions or anything related to DITA or other premium brands.

Last edited:

gotmeth366

If you don't mind me asking. How much did they cost?
How do they feel?
were they actually yellowish? or was that just lighting?
I paid $150 on eBay. They're actually pretty heavy. I really like them. They're clear. They look yellow when you put them on. But more or less, clear.

AFH18

I paid $150 on eBay. They're actually pretty heavy. I really like them. They're clear. They look yellow when you put them on. But more or less, clear.
Thanks for the mini review!n
I really like the design. We're the ones you bought used? the retail for these was over 300$. They, like most on here, are so hard to find!

gotmeth366

Thanks for the mini review!n
I really like the design. We're the ones you bought used? the retail for these was over 300$. They, like most on here, are so hard to find!
They might've been used. They were in really good condition. Tight hinges, not a scratch on the lenses. If I had to rate them, 9.5 /10