Building the SS Nice-N-Models Slave 1 kit, build log and instructions.

Mike, amazing work my friend. As an old RPF Veteran, you are part of the foundation that holds this place up! I don't want to see an RPF without Mike Salzo and that's a fact! As always I look forward to more goodies.....you da man!!!!

rpfgoodbye_zpsiwnxelbl.jpg

Last edited:
Dry fit test with the frosted transparencyView attachment 655976 in the center engine.

Were the engines cast from alloy bits? Just curious if the parts I loaned made the final model? I kicked in a scratch-built radar dish, as well. But, I think Guy has since shown that with better reference mine is a little off (too shallow, IIRC). In any event, I'm loving your build thread, paint, and lighting. I was never a fan of this ship. Until I started reading Ketzer's (now long lost) thread of his attempt at the model, back in 2006 here on the RPF. From that point on, this ship has fascinated me. I'm glad it's being built, now (both the kit, and the exacting vac-formed versions). At the end of the day, these things inspire people. And, that's really what this is all about.

Allan,

The surrounds are defiantly the ones you sent me to use and its the V3 Dish also. As reference comes out things change but in the spirit of actually finishing a Slave... I was happy to get to use your fantastic work. Thanks for chiming in and echoing the glad its getting done which ever version folks like.. options are always good.

That being said... Mike Salzo, Isel Carrol, Dan Loes and John Curilla where instrumental in getting this kit done. Part ID's boy.. that's a touchy subject.. who did what to who.. this goes back to the Resin Illuminati beginnings.. there was a group IDing parts on this ol Bird.. then it split into 2 different secret groups leaving folks in the first original group wondering what happened and on and on. We utilized the 10 years of work that ALL of us that have participated in researching the Slave project to get it done.. this is what we came up with. Its not 100% accurate. Its not the UBER accurate one Guy is making.. lets be clear on that... However it is every bit a studio scale Slave 1 and a dang good one. Inspired by Mr Tim Ketzer as well... as well as others who build here... even the ones I disagree with from time to time.. most were part of the original ID group. Thanks again Allan for sharing your work.

Steve

Last edited:
Were the engines cast from alloy bits? Just curious if the parts I loaned made the final model? I kicked in a scratch-built radar dish, as well. But, I think Guy has since shown that with better reference mine is a little off (too shallow, IIRC). In any event, I'm loving your build thread, paint, and lighting. I was never a fan of this ship. Until I started reading Ketzer's (now long lost) thread of his attempt at the model, back in 2006 here on the RPF. From that point on, this ship has fascinated me. I'm glad it's being built, now (both the kit, and the exacting vac-formed versions). At the end of the day, these things inspire people. And, that's really what this is all about.

Hi Allan, been a while hasn't it! lol.
Hey just curious regarding these engine bits, were any of the ones dad made utilised here?.

Oh thanks for that Allan, good to know & yes I will pass that onto Adrian, aka 'dad'. He's finishing up a 1912 Clyno motorcycle in 1/4 scale at the mo & of course being pestered for my 5 footer Falcon parts.

Is this model available? Nice-N-Models website doesn't show it for sale. Apologies in advance if this has been discussed in this or any other threads, just haven't seen it mentioned.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back