Building the Red October

The window mesh would be a perfect mask for painting the tiles. Just work with small sections at a time, like a few square inches, to keep the wrinkling under control. And some variation is good, it'll break things up.

Good news - the bow restoration is going well, and the paint indeed was the Tamiya Light Grey I'm using on the Death Star.

Though, I need to wait for paint to cure, and need to apply a second thin layer of filler, so it puts me behind a day.

Funny how things have a way of working out. :)

And I'm quite amused by the October being the same colour as the Death Star. Yay for fandom crossovers! ;)

I ordered the Hobby Boss 1/700 Typhoon kit over the weekend. I can't wait to get it.

And I'm quite amused by the October being the same colour as the Death Star. Yay for fandom crossovers! ;)

I ordered the Hobby Boss 1/700 Typhoon kit over the weekend. I can't wait to get it.

I should have done the upper hull in a speckle pattern!

Best of luck (and fun) with your kit!

Is it bizarre irony that we're focused on a Russian submarine right now...?

Sorry, but with all this talk of the Caterpillar drive, I just can't resist...

"The order ish....engage the shilent drive!" :)

I built the model way back when it came out and yours is making want to find another one and do it up right. You're stuff is awesome and so inspiring. Glad you share with us keep up the great work.
later, T

Thank you!

Finished the bow restoration last night. The paint was actually just a bit darker. Not sure if it was a lot issue, or in fact a different paint. Anyway I had to do my best to blend it with weathering.

I also painted the inside of my forward Catepillar doors straight black. I may need to blend in some dark grey to make it look a bit more realistic.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned the seam between the con tower and the hull bothered me.

Those that know me and follow my projects have probably come to realize that things that bug me don't usually last long.

I may need to add a bit more filler, but it is pretty easy to do since it is in a seam, and the excess wipes away with a wet cloth. Sort of like caulkinga seam in a home improvement project.

The paint I'll use will be brushed on, and is not an exact match to the hull. Its the Neutral Grey I've used or weather. But with a small section like this, blended with more weathering, I'm OK with it.

building-red-october-ro-002.jpg-80723d1326289051

building-red-october-ro-001.jpg-80722d1326289051

Here's the redone bow with the stock holes left open to represent the Catepillar doors

building-red-october-ro-003.jpg-80724d1326289051

I am also currently working on the sonar bulges that go just aft of and below the bow planes. Once is done and in rubber; the other will be cast today.

Last edited:
Really coming together now. You've done a great job weathering down the missile hatch surrounds.

I printed the sticker for the missle hatches before I watched the film again.

There is a great "fly over" shot of the big model starting from the (true) port bow (right side of the screen, since the camera looks aft), up over the main hatch deck, then drifting off starboard of the tower (left of the screen).

In the shot you see nice detail of the hatch covers, and they feature a ring, or donut, on each one that I could have added to the image before printing the sticker.

Oh well...

Also, the sticker material between the black hash marks bugs me. I may try to scale that back a bit with more of the neutral grey weathering.

It is interesting,...

There are many features to my sub that in shape or porportion are not accurate:
--The tail's towed-sonar bulb (too big on mine)
--The sonar bulges to be added to the bow (close, but not exact in shape)
--The Catepillar doors (incorrect position and shape)
--The pair of small vertical fins forward of the main rear tail (too small)
--The two inlet vens forward of the above mentioned fins (too large on mine)
--The top surface of the sail (more detailed on mine)

But the interesting thing is that some of these items I actually like better on mine, though inaccurate...

The towed-sonar bulb on the rear tail I think looks better with the size and shape on my model.

Also, I like the detail in the top deck/roof of the tower. The filming model features a more or less flat deck with sharp edges. I think the periscope detail and rounded off edges are far better.

Last edited:
I think I lost my fan base! ;)

Sonar bulges will be added today or tomorrow.

Toying with the idea of doing the rear doors. Would probably take a mold off those inlet things behind the conning tower.

Bow planes should go on this weekend along with beaver tail and screws.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back