Building the Red October

I love submarines and I love Red October. Watching this with interest.

Does anyone have any reference pictures of the filming model from the movie?

Division 6 - great pictures. The swimming pool always makes me laugh. Such a shame to see them rotting like that though.

IIRC there are only 2 of the original 6 left.

There was thread a while back that had pix of the studio model being worked on.

After reading the book several times before the movie came out I hate the movie to this very day.

Found the thread but the link to the pictures is dead.

I loved the movie but then again, I'll watch pretty much anything with Sam Neill in. I read the book for the first time last year. I really should read it again since I can't remember the differences from the movie. :$

When the movie came out it was the only time I'd seen non WW2 submarine model kits. Kmart had a 3 pack under the movie title, it had the "Red October" and 2 other soviet subs in it. I wish I'd gotten it. I have a soft spot for submarines and can't wait to see this weathered.

I bought the styrene kit back in the day, but never built it. The kit might be in storage from when I moved from NJ to NC. I remember opening the box and looking everything over, then putting it away for "later." Later never came. I'll be interested to see how this build turns out.

Nice! 21 feet? I think that would fit in my living room quite nicely.

Cool - you found it... Did you expand the image? The resolution is good enough that you go 200% - 300% without losing notable image quality.

Hotshot, I was surprised at how close I was to finishing. I printed off decals for the ICBM hatch coversm and a few other markings. All that is left is the weathering and the tiling.

Any suggestions on doing the tiles?

Cool - you found it... Did you expand the image? The resolution is good enough that you go 200% - 300% without losing notable image quality.

Yeah, I saved the image out. It's 3051x1586. :D

Just watched the film again and grabbed a few screengrabs... 200+ of them.

Also, someone asked what's written on the conning tower. It says ВМФ CCCP 436. ВМФ stands for Военно-Морской Флот or Voyenno-Morskoy Flot (Military Maritime Fleet).

Hope you finish this project as there are lots of us Red October fans lurking in the background.

Happy New Year,
Tommie

Looking good to me. Which paints/colours did you use?

I'm hoping I wrote them down because I don't remember!

--The dark grey base I think was a Duplicolor rattle-can; perhaps a primer.
--Have no idea at this time on the light grey base.
--The weathering so far is just a Liquitex-brand Ivory Black.

Most of the markings were printed on clear Avery Label sheets which is thicker than true decal paper.

I had to print a grey around the missle hatches because the clear material alone was too visible. So I need to blend in the darker grey surrounding the hatches. I don't plan/intend on making the darker grey completely disappear. Just want to reduce the stark difference.

Also, the ladder on the sail was printed. I worked it up in PowerPoint. I may do it again with a finer point-line and a dark grey instead of black ink. Or I may just wash over what I have with a grey. Either way, the ladder looks too robust and too stark. Funny though - in person it looks OK.

Here is a very good theme song to go with this model build of yours which I am very treated to see such a build take place. This thing will look nice and yeah weathering submarines is a bear which there is only one way to get good at that which is something called practice and you are taking the right steps my friend.

Any who here is the song that I have promised to you.
The Hunt For the Red October - YouTube

Hotshot, I was surprised at how close I was to finishing. I printed off decals for the ICBM hatch coversm and a few other markings. All that is left is the weathering and the tiling.

Any suggestions on doing the tiles?

Boy, have I been waiting for an opportunity to return the favor of those first pics you passed along to me.

I hope these help . . . looks like masking and low pressure airbrushing 101, almost reverse Aztecing ?!

These are from ILM:INto the Digital Realm

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Great bts pics! No wonder the Russians called these boats 'Shark'.

Also, the ladder on the sail was printed. I worked it up in PowerPoint. I may do it again with a finer point-line and a dark grey instead of black ink. Or I may just wash over what I have with a grey. Either way, the ladder looks too robust and too stark. Funny though - in person it looks OK.

Yeah, the ladder and missile hatches do look a bit harsh at the moment. The weathering is off to a really good start though.

Awesome pics Hotshot! They are both motivitating and intimidating! Cool to see that much more detail in the finish, but to replicate that in 1:350 - not sure...?

I hate to disappoint, but I think I am going to forego on the tiling.

The only method I can come up with to reasonably represent the matrix is to tape a large piece of the screen mesh on the model, then wash over it with a grey or white, leaving the darker lines left over, masked off by the mesh.

But...

The mesh is a bit flexible, and getting the lines to remain perfectly horizontal and vertical across the entire model (save for the bow and stern) would be extrememly difficult. Keep in mind that the mesh would have to be laid down more than once, in varying positions.

I also thought about using the mesh to actually apply the lines. Dabbing it in black or dark grey, removing most of the paint, then pressing the mesh against the hull (I did something similar to represent fiberglass mesh on a Hannibal Lecter mask). But again - getting ALL the lines perfect using this method would be near impossible.

Masking for each line would drive me insane. I COULD lay tape (imagine a line of tape wrapped around the hull to form a vertical line), and draw in the line with pencil. But how many hundreds of times would I need to do this? And keep each on perfectly spaced, and perfectly vertical...?

It is truly a challenge...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back