Building the Red October

I think I lost my fan base! ;)

Sorry, I've been really ill with tonsillitis since the end of last week and to top it off I snapped the screen off my laptop so I've only just got that back together.

The sonar bulges look great! Such a simple mod but make all the difference.

As for the other 'inaccuracies' that's down to how picky you are. ;) I think the rear drive doors are a must since you have the front ones.

Still waiting for my kit to arrive...

Sorry, I've been really ill with tonsillitis since the end of last week and to top it off I snapped the screen off my laptop so I've only just got that back together.

The sonar bulges look great! Such a simple mod but make all the difference.

As for the other 'inaccuracies' that's down to how picky you are. ;) I think the rear drive doors are a must since you have the front ones.

Still waiting for my kit to arrive...

Dang it - you're gonna make me do 'em, huh!?

Because...

Otherwise she is done!

Some cell phone pics...

building-red-october-ro-008.jpg-81487d1326814373

building-red-october-ro-005.jpg-81486d1326814373

Looks good, I like the paintjob. Have you considered filling in the holes where on the regular Typhoon kit all the various tower antennae/greeblies would plug into?

Looks good, I like the paintjob. Have you considered filling in the holes where on the regular Typhoon kit all the various tower antennae/greeblies would plug into?

Hadn't thought of that. Would they normally be closed?

I'm not an expert on subs. And now that you mention it, the kit included two tops for the tower, and I think one did have the ports closed. I used both, stacked on each other, to heighten the tower.

I like the visual detail the open ports provide, but if they're not accurate, then I suppose I may need to change them.

Last edited:
Hadn't thought of that. Would they normally be closed?

I'm by no means a sub expert myself, I just think going for replicating the movie version of that tower would be the way to go, no?
What I meant was that the holes seen on the top of your model are just a technical necessity for inserting the tins model antennae, and since the filming model never had them, I think they should be filled.
I found a cople pics that show no detail whatsoever on the filming model:
RED October model
Sorry if these have already been posted.

And IIRC there was not much detail on the full-scale fake submarine that's seen in the movie's beginning (with Sean Connery standing on the tower, when the cam zooms out to reveal the whole shebang).
red+october.jpg

In that same scene, you get a top view of the tower that only shows the "hole" where the actors are standing in and not much else.

I used your pic, hope that's ok.
Here's what I mean, just fill in the small round holes, and leave the rest of the detail maybe?

6717144919_80bae4655f.jpg

Perfectly OK and perfect timing.

Working in the shop today, I saw exactly what you mean. Should be a quick easy fix, and I agree - it will smooth things out a tad up top.

I used your pic, hope that's ok.
Here's what I mean, just fill in the small round holes, and leave the rest of the detail maybe?

6717144919_80bae4655f.jpg

To keep the window screen straight glue sticks to 2 sides. Hold the sticks tight with one hand while painting. Popsicle sticks and hot glue should do it.

Or maybe something finer, like wedding veil.

Did I mention I really like the weathering streaks on the sides? Well, I do!

That was surprisingly difficult to do (no previous experience). I finally got it to where I like it, but in person, there are still areas that aren't totally realistic. I'd say I'm 90% OK with it.

So that means THANK YOU for your compliments! They help me and encourage me!

Last edited:
I thought it would. Got a pic?
Watching the movie again a couple days ago, I could do with my own Red October... the longer I look at your sub, the more I want my own display piece. :)

No pics yet, but will in the next day or so. Not as clean as the 'shopped version, but a lot better.

Keep in mind that this would be one of the easiest subjects to scale up too.

How COOL would it be to do this at three feet long?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back