Building my own Batcave -- transformation vid 10-7-11

Re: Building my own Batcave UPDATED 8/4/11 [PIC HEAVY]

Kudos man, kudos. The room looks awesome and I bet it's blast watching movies and everything else down there. :)

Here's a question: which couch for the recessed area (where the couch will be)? ? It will go here:

image001.png

Here are the two best options I've found:

This one – with a sofa bed inside. Only sold online so haven’t seen in person. $429:

image001.png

image002.png

Or this one with no bed, but was very comfortable and good looking in person, and cheaper $249:

image003.png

????

Re: Building my own Batcave UPDATED 6/5/11 [PIC HEAVY]

An update! I finally was able to find some floor paint at a local hardware store. The painter there said that she could mix any color into the paint, so of course I said "BLACK BLACK!"

I wasn't going to paint the floor as I really liked the way the paint overspray looked on the floor after painting the walls. After working in the room though I noticed that that paint rubs off on my feet and makes the floor difficult to keep clean.

So, painted the floor. The gallon of paint was only $26 and I probably only used a little over a quart of it! The stuff is really nice because unlike wall paint, it spreads itself out really easily. I was able to paint the whole floor in less than 10 minutes. After I let it dry for about 6 hours, I did a second coat and let that dry for a day.

After that, I put up a floating shelf that will act as my floating desk in the room. I put it up a little lower than my shoulders, which is high I know. The plan is to get a stool that sits high as well -- I just liked the PC that high up for some reason I dunno. I think it looks good though. I STILL need to get the adapter for the 2nd screen.

Finally last night I moved my stuff back in. I have some other costume stuff and resins, clay, sandpaper etc but I don't want that stuff in here because it doesn't look very cool! But I did move back in my suits to display and my few bat props. I think it looks pretty damn awesome! Even though Batman (and his stuff) aren't the center of attention, it still has the feel that I was going for.

Check it out:

photo%2525203.JPG

My wife said OK to buying the couch for me for my birthday, but that is a month from today so I will have to wait.

Question: Do you think I should put glass shelves and lighting for some display items in that window opening in the middle? That's my plan at this point. OR, I could still mount the TV over it. What are some other ideas?

Next steps are:

> finding a Captain America poster to replace that Iron Man one since that's my next suit

> buy the USB to VGA adapter for the monitors

> get glass shelves and down lighting for that window opening right there in the middle (maybe)

> seal the bottom of the doorway where some light gets through (not pictured)

> start pricing out HDTVs and wall mounts

> figure out cool-looking way to mount Xbox 360

And I'm sure there are a lot more things I haven't thought of yet.

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions!

SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK!!!! DAMMIT I WANT that room!!!

I like the second couch.

That's what everyone seems to agree on. Looks like that will be the one!

You really should carry the rock theme to the ceiling and cover the ceiling in "rock" as well, to complete the illusion of being in a cave. Great job on it so far!

Yeah, I did think about doing the ceiling as well. However, with the materials I was using and keeping costs low, it just wouldn't be safe that close to the lighting. While it's not THAT flammable, if it were to get hot enough it'd probably start melting. Instead, I'm going to try to put stuff up in the ceiling, like overhead bat-storage.

Ha ha!! Those make mine look like a worthless POS! And it really is in comparison! I probably spent less than 1/100th of what they did plus it was all my own labor -- that's why my room is definitely not on par with theirs! Good lawd that'd be awesome!

My wife would let me do this, but she wouldn't let me spend crazy amounts of money on it (like I have crazy amounts of $$). So, it'll do!

definitely would go with the second couch
you dont need a bed i guess, so there is no point in getting the more expensive one. also the extended bed looks like crap and it doesnt seem stable at all from what i can see

A few updates.

I decided not to go with the armory rack that folds down from the ceiling, too much hassle. I will just have the armory area over the couch against the black wall.

We got an IKEA here so my wife and I have been there twice. First to scout, second time to buy. And that was ENOUGH for sure!

However, they did have a few things that are great for the Batcave and quite cheap. One was a magnetic knife rack that will be perfect for batarang display. I bought two of those and put them up, now I need to work on getting more rangs.

IMG_2621.jpg

The second item from IKEA was a glass shelf that fit perfectly in the window opening I have over the TV. With the window blacked out, it looks pretty cool. I got some push lights to go under it as well, and I will be getting a second shelf pretty soon.

IMG_2618.jpg

I might paint the LED lights so that they aren't so blue/white. Just a light coat so that they give off a warmer light.

My wife and I saw a Toys R' Us yesterday when we were out wasting time, and I mentioned that I think they have a Green Lantern ring that looks pretty good. Went in and they had ONE LEFT! So I picked it up -- I think it looks pretty good! I put that on one of the "rock ledges" by the computer.

IMG_2612.jpg

Finally, I was able to reuse the hard cardboard pole that was inside a rug that we bought from IKEA as the cover for my wires on the computer wall.

The look I was going for is for wires to look like they were run through metal poles. I cut the pole in half lengthwise so that I wouldn't have to actually run the cords through the pole, as that would never word. Then I sanded it and painted it with metallic bronze spray paint. After it tried, I just screwed it in over the wires! I think they turned out well!

IMG_2619.jpg

That's it for now ...

Re: Building my own Batcave -- PICS UPDATE 8/8/11

Dude! This is awesome! Definitely inspiration for when I own my own house..

Man that looks awesome! Great Batcave on a small budget! That's what makes it so great!

hey dude, nice cave! Can you please post close up picture of your superman costume? looks great where did you get it?

hey dude, nice cave! Can you please post close up picture of your superman costume? looks great where did you get it?

Hey thanks!

Bodysuit, cape, trunks - Ricky Broussard
Emblem, belt - Bronze Armory
Boots - some guy on eBay who isn't on there anymore
Wig - Boulder costume shop

Here are a few old pics (before the room was turned into a Batcave):

batcave-21.JPG

batcave-5.JPG

batcave-7.JPG

batcave-19.JPG

The mannequin is also wearing one of Brandon's muscle suits to bulk him up a bit.

Hey all, I don't know if you're tired of seeing pics or not, but I thought I would take some better quality pics to show. I have been using my iPhone which isn't the best quality, so these were taken with my digital camera. A little better.

And I get the couch in 9 days! Yay!

IMG_4742.JPG

IMG_4746.JPG

IMG_4743.JPG

IMG_4744.JPG

Man...I was a little worried when you started this but you have really pulled it off. I think it is because you have done a great job with lighting, the use of the props with the posters and the shelving. It's nice to see a collection.

Man...I was a little worried when you started this but you have really pulled it off. I think it is because you have done a great job with lighting, the use of the props with the posters and the shelving. It's nice to see a collection.

Heh heh thanks!! How do you think my wife felt! You saw those pictures of the chicken wire on the wall! I mean CHICKEN WIRE on the wall? Must be something wrong with this guy ...

Luckily, it did turn out and now she really likes being in there as well! She says it feels "cozy" even though it seems so dark and damp. I just pretend I didn't hear that "cozy" part.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back