Building my own Batcave -- transformation vid 10-7-11

Re: Building my own Batcave [PIC HEAVY]

Hey thats realy cool looking.
I like it!!

If you do not already thought about it, you should use a layer of epoxy on the paper so it will be more solid.

Hey thats realy cool looking.
I like it!!

If you do not already thought about it, you should use a layer of epoxy on the paper so it will be more solid.

Please tell me more about this epoxy? I was talking with my wife and we were saying that there just has to be some sort of spray-on hardener or something like that.

That being said, the paper is actually not that brittle. It is that thicker builder's paper that you can lay down for when you're painting and while you can poke a hole through it, just bumping up against it won't hurt it. Also it's a little more sturdy since there is that chicken wire behind it. Good news though is if a whole piece of it did rip down, I can replace it for like $0.20 and I do like that!

I also found a few spray flame retardant products that will also work on paper. I will probably have to purchase some. I don't want to order it online though because the shipping cost is so expensive -- anyone know of a place that actually stocks flame retardant spray? I've never seen it at Home Depot ...

So, an update. I've made quite a bit of progress since my last update.

I decided not to go with the paper because of the problems with it, like FIRE for one!

However, I just wasn't happy with the look of the rigid foam insulation, even sculpted. Didn't look as "craggy" as I like. So I used some rolled foam on the walls. I stapled it over the chicken wire, which will be its skeleton:
photo%2525203.JPG

After it was all up, I painted two coats of brown -- the first light, and the second a little darker brown. I used a wagner paint sprayer for the job, which actually did great! At this point it was starting to look good:
photo%2525204.JPG

After the brown was done, I finished painting the ceiling in black. Then, I misted the black on the walls to darken it up quite a bit. After that coat, I let it dry and then hung up my posters to see how it looked:
photo%2525201.JPG

photo%2525202.JPG

It's important to remember that those three pics above were taken in full, flourescent light so you can see all the flaws and fake-ness. As of yesterday night, I still had flourescent light up and no dimmer. I spent today wiring in two black track lighting fixtures on the left and right sides of the room. They allow for me to direct the light however I want, which is nice. AND they're black, which is also good! I wired in a dimmer switch as well for the low-light look as well as the option of turning it up if I need to take a closer look at something.
photo%2525201.JPG

Here's how it looks with the lower lights:
photo%2525202.JPG

And the panoramic views so you can see what it is actuallylooking like at this point:
photo%2525203.JPG

photo%2525204.JPG

In that alcove, I plan on buying a small loveseat in black leather. I went shopping for one this weekend and was able to settle on one which will be PERFECT! I also plan to paint the window frame in all flat black, cover the windows in that plastic, then paint over that to block light. In the actual opening, I will put shelves to house some display items.

And the last part will be to either paint or seal the floor. It's concrete, but it has paint on it from the sprayer. I actually love the way it looks right now but I'm not sure that I will be able to put a clear paint on it to seal that in. The paint that is currently on the floor isn't floor paint and is sticky and will get stuck to your feet, so I want to coat it with something. Check out the floor though:
photo%2525202.JPG

I think it looks a lot like the floor in TDK, which is what I was going for. Now I just need to find a way to seal that in and keep my socks clean!

Re: Building my own Batcave UPDATED 6/5/11 [PIC HEAVY]

You are totally crazy. I am watching this thread with more anticipation than any other at this point...

Woah this is such a kickass project! I wish I had a basement for my own batcave.

Can't wait for more photos.

Looks Awesome! I'm hoping to do something cool like that when I get a house.

probably making it like the TDK Bat cave with the raw concrete slabs will look a lot better. You can also pull of that look with some painting techniques. That material is just too fake too pull off an excavated rock look (but then again its just my opinion). I'll say do the paper mache' route. You can even make those in "panels" and then install it on the wall.

This concept is just too good to half ass it.

I can't wait to see what the finished 'cave' looks like! It would be even more awesome if you converted the door into a secret bookcase entrance somehow.

This is one of the more epic things I've seen. Keep up the good work and I'm sure I won't be the only one who is impressed by the finished result. (Who am I kidding? I'm impressed now!)

Thanks for all the comments! I am really liking the way it's turning out as well! It's really cool to just be in there working ...

I was painting the window frame all black tonight and trying to figure out where to hang the dual monitors (I may up it to four) and figuring out where to get some glass shelving from (for the window openings). I think Home Depot might have some. I'm also thinking to just put some black foam board over the actual window to block out the light, over the plastic covering.

Just seeing this thread now but it's a great concept. Really looking forward to seeing the end product!

Spot on!!! Kudos to you that looks really amazing!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup

Ok, here's a question:

I want to mount monitors in the left-most window opening. I'm planning on using some foam board to block out the light behind, but I want to have the monitors angle down a bit since I'm not that tall! I'm trying to find a good way to do that but haven't found a wall-mount that would fit itself and the monitors in the opening. The two monitors by themselves do fit in there, but I doubt they would with a mount as well. I was thinking of maybe putting a 2x4 in that area then securing the monitors to that somehow, but I dunno.

The PC connected to them would be a laptop that I think I would try to hide on the wall somewhere or under a ledge that I'd build, that would have a mouse and keyboard on it. The wires will go up to the monitors inside a black PVC pipe.

Any ideas there on how to mount? Thanks!

I think you might want to do more than just foam board on the windows. Besides the light issue, I would be concerned about condensation accumulating on the windows and wreaking havoc on the monitor's electronics.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back