Building an Ark of the Covenant from our kit

I've had some thoughts running through my mind since reading this thread for those who have completed one of these.

When this project was in it's infancy I was contacted by several members who put this together but it was at a time when I gave up message boards for several years, so my apologies to those I never got back to. I would have absolutely loved to be a part of this project had I known it was going on and it burdens me that I wasn't involved as I feel I could have made some contributions. Kudos to all the "top men" involved.

As far as the plating goes, the replicas I've seen have all been super shiny. When I look at the original Ark it looks like a satin finish. It's hard to tell if just the box, legs and top of the lid are satin or if the whole thing is due to lighting conditions? It's hard to tell if the cherubs, accent pieces and reliefs are shiny and the rest is satin or if the just the top lid and entire bottom half are satin with just the accents and cherubs being shiny?
Or, is the entire thing coated in the same satin sheen and the accents and cherubs just look shinier than the rest of it since the light source is always coming from the top?

Could the original have been done in this satin finish or was it plated with a shiny luster and then hit with dulling spray in certain areas like they did with C-3P0 and the Idol to avoid reflection for the camera? Has anyone attempted to spray theirs with dulling spray? I imagine not because the finish is so sweet and shiny. Would it go on smooth or patchy? If it's not coated in dulling spray then it had to be a satin finish of some kind, at least on some of it. Thoughts?

Also, the parts that make up the box and the top lid seem to have a sort of dimpled pattern to them, almost not like wood. Since it's supposed to be built with wood did they use wood for the box or possibly something else? Fiberglass, maybe? Since it only had to look good for the screen I would imagine another source, other than wood, could be a possibility. If it is wood is it a slightly sanded unfinished wood? The completed and plated boxes I've seen look super smooth and very reflective. Thoughts?

Has anyone built theirs without the additional leg supports inside to make it more accurate? I understand exactly why they're there, but are they fully necessary? How much does the lid weight approximately with the cherubs on top?

I asked some time back if the interior trim was included to which Philip replied, "Yes", but I think my question was not fully understood. I'm guessing nobody has attempted to finish the inside as it is seen in the film, which includes added wood support angled at the top and trim bordering the reliefs on the inside and trip which goes along the interior rim. I was able to get a pic of this trim from the hollow bottom when the Ark was here in Chicago some time back.

I also noticed on the kit that the top of the box and top of the legs are flush which is not how it was on the original. The original had a slight lip for the lid to grip when it was closed. I'm guessing the way the lid on the kit was designed was meant more for ease of use and safety of the piece?
So, if you added some height to the box to create this lip, would the lid, as it is in the kit, fit on the box properly?

Sorry I'm so late to the party. Love to hear some opinions.

1595519063026.png

I wouldn't mind building a scaled size one. Maybe 12 to 16 inches long.. Is there a template available I can use to scale down?

Agent5, good questions to increase the accuracy of this kit. The original box and corner legs (not the sculpted feet) were definitely wood. Not sure about the undercarriage of the lid, but all sculpted parts appear to be cast fiberglass/resin. I always assumed the gold metalized finish was shiny at first and just treated with dulling spray and aged with airbrushed thinned paint washes. And I too always wondered about the interior moldings inside the box top edge and around the backs of the side reliefs. This is the only shot from the film that shows it. Is it just smaller leaves similar to those on the lid?

Last edited:
Agent5, good questions to increase the accuracy of this kit. The original box and corner legs (not the sculpted feet) were definitely wood. Not sure about the undercarriage of the lid, but all sculpted parts appear to be cast fiberglass/resin. I always assumed the gold metalized finish was shiny at first and just treated with dulling spray and aged with airbrushed thinned paint washes. And I too always wondered about that interior moldings inside the box top edge and around the backs of the side reliefs. This is the only shot from the film that shows it. Is it just smaller leaves similar to those on the lid?
Its just a small (guessing 1/2" wide repeating pattern of half-moons going along the bottom interior. Not sure about the pic we see above. When I get home from work I'll post a pic. The pics are old and poor quality but still useful.

Its just a small (guessing 1/2" wide repeating pattern of half-moons going along the bottom interior. Not sure about the pic we see above. When I get home from work I'll post a pic. The pics are old and poor quality but still useful.

K. Here’s the pic of the mounding around the reliefs.
06B0634E-0BA2-47A1-91B6-302E8F6CBE85.png

Hi everyone.

I have made my own embroidered covers for the Ark poles, but they are quite difficult to fit into the rings due to the thickness of the fabric.

My plan is to print my own rings ( with a slightly larger inner diameter to solve the problem ). They will only be for aesthetic purposes ( since the Ark will never be lifted using the poles, I don't want to risk the resin legs breaking due to the weight of the Ark ).

I need to purchase four threaded rods exactly the same as those that came with the original rings.

I have tried to screw an M8 nut but it does not fit ...

Does anyone know the thread pitch of these rods ( to make sure they will thread into the metal inserts on the Ark legs )?

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• 275.JPG
    275.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
  • 276.JPG
    276.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 122
Hi everyone.

I have made my own embroidered covers for the Ark poles, but they are quite difficult to fit into the rings due to the thickness of the fabric.

My plan is to print my own rings ( with a slightly larger inner diameter to solve the problem ). They will only be for aesthetic purposes ( since the Ark will never be lifted using the poles, I don't want to risk the resin legs breaking due to the weight of the Ark ).

I need to purchase four threaded rods exactly the same as those that came with the original rings.

I have tried to screw an M8 nut but it does not fit ...

Does anyone know the thread pitch of these rods ( to make sure they will thread into the metal inserts on the Ark legs )?

Thank you very much.
Are you asking what the thread size is in my kits? If so, they are 5/16" x 18 TPI.

They are easy to find here. email me and we can see about sending you some.
You’re such a helpful fella Phillip. Thank you for being an asset to this community. Rebelscum is also a great place to find info, and converse with other collectors, so thanks for that place as well.

Is anyone going all out and doing the interior of the lid and box like we see in the film?

I also noticed the leaves going around the lid on the top are not flush with the outer edge of the lid as the bottom leaves are. I take it there is no way to switch the leaves because it looks like the pitch is different on both curved parts of the lid?

Just noticed a lot of the pics are gone in this thread. Any chance at all they can be put back? They were extremely helpful.

I just went through it and didn't see any missing photos.
For some reason my work pc wasn't showing them but they do work fine otherwise. I just purchased a kit from a member here with a set of SSkunky Cherubs and I'm very excited to get underway. The pics in this thread are so incredibly helpful.
Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back