BTTF Futaba Delorean Remote Project

You should also get a small DeLorean that you control with the remote, maybe mod it that it looks like the time machine? :)

You should also get a small DeLorean that you control with the remote, maybe mod it that it looks like the time machine? :)
I saw a thread on another forum where someone actually used the remote for a RC Delorean he modefied as time machine. Don't remember exactly where I saw this, but it was when I was looking for a Futaba remote that I stumbled upon that thread...

The seller told me that he's going to have 2 more of these Futabas listed on eBay in a few days. I don't know if they are red or green label, but if anyone's looking for one of these they will be listed sometime soon.

I bought a red label remote from him as well. I know he sold another one with a green label the day after I got mine.

I already contacted the Unibox people about ordering a couple of 140 enclosures for the back, (one for each remote) and I was able to locate a vintage Rotex 880 label maker with red tape as well. :cool:thumbsup

The first remote arrived yesterday. :cool

I took it apart and removed the knob and the 2 switches from the top left corner where the readout will go. I also removed the power switch from the front since it's missing from the original prop as well.

Ah... the good old "brute force" method ;). Or like they say: in life, you need two things: a hammer and duct tape. If it's loose and it should be fixed, use the tape. If it's fixed and it should be loose, use the hammer...

This may be a dumb question, but what is the difference between the red label and green label models other than the color of the text?

This may be a dumb question, but what is the difference between the red label and green label models other than the color of the text?

It depends on the model#

I have an FP-T8SGA-P red label model and it is identical except for the color of the PCM label.

But I believe there are other red label models with different model #'s. Not sure if the swiches or look varies on those either.

Helicopter and Car models I think. It's been soo long since I payed attention to this prop. There are guys who have the correct 3 digit displays out there, casted and all but they keep them to themselves. I have access to the "stop" light base and have a mold for the stop lens but i haven't used it a lot and may just need to make another one. Everything else is pretty much right there in the screen caps. It's a fun prop.

I sent Gary a message about his display/stop light parts. He said that he is working on finishing up the Pepsi bottle project right now so he will be working on the remote parts sometime after those are done.

Helicopter and Car models I think.

FP-T8SGA-P is a model airplane control, FP-T8SGH-P is for a model helicopter. Other than some minor labeling differences, the remotes are identical in appearance. The red and green label versions of each model are exactly the same except for the label color. :cool

I received the red PCM remote today. I also got the Rotex 880 and made the labels for the back.

Thanks for answering my question about the PCM color; I'd always wondered.

I already contacted the Unibox people about ordering a couple of 140 enclosures for the back...:cool:thumbsup
So, the standard off the shelf grey Unibox model 140 is the correct box for the back of the remote?

I just want to make sure before I order one that it is actually different than something that I could pick up at Radio Shack.

This is an awesome build thread, btw; I'm watching it even more closely now that it sounds like I may have found someone to sell me my very own futaba!

-Alex

There is a red label Futaba currently listed on eBay from the same seller.
I checked earlier and it's still available if anyone needs one.

... I also removed the power switch from the front since it's missing from the original prop as well.

There must be different remotes, because in this scene the power switch is not missing:

bttf-futaba-delorean-remote-project-futabaremotecontrol3.jpg-81970d1327426610

There must be different remotes, because in this scene the power switch is not missing:

bttf-futaba-delorean-remote-project-futabaremotecontrol3.jpg-81970d1327426610

There are at least 2 different remotes used. Not unusual at all, especially since all of the mall scenes with Marty were re-shot weeks later anyway when they switched from Stoltz to Fox. There are almost always multiple copies of key props made. I would not be surprised at all if there were originally 4 or 5 remotes made just for this one scene.

On the remote with the switch, look at the top corners of the piece of metal the 3 digit display is attached to. The corners are very slightly rounded.

On the remote without the switch, the corners are a bit sharper.

But since I have 2 remotes, I can make one of each. :lol

There is also a discoloration below the display on one of the remotes that doesn't seem to match either of these first 2.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back