BTTF Futaba Delorean Remote Project

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by DB537, Jan 24, 2012.

1. DB537

DB537 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thread for my upcoming project, converting a Futaba FP-T8SGH-P into a screen accurate replica of Doc's DeLorean remote from Back to the Future. This is the rare green label version of the remote.

Here is the remote I will be working with:
    [​IMG]

The screen used version was a FP-T8SGA-P.
    The only visible external difference in the 2 is the letter A/H in the model number, which will be corrected when I start working on this project. There are also some slight differences in the internal electronics which will not affect the appearance or function of the finished prop.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. Pitbull

Pitbull Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Will you post a tutuorial of your electrical work when you finish and where to find certain parts as you go?

good luck with your build and I will be following your progress :cool

3. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

DB537 likes this.
  4. DB537

Yes. I'll be posting lots of photos and info as the build progresses. :cool

5. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Sr Member

If my calculations are correct, when this thread hits 88 posts, you're gonna see some serious sh**!

I love BTTF, so I'll be keeping an eye on this build for sure. Definitely a unique item to choose to build from the movies.

DB537 likes this.
  6. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

^:lol

...should have seen that coming a mile away!!!

7. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This guy used the wrong remote control. Better use screen shots of the real one.

By the way: nice project! Can't wait to see the results. Good luck! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is an awesome prop to create! Looking forward to seeing your work on this one.

DB537 likes this.
  9. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I will be watching this as well. I have a FUTABA ready to go as well....

DB537 likes this.
  10. TomVDJ

TomVDJ Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, you are very lucky to find one of these remotes... Were did you find it, if I can ask?

DB537 likes this.
  11. Jerome

Jerome Active Member

Nice project! I never thought about the remote until now. Is looking for a Futaba remote similar to looking for a vintage Graflex for a lightsaber?

12. TomVDJ

I have no idea how hard it is to find a "vintage Graflex", but the Futaba remote of that type is hard to find. Finding one with the green letters instead of the read, is almost impossible.

13. DB537

It was listed on eBay. :cool

14. DB537

I was incredibly lucky.

This eBay listing was the first page that came up the very first time I even tried searching for a Futaba remote.

15. TomVDJ

Then indeed you were incredibely lucky ;). I'll follow this thread with great interest.

16. mrsmartypants

mrsmartypants Well-Known Member

Add me to the list of lemmings following this thread. :-D

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

DB537 likes this.
  17. DB537

I was looking at my screen caps this morning and I saw something I never noticed before. I already knew that there are supposed to be 2 9V Duracell batteries on the TOP of the Unibox enclosure on the back. In these cropped HD screen caps you can clearly see that there are also 2 of the same batteries on the BOTTOM of the Unibox as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. 11051955

11051955 Member

Good find.

DB537 likes this.
  19. TomVDJ

Yeah, indeed. Great find. Never knew there were batteries on the bottom. But in the screencap there clearly are. Also seems like 2 Duracell 9V batteries, no?

20. DB537

Yes. If it was any other brand I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

21. Nedax

Nedax New Member

You should also get a small DeLorean that you control with the remote, maybe mod it that it looks like the time machine? :)

22. TomVDJ

I saw a thread on another forum where someone actually used the remote for a RC Delorean he modefied as time machine. Don't remember exactly where I saw this, but it was when I was looking for a Futaba remote that I stumbled upon that thread...

23. DB537

If I ever make a 2nd remote I will try to do that. :lol

24. DB537

The seller told me that he's going to have 2 more of these Futabas listed on eBay in a few days. I don't know if they are red or green label, but if anyone's looking for one of these they will be listed sometime soon.

I bought a red label remote from him as well. I know he sold another one with a green label the day after I got mine.

I already contacted the Unibox people about ordering a couple of 140 enclosures for the back, (one for each remote) and I was able to locate a vintage Rotex 880 label maker with red tape as well. :cool:thumbsup

25. DB537

The first remote arrived yesterday. :cool

I took it apart and removed the knob and the 2 switches from the top left corner where the readout will go. I also removed the power switch from the front since it's missing from the original prop as well.

26. Pitbull

Pitbull Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Daniel how did you get the middle knob off?

27. DB537

The power switch? I just broke it off.
    I'm not sure why, but it appears they did the same with the prop.

28. TomVDJ

Ah... the good old "brute force" method ;). Or like they say: in life, you need two things: a hammer and duct tape. If it's loose and it should be fixed, use the tape. If it's fixed and it should be loose, use the hammer...

29. deathscythe

deathscythe Well-Known Member

This may be a dumb question, but what is the difference between the red label and green label models other than the color of the text?

30. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It depends on the model#

I have an FP-T8SGA-P red label model and it is identical except for the color of the PCM label.

But I believe there are other red label models with different model #'s. Not sure if the swiches or look varies on those either.

31. brerrabbit

brerrabbit New Member

Will it trigger three sonic booms?

32. Fluxcapacitor

Fluxcapacitor Well-Known Member

Helicopter and Car models I think. It's been soo long since I payed attention to this prop. There are guys who have the correct 3 digit displays out there, casted and all but they keep them to themselves. I have access to the "stop" light base and have a mold for the stop lens but i haven't used it a lot and may just need to make another one. Everything else is pretty much right there in the screen caps. It's a fun prop.

33. DB537

I sent Gary a message about his display/stop light parts. He said that he is working on finishing up the Pepsi bottle project right now so he will be working on the remote parts sometime after those are done.

34. DB537

FP-T8SGA-P is a model airplane control, FP-T8SGH-P is for a model helicopter. Other than some minor labeling differences, the remotes are identical in appearance. The red and green label versions of each model are exactly the same except for the label color. :cool

35. DB537

I received the red PCM remote today. I also got the Rotex 880 and made the labels for the back.

36. deathscythe

Thanks for answering my question about the PCM color; I'd always wondered.

So, the standard off the shelf grey Unibox model 140 is the correct box for the back of the remote?

I just want to make sure before I order one that it is actually different than something that I could pick up at Radio Shack.

This is an awesome build thread, btw; I'm watching it even more closely now that it sounds like I may have found someone to sell me my very own futaba!

-Alex

DB537 likes this.
  37. DB537

There is a red label Futaba currently listed on eBay from the same seller.
    I checked earlier and it's still available if anyone needs one.

38. DB537

Yes. :cool:thumbsup

39. Roland

There must be different remotes, because in this scene the power switch is not missing:

[​IMG]

40. DB537

There are at least 2 different remotes used. Not unusual at all, especially since all of the mall scenes with Marty were re-shot weeks later anyway when they switched from Stoltz to Fox. There are almost always multiple copies of key props made. I would not be surprised at all if there were originally 4 or 5 remotes made just for this one scene.

On the remote with the switch, look at the top corners of the piece of metal the 3 digit display is attached to. The corners are very slightly rounded.

On the remote without the switch, the corners are a bit sharper.

But since I have 2 remotes, I can make one of each. :lol

There is also a discoloration below the display on one of the remotes that doesn't seem to match either of these first 2.

41. Roland

Yes, you're right. And look at the three lower screws, which are used to attach the metal plate. In different scenes the screw slots are showing into different directions. (I made the first screen grab brighter and marked the screw slots.)

[​IMG]

42. DB537

From screen caps I have determined that the switches on the top left are not removed on the screen used remote, only the top left knob. The metal plate for the display was cut to fit around it, and the switches are hidden behind the plate. So I will put those back on my green remote.

I have rewatched the mall scene several times and I have decided that this remote has to have working sound effects. How difficult would it be to include sound effects and have them controlled by the same switches as the stop light and the display?

(I don't want the actual Futaba remote to be functional at all. My plan is for all of the electronics to be controlled by the switches on the back enclosure.)

Garthok likes this.
  43. Garthok

Garthok Sr Member

I am watching this with interest as well. Thank you for sharing the info you have so far, I have already picked up quite a few tips. Where did you find the right label maker, and the right labels?

Is the 3/8 Dymo gloss Red the correct tape?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  44. DB537

The label maker is a Rotex 880. They are no longer made but you can still find them listed on eBay. I got mine for $12. You have to adjust the tape after each letter to get the correct spacing. The tape is 1/2" red Rotex.

45. Garthok

Garthok Sr Member

Thanks Daniel. I will keep looking. If you decide to offer a run of labels let me know!

46. DB537

If I can get a couple more rolls of the 1/2" red tape I will send you some if you can cover the postage. It shouldn't be much.

47. DB537

I just ordered 2 of the Unibox 140s for the back. They don't have this model available in gray right now, so I got 2 black ones and I'm going to paint them.

48. deathscythe

My green PCM, FP-T8SGA-P Futaba remote should hopefully arrive tomorrow!!!!:thumbsup

49. Garthok

Garthok Sr Member

That would be great. After you told me what tape to get I ordered some from ebay. The 12mm Red, so if that is the right one, and you are not in a hurry for more tape, I can send you a few rolls to say thanks and to print my set out of. It would save me looking for one of the 880 label makers too.

50. TomVDJ

You were able to get your hands on a green one? Where did you get it, if I can ask? I have a red on it's way, but hope to get my hands on a green one some day.