Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Its back on!

The original body part sculpt is in a thousand pieces in a bin bag in my garden :) Feel free to come & rummage around :D

It may seem a shame to have destroyed it but its served its purpose... The moulds are made!
It would have been nice to keep it as a back up in case of a problem with the mould but due to it getting damaged as badly as it did during de-moulding it forced my hand.

As a part its purpose is to help display the head & to me the head is the important part. The original head sculpt is mostly intact & repairable should I need it as is the jaw & the tongue.

:)

it is possible always keep a copy of polyurethane as a model, to remake the molds if they needed. Usually the models get damaged because the material is not hard and homogeneous (for example, layers of different material). But a pattern of a single material should not damage.

Whoo ooh! Its getting closer and closer! So excited.
Will def look awesome, I'm sure of it.
Can't wait to see the final.... and to order one! :)

Beauty mold: Pro-Job once again mate! The original has been destroyed to give birth to many more...

Thanks guy's :)

The mould looks a little nicer now :) I cleaned it all up yesterday, washed the rubber & ground all the flanges on the jackets. Its all assembled & I've dusted the inside ready for casting.
There's still work to do though! I've got to extend the mould & fabricate something to mount it securely into the rotocaster frame. Its a heavy mould so the mounts need to be built well. I've also got to consider 3kg of liquid plastic sloshing about & (momentarily at least) having an effect on the mounted weight.

The plastic is on order & should be here in a couple of days which should give me time to figure out a suitable mounting solution :)

I've been busy figuring out how to suspend this heavy mould in my rotocaster.
849.jpg

This may seem a little over engineered but I can't think of a better solution that'll be strong & light :)
I started by trying to find the centre of gravity for the mould which was relatively simple & I marked it out.
848.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't use any of the flanges.

I then started to fabricate reinforcements out of cardboard & this is what I have:
850.jpg

851.jpg

This is as simple as I can do it & holding it up to the frame it fits like a glove :)

The plan is the recreate the cardboard sections in fiberglass. I'll take this lot apart & lay each section down on a flat surface & build a low clay wall around each piece. I'll then just lay some FG in with resin & leave it to set.
I'll bond each piece on to the mould with FG paste with glass strand & then overlay with FG matt.

Lets hope it works :)

Last edited:

Outstanding construction! Worthy of engineering!:eek:thumbsupI:thumbsup
In your opinion, it was not possible to use at least three well-tensioned wire ropes?

Outstanding construction! Worthy of engineering!:eek:thumbsupI:thumbsup
In your opinion, it was not possible to use at least three well-tensioned wire ropes?

In order to hold this mould steady it would put too much tension on the frame, also if the mould moves about it'll overload the gears.
This why I'm doing it this way, finding the centre of gravity, centering the mould in the frame & fixing it rigidly so it doesn't move. Unfortunately I can't do anything about the 3 or so KG's of liquid plastic sloshing around momentarily changing the centre of gravity.

Or you could rotate it by holding it in your arms, so you keep fit and in a few months you could participate in a bodybuilding contest. :D

Lol :lol I tried that with the head mould, difficult! I'd end up covered in FG splinters & an uneven thickness casting :)

:D
I've made up walls & cut the FG for the most of it, there will be just two pieces to do either side after these
853.jpg

I'm using 3 layers of FG for all but the mounting plates which will have 5 layers :)

Last edited:

Thrilling.:) Yours, is true love for the technique! :loveYou drown the fibers in the resin inside those little walls?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back