Blade Runner - Leon's COP Pistol

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by eltee, Jul 8, 2006.

Tags:
  1. eltee

eltee Sr Member

There has been some debate regarding the pistol Leon used to shoot Bladerunner Holden during the interrogation scene. The debate was whether the gun was silver or black. The pistol, a COP 357 mag., is usually seen in blurry photos or photos with lighting/shadow issues or reflecting the flash from the pistol firing.

I recently received a studio publicity still of Leon (Brion James) aiming but not firing. I believe it is an original still, not a repro. I have enlarged the pistol part of the image. It would appear that the pistol is a two-tone. Note that the lower receiver / trigger guard seems to be silver up to the hinge area, the rest of the pistol seems to be black.

It was written somewhere that the prop pistol was modified to fire all four barrels at once (the real one fires one at a time) for flash effect, and maybe when they were tinkering with the barrel assembly they mated a black upper to a stainless (silver) lower.

Here is a picture of my COP airsoft:

[​IMG]

Here is a closeup of the COP from the publicity still:

[​IMG]

Bear in mind that the photo hosting service I'm using limits the size (resolution) of the photo so it is not as clear as the original but I think it still shows the clean demarcation of silver to black. I realize this is not conclusive and that this photo may also be subject to lighting, shadows, resolution as well but ... this is the clearest photo I've personally seen of the screen used gun.

2. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

If the barrels part were black, why does the front of the foresight appear bright? I believe it was all silver.

Plus I thought it was made so two barrels fired simoultaneously?

SAS

3. mrviper

mrviper New Member

Hello all.

Here is my two cents worth. After studying stills and publicity stills made on set at the time of shooting.
    I have compared how brown and black look in black and white. I feel that the grips where brown.
    The top two barrels fired first pull of the trigger and the second pull of the trigger fired the bottom two barrels.
    I have checked with a friend who is very knowledgable about this subject he has even talk with the propmaster on the shoot. So there is my two cents worth like i said. Did you know that this gun was also used in at least 3 more production?

Bad boys
    Matrix Reloaded
    Battlestar Galatica ( the new one )

4. Krel

Krel Sr Member

The silver COP pistol was used as the compact undercover/off-duty pistol in "Special Unit II". It was also used in a low budget Eric Estrada film "Twisted Justice" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100826/ . It had a piece added to the muzzle to give it one barrel and was used as a stun gun.

David.

5. purifier

purifier New Member

Re: Blade Runner - Leon's COP Pistol

It was also used by Monica Bellucci as Persephone in Matrix: Reloaded to kill the vampire :thumbsup
    By the way, in Blade Runner it was modified to shot with 2 barrels at a time, non all 4 :cool
    My question for you gun experts now: if I acquired one, would it be legal for me to have that modification done?

6. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Thread Necromancy +1

7. gomcse

gomcse Member

@Purifier: A multi-shot firearm with a single trigger pull qualifies as a "machine gun" in most, or all, states and is probably illegal. You should check with your local authorities if you plan on purchasing a real COP .357.

Dave

8. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow 6 years...

9. gomcse

gomcse Member

Yes. LOL. I'm new on the forum and I'm trying to find this airsoft pistol! CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE. I'm considering buying a real one just so I can have the darn thing.

Dave

10. Sundowner

Well I'm all for a real steel version but I've seen a few resin replicas pop up hear and there. You're right the silver COP airsoft version is nearly impossible to find without a hefty price tag.

11. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Doesn't Rich Coyle make an all metal replica of this thing? That opens and takes dummy shells?

12. Sundowner

I saw a concept one but I thought it was a futuristic looking version based off of the COP. Heck he so talented if he didn't make one I'm sure he could!

13. Sundowner

14. SKIN JOB 66

SKIN JOB 66 Well-Known Member

I'm the one who did this version of the Cop.

It was based on concept sketches for Deckard's gun found in the BR sketchbook that was published in 1982. Made it from a Sidkit model with replacement barrel that came from a COP airsoft version.

Rich Coyle was supposed to do a run of his own version after mine at a certain point on propsummit but since there wasn't enough interest the whole project went into oblivion...

Oh, and I've repainted it since the pics above were first posted on propsummit, it now looks like this :

[​IMG]

For those who wonder, YES, there's a led mounted in the grip...

:love

Hope it'll help clarify how and why this concept model was made...

Fred

Attached Files:

rickhoward likes this.
  15. gomcse

gomcse Member

Awesome work. I will ask Rich about it. Thanks, Dave.

16. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

I think Matsuo has molds off a COP 357 and does some of the best casting work out there.

17. Sundowner

Thats a pretty awesome blaster btw

18. gomcse

gomcse Member

Matsuo's mold is not longer available, but thanks for that info. Dave.

19. SKIN JOB 66

Thanks !

:cool

20. gomcse

gomcse Member

So, with a big "Thank you!" to Mr_Creepy about what paint to use, and to Skin Job 66 for helping me find a COP in ANY color...here is what I started with and what I ended up with...

Started: Marushin Airsoft COP 357 in Black (the photos of the black gun were taken of someone else's COP. I don't know who they are and can't give them credit as a result. If it's you, let me know and I'll post credit for the photos of the black COP. Mine got painted with the Testor's before I thought to take a "before image"):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here it is after painting the handles wood-tone and the body in Stainless Steel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm LOVING it. It's metal, heavy, bright, and I'll go make a plaque for it. w00t!!

Dave

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  21. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks great! :cheers

22. SKIN JOB 66

Great work Dave !

:love

23. RobI

RobI Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My apologies for resurrecting this thread from the dead, however is anyone interested in making a mold off a REAL COP .357? Yes, a real gun. I have one.

I know there are firearms legality issues involved so it would have to be someone in MA, NH, ME, VT (I'm in MA) where could be there for the process. I hold licenses in many states but it'd be tough to travel far for just a mold. I'm in MA.

Just throwing that out there.

24. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Kicking the thread back....What's the latest consensus on the color? Has this been determined yet?
    The actual COP offered then was only silver, yet the screen caps most of us have seen it really looks overall black and
    possibly the firearm was painted, though the trigger guard appears silver but could just have been reflecting light.

25. jediknight129

jediknight129 New Member

The best shot I have ever seen which annoyingly I don't have access too anymore, was an article discussing where to get things from BR, tracking down props etc and as far as I remember it is a silver trigger guard and brown grips. also fun sidenote, a silver marushin COP is the thing Rversong uses to burn the message into the block of stone message to the doctor in the library.

26. Darthwolf7

Darthwolf7 Well-Known Member

They ONLY produced that gun in stainless steel finish at the time of the movie!?! Pretty much end of discussion?!... they may have modified it by painting it black but since most of the prop guns at the time were usually rented by sets not purchased...I doubt highly that they would have painted the top black and left the rest silver?? It looks black because the surface area is catching the reflection of the environment around it...ie a dark and colony room produces a dark finish on the gun...you see the sliver on the trigger guard because the lights from the barrel blast are reflecting on it...it is stainless steel...even though I have a black COP I got years ago thinking Leon's was black then.. I have since changed my thoughts on it...my 2¢………cheersz

From the mobile office of Wolf Navarro

27. Darthwolf7

Also, Sundowner...they are available on their site I thought!?!... cheers!
    Or follow the link on the Prop Summit thread...

28. androidandy

androidandy Sr Member

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  29. Darthwolf7

I have a black one myself simply because I always thought it was black!?! The prop summit forum is awesome and the discussion has finally changed my mind back now to black...its been a very interesting discussion for sure. Alas, always trust your first instincts....cheers!

30. Darthwolf7

Also...might snag another at that price and mod it to the Syd Mead drawings!?! That would be fun!???

31. Darthwolf7

Sorry ...not Syd.. Danes drawings of the altered prop...oops!?!

32. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

Incredible how we're still discussing the movie and its props 30+ years later. :)

33. androidandy

androidandy Sr Member

I never trust my first instincts anymore actually. But I do listen to them. I see things as a range of probability and over time with more info the picture gets clearer and we can finally start to really have an idea. Even still just the process of making movies leaves tons of inconsistencies that can trick us into seeing things we really don't. That is part of the illusion to begin with :D

Andy

34. Darthwolf7

Well said!! Cheers!

35. CessnaDriver

I get a silver airsoft on Monday, flat black spraypaint is the plan but my decision now is does the trigger guard area stay silver?
    Is it just light reflected? Having a hard time with that because the muzzle area is clearly flat black even when reflecting some light.
    Behind his finger also looks silver so the trigger at least stayed silver. You wouldnt want to gum that up with paint.
    Maybe that is why that area was left silver? to prevent any potential firing problems.

I am going to try a few basic lighting experiments while it is silver though and see if there is any way possible to make it appear black or at least dark looking. A digital camera is no way going to behave like film back then.
    Anyone have suggestions on settings on the camera to try to get closer to what film was capable of back then?

36. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

Could it be as simple as the barrel assembly comes off the frame and it got painted black and the rest didn't? (But then, it does look black behind the trigger as well.)

37. CessnaDriver

Just a very quick dirty lighting attempt to make it appear black.

[​IMG]

38. Rook 3

Rook 3 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sorry for the refresh, but what happened to propsummit? If you click the link above it takes you
    to a "this domain was just registered" parking location!

39. Stefan Jones

Stefan Jones Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

thats what I get....

40. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The site's been having technical issues off and on for over a year that they're working on getting sorted out.

A note about it was posted over there, but I forgot the specifics. I could try and post a link to the thread, but.... :lol

41. joberg

joberg Master Member

Joberg here originally from Propsummit, Tom is trying to change host, if I'm not mistaken, and also trying not to loose pictures and threads that were made years ago; it would be terrible to loose some of those since we have sooo much infos in there (and definite answers on quite a few subjects).
    I'm sure the behind-the-scene guys are doing the best job possible, so we can return sooner rather than later;)

42. Darthwolf7

This is good to hear! Missing that site a lot!!!

"Give it to Holden, he's good!?!"

43. MAJSmith

MAJSmith Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Another 4 years...

Is it silver or black?!?!

44. joberg

joberg Master Member

It's silver and black ;)

Sean likes this.
  45. CessnaDriver

Blilver.

Sean likes this.
  46. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Slack.

Sean likes this.
  47. stussy

stussy Active Member

funny:lol

48. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

LMAO>>>>:lol:lol:lol

49. MAJSmith

MAJSmith Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I checked it out. The real gun is silver. They must have painted the top to better handle the reflection from the lights.

50. stussy

stussy Active Member