Bill Turner's knife from Pirates of the Caribbean

Kobeque

I like replicating underappreciated props, so here is my attempt at a replica of Bill Turner's "Black Knife" from Pirates of the Caribbean. This is the knife that Bootstrap Bill gives him, and the same knife that is used to cut out his heart at the end of the third film. There's hardly any good reference of this knife available, but I'll include everything I could find on it in this thread.

Here is the actual prop, It's scratch-built out of PVC and acrylic sheet and then painted with rattle cans and acrylics. I used wood putty to sculpt in the barnacles and other crusty details which are present all over the knife in the film.

IMG_2046.JPG

IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2048.JPG

Here are the references images I used for those project, mostly screenshots from the film itself.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 11.28.13 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 11.28.13 am.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 625
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 11.28.18 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 11.28.18 am.png
    2 MB · Views: 263
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 11.28.22 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 11.28.22 am.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,606
  • Bootstrapsknife.jpg
    Bootstrapsknife.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 431
Those barnacle details look great, nice work! Love the faux woodgrain in the "bare spots" rather than just leaving it a single color.

many times what youre actually seeing in the first two POTC sequels, as goo/barnacles is a batch of contaminated rubber. It was used to coat/cover, to recycle existing cannonball moulds until new ones had to be made, the iron maiden cages seen at the start, the bone cages, pistols, swords and knives...

The Bill/Will knife if memory serves was a custom rush job, one hero, multiple rubber castings. There was a mould made of just the grips should anything happen to the original hero grips due to heavy use in and around water. I still have some of those castings in a drawer. Ill look tomorrow.

Until then, here is that hero knife before leaving to the production.
Potc_Heros2.JPGPotc_Heros.JPG

many times what youre actually seeing in the first two POTC sequels, as goo/barnacles is a batch of contaminated rubber. It was used to coat/cover, to recycle existing cannonball moulds until new ones had to be made, the iron maiden cages seen at the start, the bone cages, pistols, swords and knives...

The Bill/Will knife if memory serves was a custom rush job, one hero, multiple rubber castings. There was a mould made of just the grips should anything happen to the original hero grips due to heavy use in and around water. I still have some of those castings in a drawer. Ill look tomorrow.

View attachment 1423790View attachment 1423791
Well damn robstyle , Those are some incredible BTS photos and an even cooler explanation! Super keen to see pictures of the grips castings! Also fantastic build there Kobeque

View attachment 1423790View attachment 1423791
Wow, that's incredible! Thanks so much for that insight, I love learning details like that. Please put up a photo of those grips if you get the chance, I'd love to have another go at this prop with accuracy in mind. Cheers!

sorry for the delay, life stuff. These are back up castings made of, what we called, liquid wood which is a rubbery durable plastic like what old radios are made from. Ive tried to brighten them up a little. Like most everything from the first two sequels they went out one color and were constantly touched up, repainted or just dipped in a pail of blackish wash when needed. Not much continuity.

Bill_Will_Knife_Handles1.JPGBill_Will_Knife_Handles2.JPGBill_Will_Knife_Handles3.JPG

sorry for the delay, life stuff. These are back up castings made of, what we called, liquid wood which is a rubbery durable plastic like what old radios are made from. Ive tried to brighten them up a little. Like most everything from the first two sequels they went out one color and were constantly touched up, repainted or just dipped in a pail of blackish wash when needed. Not much continuity.

View attachment 1424995View attachment 1424996View attachment 1424997
That's incredible! Thanks for posting those I'll definitely be having another go at this prop now.

This is why I love this site so much. you're looking around, find a reply like this that starts with "Yeah they did xzy for abc and whatever else, I'll show you the originals I made for the thing tomorrow" and you're like WHAT?! Then it's like, "Here's this obscure cool thing next to a ruler that you never thought you'd see your welcome." All I can say is thank you props department, love this info so much."

This is why I love this site so much. you're looking around, find a reply like this that starts with "Yeah they did xzy for abc and whatever else, I'll show you the originals I made for the thing tomorrow" and you're like WHAT?! Then it's like, "Here's this obscure cool thing next to a ruler that you never thought you'd see your welcome." All I can say is thank you props department, love this info so much."
Right? Where else can you see stuff like this for such a niche topic, it's an amazing resource and community.

I found the blade used for the prop for anyone still looking. It's an old 18th century Roach Belly scalper sold by Crazy Crow trading post.

Here's the link. You can see the beveled wood scales, the serpentine pin pattern and the brass rivets. I knew that I recognized the knife when I saw it, I just couldn't remember where.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back