Best Raiders Fertility Idol.. Questions!

With the pics this time

Attachments

• 78A54090-A68C-438E-8C5F-B08E20FF234E.jpeg
    78A54090-A68C-438E-8C5F-B08E20FF234E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
  • B41888F6-2FDE-4BB0-9474-9A8AA35E935F.jpeg
    B41888F6-2FDE-4BB0-9474-9A8AA35E935F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 114
  • 30E00235-B61A-4F0E-B60E-855EF88A7AD7.jpeg
    30E00235-B61A-4F0E-B60E-855EF88A7AD7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
Being new to RFP, I've been looking through the Indiana Jones related threads. Came across this one discussing the ROTLA Idol. Very informative, especially the series of pictures by Indy Magnoli (image and titles of each). The first idol that I bought was back in August 2009. (Diamond Select Toys Indiana Jones Idol Replica Bank, $19.99.) I was cash strapped at the time but just "had" to have this "artifact". Figured it would be good enough. Wow, was I wrong! What I received looked NOTHING like the picture. And I gave it to my one grandson who was crazy about Indy. Should have just saved my money up to get a better one. Lessons learned.

Attachments

• Indy Golden Idol Bank.jpg
    Indy Golden Idol Bank.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 67
Being new to RFP, I've been looking through the Indiana Jones related threads. Came across this one discussing the ROTLA Idol. Very informative, especially the series of pictures by Indy Magnoli (image and titles of each). The first idol that I bought was back in August 2009. (Diamond Select Toys Indiana Jones Idol Replica Bank, $19.99.) I was cash strapped at the time but just "had" to have this "artifact". Figured it would be good enough. Wow, was I wrong! What I received looked NOTHING like the picture. And I gave it to my one grandson who was crazy about Indy. Should have just saved my money up to get a better one. Lessons learned.
Reviving this thread, because well, Indy is on the mind again haha. I was going to ask didnt the Bank they sold at Disneyland claim to have been casted from the prop in some (granted far removed) fashion? I remember it was brought up in another thread but I couldnt find it. Even with all my archaeological prowess lol.

Also to appease the Hovitos here's some work I did on my 3rd gen casted stunt idol. Been playing around with some paint options as I noticed the reason why so many stunts have their details blown out is actually the use of chrome paint, as it needs to pool to smooth out a surface to create a metallic shine. I didnt want to blow out the details on this casting as its a pretty good cast with alot of detail, so I tried more hand painted techniques. Happy with it.

New Idol Paint2.jpg

I went over details of this cast and others I've had the honor of holding or seeing and the details are very good. Its definitely an older mold casting of the stunt, you can even see where the mold has begun to delaminate in certain areas which are details I left in because it is kind of an artifact to itself. Helps me keep track of lineage. This one was purchased from a retired prop maker from NorCal, close to the ranch. they claim to have begun production of castings back in the 80's. I've compared it with the other stunts (Including one that was cast from Paramount Studios) details hold up.

New Idol Paint1.jpg

Also to appease the Hovitos here's some work I did on my 3rd gen casted stunt idol. Been playing around with some paint options as I noticed the reason why so many stunts have their details blown out is actually the use of chrome paint, as it needs to pool to smooth out a surface to create a metallic shine. I didnt want to blow out the details on this casting as its a pretty good cast with alot of detail, so I tried more hand painted techniques. Happy with it.

View attachment 1716976

I went over details of this cast and others I've had the honor of holding or seeing and the details are very good. Its definitely an older mold casting of the stunt, you can even see where the mold has begun to delaminate in certain areas which are details I left in because it is kind of an artifact to itself. Helps me keep track of lineage. This one was purchased from a retired prop maker from NorCal, close to the ranch. they claim to have begun production of castings back in the 80's. I've compared it with the other stunts (Including one that was cast from Paramount Studios) details hold up.

View attachment 1716977
Nice. I just did something similar to my Belloq idol, which had the very shiny chrome paint which muted a lot of detailing. I hit it with gold leaf and some very light shadowing. Here is before…

1694085655180.png

1694085619667.png

And after…
1694085722277.jpeg

1694085761251.jpeg

1694085806259.jpeg

1694085840987.jpeg

Attachments

• 1694085600216.png
    1694085600216.png
    11.5 MB · Views: 39
Nice. I just did something similar to my Belloq idol, which had the very shiny chrome paint which muted a lot of detailing. I hit it with gold leaf and some very light shadowing. Here is before…

View attachment 1737256
View attachment 1737255

And after…
View attachment 1737257
View attachment 1737258
View attachment 1737259
View attachment 1737260
Nice!

I was curious how the gold leaf would take or if it would leave too much texture on the surface but it looks really good! You can definitely see more of the sculpt details as well. There's something about a prop like this having too much of a chrome or mirror shine surface texture that people dont realize the sculpt gets lost because they focus on making it look like metal. Love what you did. :)

There's something about a prop like this having too much of a chrome or mirror shine surface texture that people dont realize the sculpt gets lost because they focus on making it look like metal.

Couldn’t agree more. Thanks man.

I hit it with some fullers earth (pics attached) but I think I’m going to go back to the pristine look.

I mean I think it looks fine and works, but after seeing it dusty, I think there’s something about that prop, maybe because of the iconic pedestal scene, that in my mind just looks mystical. The dust I think maybe takes away from that.

Attachments

• IMG_4239.jpeg
    IMG_4239.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4236.jpeg
    IMG_4236.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 46

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back