Bengrim's Darth Vader reveal project

Great work Ben.It needs only a little bit more texture between the rings.But I think thats not so easy to create with a 3D programm.
Getting there, it’s a big enjoyable learning curve, getting the right texture is a challenge on its own, it’s either buy poliigon texture files or create my own

just started the right hose before I forget how I created the left hose

The left hose is at a point now where I can easily go back to it to refine it more and add texture

also going to revisit the nose/lip guard, I’ve had a very enlightening conversation with a really really nice guy tonight

Getting there, it’s a big enjoyable learning curve, getting the right texture is a challenge on its own, it’s either buy poliigon texture files or create my own

just started the right hose before I forget how I created the left hose

The left hose is at a point now where I can easily go back to it to refine it more and add texture

also going to revisit the nose/lip guard, I’ve had a very enlightening conversation with a really really nice guy tonight
Sounds great!You are on the right way my friend. :D (y)

Yes, Marcus is right. Turquoise-ish color....I haven't looked at my reference in a while, but I believe the ribs are the turquoise color and the fabric is a white/off-white color.

Going to post my thoughts on these for anyone that decides to search for them more than I have over the last 15 years. With a turquoise rib coloring, I think the hoses were most probably a part of 'something' that would be visible by the public.....probably from the 60s/70s when this color was in vogue. The hoses are either originally manufactured flat as we see them or were originally round and were made flat for the application on the prop. I would think the former due to uniformity and my ramblings below, but hard to tell with the reference we have.

The hose also looks like it has an inner reinforcement, which spirals between the outer ribs. This would be why the fabric bulges out consistently between the outer ribs at the main bend. If there were no inner reinforcement, the fabric could also pinch inward. It doesn't do this anywhere I can see.

The material of the outer ribs and the inner reinforcement is another question I have pondered. I believe the outer ribs are plastic (due to color and reflection we can see) while the inner reinforcement is most probably metal.

Man, i did not know there were so many folds and creases between the ridges... :oops:

Looking great!
There’s quite a few you don’t see with piece being so small, only when you zoom I’m do you actually see the finer details
Sooooooo I’m given myself the arduous task of trying to replicate as much as I can
The task might get a little easier as from today as I’ve just received a graphics pen for my birthday, drawing on blender with a mouse is a PITA.
image.jpg
The left hose is far from finished, there’s still lots of refinements to do on it.
I’ve just started work on the right side hose, just getting the basic shape with the rings at the correct angle and distance is the easy bit, thanks to gonk27 for his fantastic work on the measurements.

There’s quite a few you don’t see with piece being so small, only when you zoom I’m do you actually see the finer details
Sooooooo I’m given myself the arduous task of trying to replicate as much as I can
The task might get a little easier as from today as I’ve just received a graphics pen for my birthday, drawing on blender with a mouse is a PITA.
View attachment 1455935The left hose is far from finished, there’s still lots of refinements to do on it.
I’ve just started work on the right side hose, just getting the basic shape with the rings at the correct angle and distance is the easy bit, thanks to gonk27 for his fantastic work on the measurements.
Love it!
Also, blender with a mouse isn’t quite as bad as it might seem, it just takes getting used to.

I’ve got a bit of a gap in my 3D printing jobs and also waiting for paint to dry, so I Bit the bullet tonight and started back on my Vader reveal, I’m going to try and fit more Vader work in between the other projects I’ve got on the go
So this is probably the first of many adjustments I might do to the crown before I cut off the lower jaw View attachment 1049222

Did we ever establish where your crown piece was sourced? I browsed from page 1 and might have missed it. :/ Even unfinished in this pic, it looks damn impressive.

OMG what’s up with blender, it’s slower than a snail on broken glass
Any well adapted blender users with any add on knowledge that can speed this MOFO up

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back