Bengrim's Darth Vader reveal project

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Bengrim09, May 14, 2016.

1. Bengrim09

Bengrim09 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well I think it's time I started my own thread for my reveal build you are all welcome to comment all information and HELP is very welcome
    I've had contact with Kurtyboy and kroenen77 via there own threads and they are very inspirational thanks chaps I'm still watching your threads
    so hear goes
    I've been drawing up and having metal parts cut out from my cousin now renamed by kroenen77 is now my " laser-cousin "
    had some success but still need to refine them as I'm drawing parts up from pictures image.jpg what you see are not the finished items as they need refining

2. Bengrim09

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  3. Bengrim09

Just trying to draw up some head keys at the moment and I'm getting many variations in sizes throughout the pictures I'm trying to scale from some are showing 36mm long, 40mm and 42mm with an average of 6mm wide anybody got some actual measurements they can share before I send my drawing off to be test cut would save loads of time
    thanks

4. Bengrim09

Drawn up the teeth for the lower jaw of a pic I found from an old Vader build forum, it looks ok but not sure how screen accurate it is but its only the teeth on show, going to send it off for cutting and see how it looks when I get it back
    what do people think ?

5. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Hi Bengrim09,

... looks like you're of to a wonderful future for offering screen-accurate replicas ... I for one will be following your progress closely :)

Chaim

Bengrim09 likes this.
  6. Bengrim09

Thanks Chaim
    if I can get them to look screen accurate then I will offer them to whoever wants them but I will need advise and help off as many builders who have already built or have information to share regarding measurements as its not just for me but other members to enjoy.

Ben

Sym-Cha likes this.
  7. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Bengrim09 likes this.
  8. Bengrim09

Your a top man thank you very much I will draw up some more parts and see how they look when I start getting them back
    I won't forget the help your giving me thanks

Ben

Sym-Cha likes this.
  9. Bengrim09

Going to try and get to the engineers shop this week and see if he can make me some metal screws for my neck collar ( thanks to kurtyboy for one ) and 5 my wife got me going to get 6 done as I've now got 6
    image.jpg image.jpg
    pictures to follow when there done

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  10. Bengrim09

Getting fed up waiting for my parts to come back from my "laser cousin" and the neck collar nut from the machinists
    Arghhhh I want them NOW
    But in the meantime I'm seriously considering the dental expanders "what a pain to find" can get modern ones at a cost or resin ones but how hard would it be to get them commissioned to be made just need a couple of original ones
    Anybody have any thoughts on it or am I just an idiot ?
    Desperate time means desperate measures
    I only want what looks right

11. Bengrim09

image.jpeg image.jpeg Just got the lower jaw teeth back and I've had them made from 2 thicknesses of metal 1.5mm and 3mm I'm not sure of the correct thickness of material needed so I need help from somebody who already has some so I can get some made as they should be, so please anybody who knows please comment as I need a little information

Thanks Ben

Sym-Cha likes this.
  12. Bengrim09

image.jpeg
    Got my first metal cut piano keys back for inspection and to check out the size and I think the drop in the big keys needs to be 1.5mm and not 1mm as the defined shape needs to be a little more and the overall length of the flat angled piece that lays flat at the side of the short key needs to be at least 8 to 10mm longer.
    but I would say not a bad first effort on the keys.

Input would be appreciated.
    Thanks for looking
    Ben

13. Bengrim09

image.jpeg
    Getting there slowly and very happy with what's turning out just need to keep refining until I get a " happy product " that resembles the other great Vader reveal projects on this forum but help and info from other builders wouldn't just help me but other future forum members and builders.
    Thanks for reading
    Ben.

14. Bengrim09

image.jpg
    Going to try and draw up some forehead parts this weekend ( not the expanders that's another challenge ) and see how they turn out.

15. Bengrim09

image.jpg Well I've drawn up some more items to be cut but I'm still waiting on my other bits to come back that I altered earlier this week can't rush him as my " laser cousin " might tell me where to go as he is fitting them in between other jobs
    View attachment 631927 View attachment 631928

16. Bengrim09

Oops I've forgot to put a second hole in the forehead part what a prize plumb I nearly was !!!

17. Bengrim09

18. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Hi Ben,

You're doing great sofar ... ask sskunky or kurtyboy via PM for unknown sizes ... those are the only guys I know that have most of the parts already in their possession ... unless they care to join us here with their personal comments of course.

I for one could use a set of those lower jaw teeth ... whatever the correct size might be and indeed those last items you're creating :)

Chaim

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Bengrim09 likes this.
  19. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

Bengrim09 likes this.
  20. Bengrim09

Now I see * I now know I can use without offending lol
    unless there are bollocks out there reading this then I'm sorry

- - - Updated - - -

thanks Chaim I will keep you up to date
    Ben

sskunky and H0llyw00d like this.
  21. Bengrim09

OMG the linkages on the side's are tad tough to get right
    There are plenty of pictures around to see how intricate they are and many pics of scratch built ones all separate but don't look the same as the original screen ones ( try and try again )
    Anybody know what machine they originally came from ? Would love to reverse engineer a couple

22. Bengrim09

Does anybody know the actual size of the top disc please PM me
    I'm trying to get my parts cut and finished one at a time as I've to many bits on the go and don't want to confuse my " laser cousin " he is easily flustered, bless him !!

23. Bengrim09

Remember the piano keys and the flat angled piece that lay at the side of the smaller key from pictures earlier, well it didn't look right so I've had it remade and it looks 100% better.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    No 1 is now fired. No 2 is now hired.

24. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll measure my sh#t tonight!

Bengrim09 likes this.
  25. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

You are very busy...great...but work slow.This is not a project for 2 weeks.Thrust me...I know it!:lol

Bengrim09 likes this.
  26. Bengrim09

Got a bit of time on my hands in the evenings so an hour here and there won't go a miss
    cheers Kroenen

- - - Updated - - -

cheers Kurtyboy much appreciated

27. Bengrim09

Got my lower jaw teeth back cut them at 2mm thickness and I think job done on them little puppies :)
    image.jpeg

28. kurtyboy

BTW, the screw on the collar was plastic painted silver.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait, I didn't realise you had covered up all the dimensions so what do I check?

Bengrim09 likes this.
  29. Bengrim09

I will pm you o couple of pics I have with the measurements on

30. Bengrim09

Going to get the plastic collar nuts metal made

31. Bengrim09

I'm loving this, seeing it slowly coming on is very rewarding and it gets better, I've decided to buy another lathe after my other was destroyed in a garage fire where I used to store and use it ( let's go shopping ) :D

32. Bengrim09

All the time will be spent on cutting / filling / sanding again and again and again on my mask as its a piece of bantha fodder !

33. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

You will always see something at the mask that is not correct.This mask is one of the most difficult to build props of all time.

Bengrim09 likes this.
  34. Bengrim09

Thanks Kroenen I really am looking forward to chopping filling and sanding my mask
    The mask is a bit of a mess actually, looking at all the other builds they started of 100% better than mine is now, bought it of *bay about 4 years ago on an impulse thinking this will be easy ( boy was I wrong ) looking at what you and other builders have done to the better masks mine is going to be a complete rip apart and rebuild.

35. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Post some pics of the process.I think we could help you a little bit.;)
    Did you seen Marcus work on his very bad Ketzer Cast?He made a very great job.

Bengrim09 likes this.
  36. kurtyboy

Why? They are plastic ;)

Bengrim09 likes this.
  37. Bengrim09

Didn't know they were plastic
    They look metal it's a good paint job
    Going to get one made and just see how it looks, can't hurt or am I over thinking it and being a plum ?

38. Bengrim09

I've been following Markus and his build on his ketzer mask and he is the one of the reasons I've started my build he and others are very inspiring but I'm sure my mask is much worse than that but I really love a challenge I will post picks of what I have and all that I do to it feedback will be greatly appreciated
    Cheers kroenen

39. Bengrim09

I'm getting them re-done to metal as I've just noticed the plastic knurled end is a straight cut and not criss cross effect like the original

40. kurtyboy

Yes I know the knurl has changed, but they are both plastic.

Bengrim09 likes this.
  41. Bengrim09

If I could find a plastic one with the right knurled I would probably use it but I will see what the metal ones turn out like
    cheers Marcus

42. Bengrim09

image.png image.jpeg
    Had these back so I thought I would clean them up a give them a coat of primer just to check the overall look
    the fork needs a little more tweaking
    the long key needs to be 4.5mm longer
    the small key is OK to get loads cut

Vycanthus likes this.
  43. Bengrim09

Just out of curiosity has anybody managed to scratch build any linkages and look screen accurate, not sure I'm going down the right direction trying to scratch build them but I'm a constant trier

44. Bengrim09

image.jpg
    I picked up some mesh a few months ago and was wondering if this looks right for behind the teeth
    image.jpg
    Last pic is of the original courtesy of Gladus63 from the Paris expo
    image.jpg
    image.png

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  45. Bengrim09

Also picked this up with being a plumber I see it all the time
    image.jpg

46. kurtyboy

Teeth mesh is too big there. You need the stuff for repairing dents in cars, very fine mesh.

Bengrim09 likes this.
  47. Bengrim09

Also got this
    image.jpg

48. Bengrim09

Got my top disc re cut to the correct size thanks to Kurtyboy for helpful information but still not happy with the inner holes another for the bin 3rd time lucky the holes haven't been equally spaced out and I'm thinking of trying 7 or 7.5mm holes instead of 6mm
    image.jpg

49. kurtyboy

Bengrim09 likes this.
  50. Bengrim09

Thanks Marcus your a star