Batsuit: Arkham Origins V2

Reznor9

Sr Member
It's been quite some time since my first Origins suit was completed. Due to last minute planning, zero experience in cosplay and my descision to enter the RPF costume contest I had roughly 30 days from start to finish before the deadline. Utilizing YouTube tutorials on foam cutting, shaping and painting techniques I set out on that mission along with the help and advice from other members on this site. In the course of the build I gained a lot of experience. But the build itself suffered from my lack of experience, lack of materials and lack of time. Because of that a lot of sacrifices were made... But in the end I was able to enter my costume into the contest and was surprised that out of all the amazing cosplays submitted, mine took first in the new members category(thanks to all that voted).

Maybe it's the perfectionist in me, but now looking back on the end result I am unsatisfied. So I've decided to build the costume a second time around this time utilizing everything I learned from the first build, as well as being free from the limitations of time. This time I want to build the suit as I originally envisioned, because if I don't try, it's probably going to bug me forever. Lol.

Ill do my my best to document the steps in case anyone else takes interest in making their own and needs some kind of visual assistance.

If anyon is interested in viewing the first build the thread can be found here:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=225936

- - - Updated - - -

First things first. Where to begin? This time around Ive decided to start on the gauntlets, so I've free-handed a new template. Printed it on card stock which divide into 6 layers of foam(3mm and 5mm)
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Batman: Arkham Origins Build - Version 2.0

Since im looking to create an embossed look around the borders using a thin 3mm foam, I decided to use super glue instead of hot glue. In my previous experience I found that the hot glue would warp the thin layer of foam and actually was quite messy since the coverage area of the border is small as well.
Ive finished cutting the layers and I've glued, heated and shaped the first gauntlet. In my opinion this version looks far better than my original design.
I'll post my current progress as I'm done for the day, but the gauntlet is still not complete however as I still need to add more details, the spikes and straps... as well as a plastidip and acrylic dry brushing.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

After this I was able to draw out and cut out a card stock template of the blades.
i then traced it onto some 3mm foam, beveled the edges with the dremel and attached them with super glue.
image.jpg

After this was complete I utilized the time I had to carve out the little sliding switch that appears atop the rear blade. Not sure what it's purpose is but it sure looks cool. :D Almost ready to plastidip this bad boy.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Looks awesome so far. And you're right about hot glue and thin foam...hasn't stopped me from using it, though, for some reason. I should maybe not do that.

How are you cutting the foam? It looks fantastically clean.

Looks awesome so far. And you're right about hot glue and thin foam...hasn't stopped me from using it, though, for some reason. I should maybe not do that.

How are you cutting the foam? It looks fantastically clean.

Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate it.

Yeah. After a couple frustrating experiences using hot glue and thin foam with my previous build I completely scrapped the use of thin foams. Upon venting my frustrations a user by the name of bigbat told me that he uses superglue in those situations and finds it cleaner and easier to control. I tried it again when I was constructing my boot covers and he was right. Hot glue has its uses for sure, but for the precision work you need to get some kind of superglue. Only thing with superglue is that the bond is pretty instantaneous. Hot glue allows you some play to slide things into position until it cools. Super glue doesn't give you that. You have about half a second to make any adjustments before the bond becomes permanent.

as for the cuts, Im simply using an xacto blade with a cheap self healing rotary board underneath.. Using my template to trace onto the foam in pen... Then lightly scoring with the blade, then do a once over with adequate pressure to complete the cuts. I used to try light pressured passes several times till I broke through but found it can create an uneven cut requiring the use of the dremel to smooth out. Which in some cases will make you lose the particular shape you traced out to begin with.

Only had a couple mins tonight to work on it. Carved out and added the sliding switch to the opposite side of the gauntlet and a little panel where the bolts will be attached. Threw on a light coat of plastidip. Came out nice. Almost done with the gauntlet. I'm pretty damn happy with the results. So much better and easier to construct than my old ones and much more accurate to the game model.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks for the kind words guys, I really appreciate it. I'm going to spend tonight probably making the left gauntlet. Now that I have all my templates made up I'm wondering how fast I can complete it. I'm guessing an hour. then I need to decide what's next. :D

Maybe it's the perfectionist in me, but now looking back on the end result I am unsatisfied. So I've decided to build the costume a second time around this time utilizing everything I learned from the first build, as well as being free from the limitations of time.

Yes! I understand entirely how you feel, and I wish more people would give a second go at cosplays they've already made. They turn out so much better the second time around. That being said your first one was excellent other then the cowl, you should make your own this time ;) . Talk about a painful learning experience.

Gauntlet looks great, looking forward to see what you do with the chest plating. I'm surprised you're using foam again, didn't you want to get into more durable materials? Or is that for v3?

Yes! I understand entirely how you feel, and I wish more people would give a second go at cosplays they've already made. They turn out so much better the second time around. That being said your first one was excellent other then the cowl, you should make your own this time ;) . Talk about a painful learning experience.

Gauntlet looks great, looking forward to see what you do with the chest plating. I'm surprised you're using foam again, didn't you want to get into more durable materials? Or is that for v3?

I would love to use more durable materials. I just want to fine tune my skills first before I make the jump. I've been researching pepakura and fiberglass techniques as well as the use of thermoplastics such as worbla, creating sculpting clay models for urethane molds as well as sintra like you suggested. But I don't know if I'm ready to take them on at this point and time as my current toolset is very limited as well as my available funds. I do hope to graduate to the level of expertise in those fields as you and many others have as your quite literally an inspiration to me. But after this build I plan on two more foam builds (a Origins Deathstroke for my 9 year old boy and a Dead Space rig for my 6 yr old son). Upon completion of those I really wish to dive into unfamiliar territory and expand my skill set.

Last edited:

Nothing really new to add. All I did today was complete the second gauntlet. Tomorrow need to figure out what I should work on next. In the meantime for those interested or bored, Ill just share some more images of the completed gauntlet. Picked up a set of cheap gloves at Lowes and the bicep armor in the pics comes from my Ver 1.0 Origins suit.
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

I only had Velcro holding this thing in place but decided to redo the underside to round it out and add a little bulkiness to it. Might add an extra 3mm foam strap to overlay on top of the two existing ones in order to hide the Velcro... But I dunno. Cause it's not really noticeable in person.
. image.jpg

Looking good mine seems to be in a constant state of upgrade too. The cowl though is what makes or breaks it

Looks great. I am getting close to being done with mine. I may go back and redo my gauntlets. Love yours. Can not wait to see the final product.

Looking good mine seems to be in a constant state of upgrade too. The cowl though is what makes or breaks it
Looking good man. Saw some pics of your batsuit in ringdeacons thread.. What parts are you upgrading at the moment?

Looks great. I am getting close to being done with mine. I may go back and redo my gauntlets. Love yours. Can not wait to see the final product.
Thanks man. I like yours too. In fact when I first started my first origins suit I was doing it just like you were. But as the project went on, I kept adding to it. So keep upgrading yours and you'll be amazed at how far you can go with it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back