Batsuit: Arkham Origins V2

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Reznor9, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

It's been quite some time since my first Origins suit was completed. Due to last minute planning, zero experience in cosplay and my descision to enter the RPF costume contest I had roughly 30 days from start to finish before the deadline. Utilizing YouTube tutorials on foam cutting, shaping and painting techniques I set out on that mission along with the help and advice from other members on this site. In the course of the build I gained a lot of experience. But the build itself suffered from my lack of experience, lack of materials and lack of time. Because of that a lot of sacrifices were made... But in the end I was able to enter my costume into the contest and was surprised that out of all the amazing cosplays submitted, mine took first in the new members category(thanks to all that voted).

Maybe it's the perfectionist in me, but now looking back on the end result I am unsatisfied. So I've decided to build the costume a second time around this time utilizing everything I learned from the first build, as well as being free from the limitations of time. This time I want to build the suit as I originally envisioned, because if I don't try, it's probably going to bug me forever. Lol.

Ill do my my best to document the steps in case anyone else takes interest in making their own and needs some kind of visual assistance.

If anyon is interested in viewing the first build the thread can be found here:
    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=225936

- - - Updated - - -

First things first. Where to begin? This time around Ive decided to start on the gauntlets, so I've free-handed a new template. Printed it on card stock which divide into 6 layers of foam(3mm and 5mm)
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Re: Batman: Arkham Origins Build - Version 2.0

Since im looking to create an embossed look around the borders using a thin 3mm foam, I decided to use super glue instead of hot glue. In my previous experience I found that the hot glue would warp the thin layer of foam and actually was quite messy since the coverage area of the border is small as well.
    Ive finished cutting the layers and I've glued, heated and shaped the first gauntlet. In my opinion this version looks far better than my original design.
    I'll post my current progress as I'm done for the day, but the gauntlet is still not complete however as I still need to add more details, the spikes and straps... as well as a plastidip and acrylic dry brushing.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

After this I was able to draw out and cut out a card stock template of the blades.
    i then traced it onto some 3mm foam, beveled the edges with the dremel and attached them with super glue.
    image.jpg

After this was complete I utilized the time I had to carve out the little sliding switch that appears atop the rear blade. Not sure what it's purpose is but it sure looks cool. :D Almost ready to plastidip this bad boy.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  3. dog of ulthar

dog of ulthar Member

Looks awesome so far. And you're right about hot glue and thin foam...hasn't stopped me from using it, though, for some reason. I should maybe not do that.

How are you cutting the foam? It looks fantastically clean.

Reznor9 likes this.
  4. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate it.

Yeah. After a couple frustrating experiences using hot glue and thin foam with my previous build I completely scrapped the use of thin foams. Upon venting my frustrations a user by the name of bigbat told me that he uses superglue in those situations and finds it cleaner and easier to control. I tried it again when I was constructing my boot covers and he was right. Hot glue has its uses for sure, but for the precision work you need to get some kind of superglue. Only thing with superglue is that the bond is pretty instantaneous. Hot glue allows you some play to slide things into position until it cools. Super glue doesn't give you that. You have about half a second to make any adjustments before the bond becomes permanent.

as for the cuts, Im simply using an xacto blade with a cheap self healing rotary board underneath.. Using my template to trace onto the foam in pen... Then lightly scoring with the blade, then do a once over with adequate pressure to complete the cuts. I used to try light pressured passes several times till I broke through but found it can create an uneven cut requiring the use of the dremel to smooth out. Which in some cases will make you lose the particular shape you traced out to begin with.

5. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Only had a couple mins tonight to work on it. Carved out and added the sliding switch to the opposite side of the gauntlet and a little panel where the bolts will be attached. Threw on a light coat of plastidip. Came out nice. Almost done with the gauntlet. I'm pretty * happy with the results. So much better and easier to construct than my old ones and much more accurate to the game model.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    Jamie Ridder likes this.
  6. rclmzn

rclmzn New Member

Looks great! Subscribed!

Reznor9 likes this.
  7. DeJaan13

DeJaan13 Active Member

At least you will have time to build the suit. this=Awesomeness.

Reznor9 likes this.
  8. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Thanks for the kind words guys, I really appreciate it. I'm going to spend tonight probably making the left gauntlet. Now that I have all my templates made up I'm wondering how fast I can complete it. I'm guessing an hour. then I need to decide what's next. :D

Juicebox likes this.
  9. RINZLERTRON

RINZLERTRON Sr Member

Man those gauntlets look pretty!
    Well done my friend.

Reznor9 likes this.
  10. Armatus Cosplay

Armatus Cosplay Well-Known Member

Yes! I understand entirely how you feel, and I wish more people would give a second go at cosplays they've already made. They turn out so much better the second time around. That being said your first one was excellent other then the cowl, you should make your own this time ;) . Talk about a painful learning experience.

Gauntlet looks great, looking forward to see what you do with the chest plating. I'm surprised you're using foam again, didn't you want to get into more durable materials? Or is that for v3?

Reznor9 likes this.
  11. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

I would love to use more durable materials. I just want to fine tune my skills first before I make the jump. I've been researching pepakura and fiberglass techniques as well as the use of thermoplastics such as worbla, creating sculpting clay models for urethane molds as well as sintra like you suggested. But I don't know if I'm ready to take them on at this point and time as my current toolset is very limited as well as my available funds. I do hope to graduate to the level of expertise in those fields as you and many others have as your quite literally an inspiration to me. But after this build I plan on two more foam builds (a Origins Deathstroke for my 9 year old boy and a Dead Space rig for my 6 yr old son). Upon completion of those I really wish to dive into unfamiliar territory and expand my skill set.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  12. iDReamer

iDReamer Member

clean gauntlet!

Reznor9 likes this.
  13. Luis Rodriguez

Luis Rodriguez Active Member

Good work man ! i'm sure the entire build it's going to be great !

14. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Nothing really new to add. All I did today was complete the second gauntlet. Tomorrow need to figure out what I should work on next. In the meantime for those interested or bored, Ill just share some more images of the completed gauntlet. Picked up a set of cheap gloves at Lowes and the bicep armor in the pics comes from my Ver 1.0 Origins suit.
    image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  15. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

I only had Velcro holding this thing in place but decided to redo the underside to round it out and add a little bulkiness to it. Might add an extra 3mm foam strap to overlay on top of the two existing ones in order to hide the Velcro... But I dunno. Cause it's not really noticeable in person.
    . image.jpg

16. PhantomEvoX

PhantomEvoX Member

Looking good mine seems to be in a constant state of upgrade too. The cowl though is what makes or breaks it

17. RingDeacon

RingDeacon New Member

Looks great. I am getting close to being done with mine. I may go back and redo my gauntlets. Love yours. Can not wait to see the final product.

18. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Looking good man. Saw some pics of your batsuit in ringdeacons thread.. What parts are you upgrading at the moment?

Thanks man. I like yours too. In fact when I first started my first origins suit I was doing it just like you were. But as the project went on, I kept adding to it. So keep upgrading yours and you'll be amazed at how far you can go with it.

19. dog of ulthar

dog of ulthar Member

This is only tangentially relevant but tiny Dead Space child I NEED TO SEE THIS

Reznor9 likes this.
  20. RiotJavelinDX

RiotJavelinDX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Extremely clean, looks good

21. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Lol. I can't wait for this either. He is so in love with that game.

Thank you. :D

22. PhantomEvoX

PhantomEvoX Member

I re did the ab armor in thinner foam and wrapped them individually instead of one big piece of fabric. I have enough fabric to redo everything

23. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Sounds like a plan. I had some requests by some people to make them gauntlets so I'm currently looking back to it and thinking to improve the way the gauntlets lock on as I don't like the current setup because the Velcro is visable. Now It's easy to make them custom fit for myself and look seamless but I'm trying to incorporate a one size fits all aspect. I think I found a way by replacing the black strip of EVA foam I was using with black 1.5 inch heavy starch waistband elastic. Going to tear up one of my beautiful gauntlets tonight so I can try it. :'(

I'm quite curious if the elastic will have a strong enough bond to the foam or if it will tear away easily when tension is applied.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  24. vaderjeff1744

vaderjeff1744 Well-Known Member

Glad to see you back at it! Gauntlets look GREAT! Looking forward to seeing more! Subscribed!

25. PhantomEvoX

PhantomEvoX Member

what if you used neodymium magnets instead of Velcro? You can hide them under the foam and it should be strong enough to hold them on

26. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Magnets are great alternative to velcro and a clean solution when you have an exact fit in mind. But for the adjustability I'm looking for I'm thinking I'll try the route of elastic. Was going to try it last night but fell asleep early. Will have to wait till later today.

27. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Haven't abandoned his project. Having to move this week so I'll be taking a few days to do that before jumping back into this. If all goes well I can get started again by Wednesday.

28. SMP Designs

SMP Designs Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice! Subbed and looking forward to more.

Reznor9 likes this.
  29. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Not much done since the move. Been unpacking at my new place. I did manage to add some weathering to the gauntlets however. Nothing major. But figured I'd keep the thread alive and get back to it in a couple days.
    image.jpg

30. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Hey guys. Small update... I've built a duct tape dummy to help me with the build of my Origins V2 suit. For now it's displaying my V1 build, but as I go I will be replacing the armor piece by piece. So far only the gauntlets have been revamped. I figured this would be a fun way to display my progress and a better way to store my armor than thrown in a closet.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Archer21 and oswaldthegreat like this.
  31. SynnDragon

SynnDragon New Member

I has two questions. One, is your hip/thigh armor just pieces on top of other pieces of foam? Also, what is your duct tape dummy filled with? I was thinking about using the spray expanding foam stuff but I dunno.

32. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Yes. The upper leg armor is one foam base layered with additional layers of foam for added bulk.

The duct tape dummy is stuffed with old clothes that I was getting ready to give to good will and a couple grocery bags where I needed just a little bit more filler.

33. PhantomEvoX

PhantomEvoX Member

Looks cool like that. I've started what I'm gonna call batsuit version 2.0 but im not gonna make a thread till its done. image.jpg But here's a teaser of the direction it's going

34. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Looks sweet! love the carbon fiber look. Looking forward to seeing that when it's done.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks sweet! love the carbon fiber look. Looking forward to seeing that when it's done.

35. PhantomEvoX

PhantomEvoX Member

I'm making it out of real carbon fiber I haven't seen it done yet

Attached Files:

36. PhantomEvoX

PhantomEvoX Member

Resin was still settling Iin the pic. It's a timely process but should be cool when it's done

37. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Looks great! What you putting the carbon fiber over?

38. PhantomEvoX

PhantomEvoX Member

Eva foam

39. Durkness

Durkness Well-Known Member

Looks like I am totally borrowing all your ideas...... dont let them share your stuff with those ebooks..... this stuff looks awesome.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

40. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

thanks man. I just took a look at some of your completed builds. The guyver is insanely awesome!

Durkness likes this.
  41. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Was looking at my 2.0 gauntlets and made a 2.1 revision to add some detail to the front face plate. Then while at work I decided I want to revise it again... I wanted the gauntlets to pull all the way up to the elbow.. So they went from 11" to 13"... Then I decided that I wanted to add some armor that goes past the wrist and towards the knuckles.. So they went from 13" to 15"... So this is the latest draft of my new gauntlet template next to my last revision. Can't wait to build these ones. Hopefully they look as cool as I picture them in my head.
    image.jpg
    Actually still need to tweak the design a little bit. Keep the length as a whole but need shorten and widen certain parts within the design. Hopefully one more revision is all that's required.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  42. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Been taking an unexpected break from this project to work on other things. But in the meantime I have been playing with new templates and techniques and have been looking into other materials like pvc foam board as you had suggested to me before. I'm hoping to experiment with sintra and if all goes well I should be developing both a foam and sintra origins suit. Basically using the foam version as a template. Going to check some plastic manufacturers in my area tomorrow to see if I can get some locally. Then I'll follow my previous path and see about building me a sintra version of the gauntlets.

43. OuterHeavenBoss

OuterHeavenBoss New Member

What made you decide on carbon fiber though, besides it not having been done yet? It's not tough to get a hold of?

44. PhantomEvoX

PhantomEvoX Member

Because it will be a fun learning process. And should look pretty cool when it's done.

45. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Working on a commission I have for a set of gauntlets and decided to update my design further. Making some refinements, smoothing out some of the sharp angles and added a 2 1/2" hand guard to the front. I'm really liking this build, hopefully I can settle on this and push myself to move on. But i hate moving forward when I finish something and get that feeling that it could have been better..
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    RacerMachX likes this.
  46. Solefreak88

Solefreak88 Active Member

When and how much will you commission the chest piece? Gauntlets look dope man.

47. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

thanks man. Sent you a PM

48. Bigbat23

Bigbat23 Well-Known Member

New gauntlets look great man! Thinking I may have to redo mine now. Lol

49. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Thanks Floyd. Your foam work has been an inspiration to me throughout my builds so it good to hear you approve.
    Im just hoping I don't get the urge to tweak it anymore because I've pretty much spent all of April making little revisions to my original gauntlets. I think these might be my 6th or 7th version and I'm so ready to move on. Lol

actually I think I have one more edit to make before I draw the template up on the computer for the final time.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  50. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Just about done with this set. Trying something new with the fins. I usually make them identical in size and shape but made these get gradually larger.

[​IMG][​IMG]

villez3 likes this.