Batman V Superman - Wonder Woman Costume (WIP)

Methyl Ethyl

Hi everyone! My name is Morgan and I'm a new member. I always find myself browsing this site, so I decided to finally quit being an outsider and actually join in the fun. :) I've recently been working on recreating Wonder Woman's costume from "Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice." There aren't many images released of the costume as of yet, but the reference pictures I am using are as follows:

y74HKHY.jpg11015238_10206982117576547_5461554500633451687_n.jpgwonder-woman (2).jpg

I started on the corset first. I decided to make the body portion of it from EVA foam:

photo 1 (11).JPG

I made the the golden eagle breastplate from Worbla. This was my first time using the material. When working with it, I make my base shape from EVA foam, and using a heat gun I then sandwich said shape with Worbla, trim the excess, and sharpen the foam details beneath with heat and sculpting tools:

photo 2 (10).JPG

I then primed the foam body with Plasti Dip, painted and contoured it with burgundy spray coating for vinyl and acrylic black paint, sealed it with a layer of Mod Podge and two layers of Pledge floor care, and added light battle damaging/scratching with white acrylic paint. I primed the breast plate with 5 layers of wood glue (sanding between each layer) and sprayed it with a sandable filler/primer and sanded it once more before painting and contouring it with acrylic spray and liquid paints. I sealed the breastplate with an aerosol acrylic clear coat. I set grommets into leather panels and glued the panels to the underside of the corset in the back via contact cement for the lacing closure. This is the result:

11181897_1573027749638327_9219330329129703141_n.jpg11210475_1573029419638160_6442510515012868482_n.jpg

Here I am wearing it, along with the belt (not painted yet) and the skirt I made from navy croc vinyl:

11182203_1573349966272772_8236204371032597956_n.jpg

The other pieces I have finished are the tiara:

photo 2 (11).JPG11110304_1569542543320181_3111783024087066990_n.jpg

and the sword. The grip will be wrapped in leather:

11027493_1569542623320173_1341876041879861755_n.jpg

The tiara and sword were made from Worbla and primed/painted using the same method described above for the breastplate. The sword is the only Worbla piece whose base is not made entirely from EVA foam. The base of the sword's blade was made from pink insulation foam board (extruded polystyrene) that was cut and sanded to shape using a knife, sandpaper and a Dremel. The hilt base was made from PVC pipe/fittings and EVA foam.

The pieces I have formed but haven't primed/painted yet are as follows:

photo 1 (15).JPGphoto 3 (6).JPGphoto 4 (4).JPGphoto (11).JPG1484700_931069170246433_2258860014372981262_n.jpg

The leg armor and bracers will be attached via leather straps/snaps. When I bend my knees, the leg armor bends along with them due to the way the plating is assembled.
The sheath will have leather trim at the top and will be incorporated into the leather utility belt and worn on my back. There is no image released of the costume's backside so this portion (along with the corset closure) is my personal design/interpretation.
Also, I started making this costume before the images with the cape and shield were released, so I will probably stick to the sword only (Gal Gadot image) for now. If I have time I would like to make the shield but that seems unlikely. I have two weeks to finish the project before I plan to debut it at Comicpalooza in Houston.

If you'd like to follow my project, I made a cosplay Facebook page two weeks ago where I post progress pictures: https://www.facebook.com/methylethylcosplay

As I said, this is my first Worbla project, so any advice or critiques are very much appreciated! ^_^
Happy crafting everyone!

Last edited:
Your attachments don't appear to be working. At least they aren't for me. Your facebook link works fine though, beautiful work I really like that shade of red. I like your cyberwoman too.

Yes, I don't know what happened. They worked fine when I previewed the thread before submission, and they are viewable when I click edit.... I am trying to delete the thread and try again but I'm not finding how to do that either. /=

Anyway, thank you very much! I'm glad you like my work!

Fantastic jon! What is your process for painting the metal peices?

Thank you! I begin painting after the Worbla has been primed with wood glue and a sandable filler/primer. First I spray the piece with a few light coats of black acrylic spray paint (just enough to fully blacken it). Then I spray the piece with several light coats of a metallic acrylic spray paint. I used bronze metallic for the tiara/breastplate and silver metallic for the sword. Once it's dry I weather the piece with black acrylic liquid paint by watering it down a bit and brushing it on the piece, then patting it off with a cloth or paper towel. I then contour it by painting and blending in black paint along the edges of the details. For the tiara/breastplate I also added in some highlighting with a light gold liquid acrylic paint, blending it in central areas and pulling it out towards the edges to make a subtle color gradient. When the painting is finished, I seal the pieces with an aerosol acrylic clear coat.

Last edited:
Holy crap nice work!!! I want to get life-size set of all three of these guys for my display, will be keeping an eye on your thread for sure!

Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate the positive feedback and warm welcomes! Rusty85, that would be friggin amazing.

Update:

I have been working on snaps/straps for the leg armor and bracers this weekend.

photo (14).JPGphoto (12).JPG

I set the snap studs into small squares of Worbla and attached them to the armor using a heat gun and sculpting tools. The snap sockets are set into leather strips cut to size to make the straps.
The leg/shoe armor has 16 straps and 24 snaps in all (including both legs).
The two bracers have 10 snaps and 4 straps in all.
I also incorporated a small hinge on the backside of each bracer. This helps a lot with the functionality. It makes equipping them/removing them simpler, it keeps the two halves of the bracers aligned correctly and it makes them each a single armor piece, as opposed to two separate pieces per arm.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back