Batman V Superman - Wonder Woman Costume (WIP)

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Methyl Ethyl, May 8, 2015.

1. Methyl Ethyl

Methyl Ethyl New Member

Hi everyone! My name is Morgan and I'm a new member. I always find myself browsing this site, so I decided to finally quit being an outsider and actually join in the fun. :) I've recently been working on recreating Wonder Woman's costume from "Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice." There aren't many images released of the costume as of yet, but the reference pictures I am using are as follows:

y74HKHY.jpg 11015238_10206982117576547_5461554500633451687_n.jpg wonder-woman (2).jpg

I started on the corset first. I decided to make the body portion of it from EVA foam:

photo 1 (11).JPG

I made the the golden eagle breastplate from Worbla. This was my first time using the material. When working with it, I make my base shape from EVA foam, and using a heat gun I then sandwich said shape with Worbla, trim the excess, and sharpen the foam details beneath with heat and sculpting tools:

photo 2 (10).JPG

I then primed the foam body with Plasti Dip, painted and contoured it with burgundy spray coating for vinyl and acrylic black paint, sealed it with a layer of Mod Podge and two layers of Pledge floor care, and added light battle damaging/scratching with white acrylic paint. I primed the breast plate with 5 layers of wood glue (sanding between each layer) and sprayed it with a sandable filler/primer and sanded it once more before painting and contouring it with acrylic spray and liquid paints. I sealed the breastplate with an aerosol acrylic clear coat. I set grommets into leather panels and glued the panels to the underside of the corset in the back via contact cement for the lacing closure. This is the result:

11181897_1573027749638327_9219330329129703141_n.jpg 11210475_1573029419638160_6442510515012868482_n.jpg

Here I am wearing it, along with the belt (not painted yet) and the skirt I made from navy croc vinyl:

11182203_1573349966272772_8236204371032597956_n.jpg

The other pieces I have finished are the tiara:

photo 2 (11).JPG 11110304_1569542543320181_3111783024087066990_n.jpg

and the sword. The grip will be wrapped in leather:

11027493_1569542623320173_1341876041879861755_n.jpg

The tiara and sword were made from Worbla and primed/painted using the same method described above for the breastplate. The sword is the only Worbla piece whose base is not made entirely from EVA foam. The base of the sword's blade was made from pink insulation foam board (extruded polystyrene) that was cut and sanded to shape using a knife, sandpaper and a Dremel. The hilt base was made from PVC pipe/fittings and EVA foam.

The pieces I have formed but haven't primed/painted yet are as follows:

photo 1 (15).JPG photo 3 (6).JPG photo 4 (4).JPG photo (11).JPG 1484700_931069170246433_2258860014372981262_n.jpg

The leg armor and bracers will be attached via leather straps/snaps. When I bend my knees, the leg armor bends along with them due to the way the plating is assembled.
    The sheath will have leather trim at the top and will be incorporated into the leather utility belt and worn on my back. There is no image released of the costume's backside so this portion (along with the corset closure) is my personal design/interpretation.
    Also, I started making this costume before the images with the cape and shield were released, so I will probably stick to the sword only (Gal Gadot image) for now. If I have time I would like to make the shield but that seems unlikely. I have two weeks to finish the project before I plan to debut it at Comicpalooza in Houston.

If you'd like to follow my project, I made a cosplay Facebook page two weeks ago where I post progress pictures: https://www.facebook.com/methylethylcosplay

As I said, this is my first Worbla project, so any advice or critiques are very much appreciated! ^_^
    Happy crafting everyone!

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. Hazmat

Hazmat Well-Known Member

Your attachments don't appear to be working. At least they aren't for me. Your facebook link works fine though, beautiful work I really like that shade of red. I like your cyberwoman too.

3. Methyl Ethyl

Methyl Ethyl New Member

Yes, I don't know what happened. They worked fine when I previewed the thread before submission, and they are viewable when I click edit.... I am trying to delete the thread and try again but I'm not finding how to do that either. /=

Anyway, thank you very much! I'm glad you like my work!

4. Methyl Ethyl

Methyl Ethyl New Member

Ah, figured it out! The image errors have been resolved.

5. mau5

mau5 Active Member

Fantastic jon! What is your process for painting the metal peices?

6. Rickhemingway

Rickhemingway Well-Known Member

This looks awesome! I think you are pretty much nailing this suit, great work!
    And welcome to the rpf :)

7. Bigbat23

Bigbat23 Well-Known Member

Wow! Welcome and AWESOME work!

8. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking great.

9. thuth

thuth Well-Known Member

That is really great. Thanks for sharing your hard work. I am sure this will inspire more builds.

10. Methyl Ethyl

Methyl Ethyl New Member

Thank you! I begin painting after the Worbla has been primed with wood glue and a sandable filler/primer. First I spray the piece with a few light coats of black acrylic spray paint (just enough to fully blacken it). Then I spray the piece with several light coats of a metallic acrylic spray paint. I used bronze metallic for the tiara/breastplate and silver metallic for the sword. Once it's dry I weather the piece with black acrylic liquid paint by watering it down a bit and brushing it on the piece, then patting it off with a cloth or paper towel. I then contour it by painting and blending in black paint along the edges of the details. For the tiara/breastplate I also added in some highlighting with a light gold liquid acrylic paint, blending it in central areas and pulling it out towards the edges to make a subtle color gradient. When the painting is finished, I seal the pieces with an aerosol acrylic clear coat.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  11. Methyl Ethyl

Methyl Ethyl New Member

Thanks so much! I'm happy to be here. :D

12. Methyl Ethyl

Methyl Ethyl New Member

Thank you!

Thank you! I'd be honored if it does.

13. Stocos28

Stocos28 Jr Member

First, welcome to the site, Morgan. Second, awesome job on this build so far!

14. gustimusprime

gustimusprime New Member

Looks awesome. great work

15. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Holy crap nice work!!! I want to get life-size set of all three of these guys for my display, will be keeping an eye on your thread for sure!

16. NOMAD202

NOMAD202 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

EXCELLENT WORK!!! I love seeing scratch-built builds.

17. George

George Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great work,Methyl :thumbsup and welcome to the RPF ;)

18. Methyl Ethyl

Methyl Ethyl New Member

Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate the positive feedback and warm welcomes! Rusty85, that would be friggin amazing.

Update:

I have been working on snaps/straps for the leg armor and bracers this weekend.

photo (14).JPG photo (12).JPG

I set the snap studs into small squares of Worbla and attached them to the armor using a heat gun and sculpting tools. The snap sockets are set into leather strips cut to size to make the straps.
    The leg/shoe armor has 16 straps and 24 snaps in all (including both legs).
    The two bracers have 10 snaps and 4 straps in all.
    I also incorporated a small hinge on the backside of each bracer. This helps a lot with the functionality. It makes equipping them/removing them simpler, it keeps the two halves of the bracers aligned correctly and it makes them each a single armor piece, as opposed to two separate pieces per arm.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Hazmat likes this.
  19. jimbob1986

jimbob1986 Member

This is looking great. I've never tried using Worbla before but it looks like really useful stuff.

20. Thumper1148

Thumper1148 New Member

This is just amazing. Super inspiring!

21. gundammrw

gundammrw New Member

Looking awesome so far! Very clean. I was just thinking to myself, "Wonder Woman was unveiled at Comic con...why hasn't anyone tried doing that version yet?"

22. Sporkey

Sporkey Well-Known Member

I'm still kind of torn on how I feel about the design, but you are doing a straight up amazing job at replicating it! I can't wait to see it all done!

23. Vox

Vox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm glad you stopped just lurking and signed up because this is great work! Good job replicating the fine details, it is really coming together beautifully.

24. Methyl Ethyl

Methyl Ethyl New Member

Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate it. ^_^
    @Jimbob1989 It really is. It's very tedious to prime and finish, but it's so easy to work with. I love it.

I've been priming, sanding and painting like a crazy person trying to get everything finished by Comicpalooza this weekend:

image.jpg

I have one portion finished so far to show for it. Below, the utility belt, sheath and rope are done (sword is not). The belt is composed of leather straps, rivets and magnets, and is attached to the sheath via D-rings. The sheath is finished Worbla with leather trim, and the rope was a white rope, bought by the foot at Lowes, that I spray painted gold:

image.jpg

Hopefully I'll have more finished pieces to post very soon! I have 2 days left to finish, so I'm
    feeling the pressure.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    stigmorgan likes this.
  25. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

This is awesome! The corset looks so cool, does it retain any flex or does all the sealer/glue make it more rigid? I really like the closures on the bracers, they look authentic (as authentic as a fictional race can look :p) and fit that gladiator/goddess aesthetic. Are you able to draw the sword from the back scabbard?

26. Tumbler

Tumbler Active Member

Impressive work. Your attention to detail is just amazing as is your ability to recreate it. Looking forward to seeing it all come together...looks like you are almost there.

27. Methyl Ethyl

Methyl Ethyl New Member

Fictional race? I assure you, we are alive and well my friend. ;)
    The corset does retain some flex but it is a bit restrictive. It's fine for walking and sitting but bending over isn't an easy task. The sword can be drawn but the design has her scabbard opening behind her left shoulder, although she holds her sword in her right hand and her shield on her left arm so she is clearly right-handed. Sword access would be much easier were the scabbard opening located behind her right shoulder. I'm interested to know why they designed it this way and to see how it plays out in the movie.

28. Methyl Ethyl

Methyl Ethyl New Member

Tumbler Thanks!

Update:

I have completed the leg armor. I was nervous about retaining proper alignment while keeping the flexibility at the joints once the plating was conjoined, but it worked out nicely. I can sit and walk with ease:

photo 1 (16).JPG

Here is a video where you can see the mobility in action: https://www.facebook.com/methylethylcosplay/videos/1581019318839170/?l=3568905435025889654

The other pieces are painted and ready as well. I've been finishing up last minute items today. For the hand wraps I bought black self-adhering elastic bandaging and spray painted it with a lighter brown color to get a dark brown wrap. I cut them to size, and voila. Super cheap and easy!:

11351325_1581052768835825_127485697061063358_n.jpg

I plan on debuting this tomorrow at Comicpalooza, so I should have some full body shots of the completed costume soon. Hopefully everything comes together well. Finger crossed!

photo 1 (16).JPG

11351325_1581052768835825_127485697061063358_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  29. stigmorgan

stigmorgan Sr Member

You've done a beautiful job with this, you will def get some attention/admiration

30. 13doctorwho

13doctorwho Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome work. I look forward to seeing the full costume pictures. I love your Cyberman costume (your icon). Always awesome to see Doctor Who in any form or fashion!!!

31. Methyl Ethyl

Methyl Ethyl New Member

Thanks guys!

Well I finally finished:

1795578_1581220725485696_1127231626003482112_n.jpg

I should have some better pictures to post soon, but here she is! The Batman V Superman version of Wonder Woman is complete. :D

32. DeJaan13

DeJaan13 Active Member

are you planning on making the shield for the suit?

33. Bigbat23

Bigbat23 Well-Known Member

Props to you! That turned out awesome!

34. Vox

Vox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Kick * craftsmanship on all parts. Wonderfully done, Methyl Ethyl! I'm sure more of these will be made through the masses as time progresses, but this is the first completed one I've seen and it is phenomenal!

35. Methyl Ethyl

Methyl Ethyl New Member

I would like to eventually. I am likely going to Dragon Con this year so I would like to do it by then, but I will be making a new costume to wear as well so it all depends on timing.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much you guys! :)

DeJaan13 and NOMAD202 like this.
  36. Thorlief Golmen

Thorlief Golmen Active Member

This is awesome!

37. Methyl Ethyl

Methyl Ethyl New Member

Thank you!

I have some nicer photos to share now. The following is a comparison pic:

BeFunky Collage 4.jpg

The picture on the above right was taken by Bryan Humphrey at Comicpalooza. I actually won a golden ticket to do a free photo shoot with him based on costume quality. That was super awesome because he is mega talented! These are a few of my faves from the shoot:

p1208949768-6.jpg p1208953511-6.jpg p1208958337-6.jpg

The following are a couple shots I found from local media coverage of Comicpalooza (left: Houston Press, right: KHOU):

Houston Press.jpg khou2.JPG

Below was shot by the incredible Ngo photography:

11128267_932748323412751_1829006766131426846_n.jpg

I was also very honored by winning best Super Hero/Comic costume at the Dallas Comic Con costume contest this weekend:

Stage Dallas.png 10156028_1584297441844691_7879815795117573228_n.jpg

And there you have it! I hope I didn't bombard you with too many result pictures. =P

If I do have time to make the shield before Dragon Con I'll be sure to update this.
    Thanks for watching my progress you guys! :)

38. stigmorgan

stigmorgan Sr Member

Awesomazing. Outstanding work and well deserved win

39. lordchammon

lordchammon Active Member

Incredible work! Congratulations!

40. Tumbler

Tumbler Active Member

Congratulations! The win is well deserved. The whole thing came together quite nicely. You look every bit the part too!

41. creative stress

creative stress Well-Known Member

Excellent costume lot of hard work gone into that you wear it well congrats on the win well deserved ☺

42. Stocos28

Stocos28 Jr Member

Wow, you really nailed it!!!

43. markseven

markseven Well-Known Member

Excellent! do you have a rear view of the belt and skirt?do you have a ref pic of the backside?

44. 13doctorwho

13doctorwho Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh my god that is awesome. It looks absolutely perfect. With the wig you are a very convincing Wonder Woman! Excellent work!

45. ckellyireland7

ckellyireland7 New Member

Wow! You did an amazing job. It's so accurate! Just excellent work.
    I'm just starting the research for my attempt at this costume, and I was curious if you have any suggestions for the bodice. I know you mentioned in a previous reply that it is quite hard to bend over in. Now that you've worn it do you have any changes you might suggest in terms of flexibility/comfort? Thanks so much!

46. IronArmy87

IronArmy87 New Member

Awesome skill:thumbsup

47. MattSimasArt

MattSimasArt New Member

This is one of the best DOJ Wonder Woman cosplays I've seen!! Fantastic work.

48. TAZNITBR

TAZNITBR Active Member

Congratz, awesome skills!!!
    I am finishing my Bat mech armor and then will begin the WW suit for my wife.
    Ty for posting .