Bandai release schedule

I got mine today :)

IMG_6631.JPG

IMG_6632.JPG

Dirk

So are most of you going to go the panel line shading route ? Or are they too small and packed together for that to work effectively at this scale ?

I think a thin wash with a color slightly darker than the base coat is how I plan to address the panel lines. Too dark and it will look busy. I also plan on picking out the odd panel here and there with a darker shade. Still haven't decided on a base coat yet.

Robert:)

If you are building the lighted version, be extra careful when painting the clear plastic. I put 4 coats on and even still there was too much light bleed coming through. I would recommend priming it before assembly so as it hit it from every angle and/or also painting both sides of it. I painted mine after assembly and the light bled through in areas not coated thick enough

Thanks for that. I decided that I am not going to use the clear parts and stick with the pre-formed holes already provided. The thought of multiple layers of paint after a priming layer on a Bandai kit is risking some fitting problems given how tightly engineered the no-glue needed Bandia kits are. Even adding a thin layer of primer could cause some potential problems getting pieces together properly, not to mention diminishing the finite details on the plastic.

The build videos demonstrate that for the scale - what Bandai provided in terms of pre-provided holes is enough to create the illusion necessary. I have seen on some finished build vids that light bleed you speak of but do not know if that is from the clear plastic parts or the opaque plastic. Seems on some that the light is at the seams pretty bright.

Thanks for that. I decided that I am not going to use the clear parts and stick with the pre-formed holes already provided. The thought of multiple layers of paint after a priming layer on a Bandai kit is risking some fitting problems given how tightly engineered the no-glue needed Bandia kits are. Even adding a thin layer of primer could cause some potential problems getting pieces together properly, not to mention diminishing the finite details on the plastic.

The build videos demonstrate that for the scale - what Bandai provided in terms of pre-provided holes is enough to create the illusion necessary. I have seen on some finished build vids that light bleed you speak of but do not know if that is from the clear plastic parts or the opaque plastic. Seems on some that the light is at the seams pretty bright.
Yep, I would agree that it is wise to avoid the clear plastic parts unless you have a good way to properly light block. The pre-drilled holes are quite good and are a good choice given the scale. There are some inaccuracies on the kit but those are mostly missing details that would be too small to mold.

One thing I found interesting is that the extra manual that comes with the lighting version, goes in great detail about using fiber optics to light the kit. I, for one, wouldn't want to mess with that for a kit this size. The included led set requires that you take the top of the kit off in order to turn off/on or change the batteries, so keep that in mind when painting.

After building it and painting it, the detail is excellent and the design is great but could benefit from additional light blocking at seams and in the areas closest to the LED bulbs. I feel like this would be one of their best kits if they had made it twice the size. I am also building a zvezda and detailing it with styrene. 6 months later and I am still not as close to the studio model as this kit is right out of the box.

I live in Asia and picked up 2 lighting and 2 non lighting kits on the day of release. I plan on doing another build of it soon but this time using the grey plastic instead of the clear. I also plan on doing additional light blocking at seams and possible glue some areas that get loosened easily.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your builds given that this is my favorite ship in the Star Wars saga, having seen it first zoom over my head in 1977 in a Cinemascope theater in 70 MM.

I noticed that there are discrepancies in detail that was likely due to the kit being too small. Notably the antennae atop the shield generator globes and some piping on the trenches and engine areas that I was able to add to the Zvezda. For a shelf display I have been very impressed with what I have seen out of the box for this kit, and given my experience with several Bandai SW kits I have built - this was expected to have attentions to detail that no other retail styrene kit has ever produced.

Since I am going to stick with the kit out of the box without customization excepting maybe addressing those two areas mentioned above, I look forward to seeing what others do to their builds with this kit.

Now that people are receiving their kits can someone post the full dimensions of the 1/5000 Star Destroyer? I've been wanting to find some accurate numbers for the length and width of the ship and of the ships bridge tower. If someone could get those for me I'd really appreciate it.

Do the limited edition Star Destroyer instructions explain what to do with the clear parts that will make them appear different than the standard edition parts?

Since I am going to stick with the kit out of the box without customization excepting maybe addressing those two areas mentioned above, I look forward to seeing what others do to their builds with this kit.

Considering the amount of effort you are putting into the Zvezda, I have a feeling you will keep adding to the list of customizations for the Bandai.

Considering the amount of effort you are putting into the Zvezda, I have a feeling you will keep adding to the list of customizations for the Bandai.

Well thanks, but I really do not want to invest the time on the Bandai kit with a lot of customizations given the level of 8-footer detail it already has engineered into the kit. I'm of the mind to get it built and displayed quickly, zoom it around the room while I marvel at the raised details. I still have many months of work left on the Zvezda which is at a scale I like better and in which I have already invested a couple of years.

The other plus in shifting gears to do the Bandai kit is going to be painting it and giving me some 'practice' in terms of how technique, trials and errors that I will apply in painting the Zvezda. I'm currently threading fiber in the upper hull and wedding cake section of the Zvezda having finished threading fiber and setting the LEDs in place in the bottom hull. The tedium in threading all that fiber is less like model building and more like needlepoint.

I do not want to repeat that with the Bandai. Not even a little bit.

Got mine today and I agree with the others - amount of details is just mindblowing, they're so intricate that I'm actually afraid of painting it. I'm also not really sure how should I feel about it's size - 30 cm isnt small in theory, but such small hull in such big box just doesnt feel right (got one with the leds). If they made it in 1/3500 scale, or 1/2700 like the zvezda, it would gain some "pesence factor" that is currently lacking.

I don't see why the LED version should cost so much more. Some clear parts and a box with LED leads coming out of it?
For this huge jack in price I want a Bluetooth controlled system with individual LED dimming control from my phone, not some cheap ass manual switch hidden in the neck.
I'd hate to see how much Bandai would charge for that. There you go after market guys. Go make this.

Now that people are receiving their kits can someone post the full dimensions of the 1/5000 Star Destroyer? I've been wanting to find some accurate numbers for the length and width of the ship and of the ships bridge tower. If someone could get those for me I'd really appreciate it.
Going in on Thursday to pick mine up, and, well what do you know? Michaels has a big sale on display cases. If anyone gets their assembly completed, would second a request for some overall dimensions of this including its stand!

I would say the hull is 12 5/8" long and 6 3/4" wide. Mine is currently unassembled, so I can't help you on the other dimensions.

Guys guys guys guys guys GUYS!!!!!!!

Amazon Spain, perfect grade bandai falcon, from €320something to €247!!!!! I have OBVIOUSLY bought it, along with the TFA 1/144 and I have literally no idea when am I gonna build them (certainly not this year) but, c'mon! The two of them for under €300!!

Check your amazon site just in case!!!! Specially the European users! (cause REVELL).

OMG I'm so excited!!!!!!! That's my christmas present right there!!!!!

I got my preorder notice from CultTVMan yesterday and it looks like I am going to get my lighted ISD kit early next week.
I am watching all involved threads here and elsewhere and pondering how I am going to proceed- there is a buildup on SSM which used the opaque parts instead of clear and it really looks good.
I expect Green Strawberry to try and issue a photoetch set for this model, I wonder what detail they might see it missing- every photo I see of this kit looks incredible.

If you are building the lighted version, be extra careful when painting the clear plastic. I put 4 coats on and even still there was too much light bleed coming through. I would recommend priming it before assembly so as it hit it from every angle and/or also painting both sides of it. I painted mine after assembly and the light bled through in areas not coated thick enough

Maybe internally light-blocking with a coat (or two) or black on the interior (unless I missed someone mentioning this is an early post)?

This kit will definitely be added to my stash but since I'll be doing some travelling soon, my order won't be placed until at least another month or so. Still have plenty to do on the Zvezda, am ordering Ant's lighting kit for the little Blockade Runner and am awaiting order confirmation on the big PG Falcon. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back