Bandai release schedule

Looks like the lit version is going for about $200 or more on amazon now. I have to think more will be stocked and prices will eventually fall--otherwise Bandai is basically throwing money away if there's truly such demand for this kit and they only wind up making a handful of them.

If you look around, you can find it much cheaper.

Looks like the lit version is going for about $200 or more on amazon now. I have to think more will be stocked and prices will eventually fall--otherwise Bandai is basically throwing money away if there's truly such demand for this kit and they only wind up making a handful of them.

Sometimes Bandai's limited editions are truly limited and they only make available the limited number in the first production run. The real bummer is that you cannot buy the lighting kits and all the diffusers needed for the non-lit version from Bandai separately. You will have to simply custom light it yourself with fiber and LEDs bought separately with the standard kit.

I think the unlit standard version is the kit that Bandai will mass produce and have available for awhile. However, there are still PG Falcons out there with the decals and photo etch that is not in the standard kits and maybe the same deal will happen with the Destroyers.

The real bummer is that you cannot buy the lighting kits and all the diffusers needed for the non-lit version from Bandai separately. You will have to simply custom light it yourself with fiber and LEDs bought separately with the standard kit.
The lighting kit is too overpriced anyway. You could light this kit DIY for $10. No need for fiber, just place some milk jug plastic behind the holes for diffusion and let the light shine through.

The lighting kit is too overpriced anyway. You could light this kit DIY for $10. No need for fiber, just place some milk jug plastic behind the holes for diffusion and let the light shine through.

Well, easier said than done. Bandai kits are engineered with incredibly tight tolerances so you do not have to use glue at all. Custom cutting diffusers to place in the kit to get light without fiber will be a personal engineering project.

Personally, since I have invested so much time in the Zvezda build - I really did not want to spend any more than an out-of-the-box build and paint with this kit given the details and accuracy of their other Star Wars kits.

Well, easier said than done. Bandai kits are engineered with incredibly tight tolerances so you do not have to use glue at all. Custom cutting diffusers to place in the kit to get light without fiber will be a personal engineering project.

Personally, since I have invested so much time in the Zvezda build - I really did not want to spend any more than an out-of-the-box build and paint with this kit given the details and accuracy of their other Star Wars kits.

Exactly. Not only that but the look FO give to a finished model is only topped by well engineered kit designed specifically for the model, specially knowing how well engineered Bandai kits are. Throwing some LEDS and diffusers (if they even fit) and hoping the light will shine through will simply not cut it for me either. FO may be a hassle but in the end the look they give is not easily equaled by cheap shortcuts. I recently used LEDS and FOs to detail the inside of my RC Sandcrawler and loved the end result.

Not to mention how inconsequential they are, because in the new canon last order from Palpatine was "take all of the imperial fleet and make kamikaze attack n rebel fleet" because he didnt want to empire outlive him (thus battle of jakku, destruction of the empire and rise of the first order with it's own capital ships designs). So it makes no damn sense in this continuity. I also wouldnt be suprised if that's just another lazy rehash from EU (lost Katana fleet from thrawn trilogy)
I think you need to go back and re-read a bit. Shattered Empire and the Aftermath trilogy, specifically. Palpatine had a Contingency plan, but it wasn't what you describe. He ordered the scouring of Naboo, which Leia thwarted, and the defense of Jakku to get the seeds of the First Order sent off wasn't a kamikaze -- just that that priority superseded the survival of any of the ships there. There were already hints throughout that assets had already been put in place out in the Unknown Regions decades before. Nothing at all about not wanting the Empire to outlive him. Political chess. Let his opponents think they've won while his pieces continue moving where they can't see.

Part 1 of schizophonic9's build of the lighted SD:

It would be nice to get a hold of those random Azteking masks.

Gundam USA is in Daytona Beach, FL. I am Nervous for my SD order, but obviously more Nervous for the well-being of the owner and employees. Good luck...they are in my/our thoughts....

b4ad6cec6e7b60058e91818294047370a56e7e93fc33674f8300e6ab94623de9.png

Dang, robn1! Just last night I was working on my 1/350 refit -- where I've filled and re-drilled all the window holes to a smaller 1.5mm diameter and filled them with clear resin -- and was thinking to myself, "How in the name of hell am I going to mask all these windows now that they're a smaller diameter?" And lo and behold your link has a 1.5mm circle mask sheet! You weren't even trying, but thanks for the assist! :D

I think you need to go back and re-read a bit. Shattered Empire and the Aftermath trilogy, specifically. Palpatine had a Contingency plan, but it wasn't what you describe. He ordered the scouring of Naboo, which Leia thwarted, and the defense of Jakku to get the seeds of the First Order sent off wasn't a kamikaze -- just that that priority superseded the survival of any of the ships there. There were already hints throughout that assets had already been put in place out in the Unknown Regions decades before. Nothing at all about not wanting the Empire to outlive him. Political chess. Let his opponents think they've won while his pieces continue moving where they can't see.
I compressed it a bit, but it's still nonsensical. Fleet of such magnitude as seen in the trailer should be put in use way back during the war, not be hidden force-knows-where because emperor might die someday. Also, this "briliant" plan wouldnt work if emperor would meet his fate not 4, but 40 years after battle of Yavin, bacause all those ISD would be obsolete after that long time. Also, if that fleet was intended to be "seed for FO", why it wasn't used when FO was formed?
Also, let me quote wookiepedia - "If an Empire cannot protect its Emperor then that Empire must be deemed a failure. It collapses not only because its central figure is gone, but because it must not be allowed to remain!". So yes, it was a kamikaze attack, because he wanted to punish both republic and empire remnants (at least, from a certain point of view *wink wink nudge nudge*). But whatever interpretation you'd take, there's logical loophole in all of that - palpatine was the type of guy who wanted to rule eternally by himself and wasnt that interested in having successor (Vader, Luke, they were only intended to be his powerfull tools) thus intention to kill both republic and empire for their "sins" in case of his death, yet he is still planning to make newer, better empire for some unspecified successor, using same old people who had failed him in the past. Also, your interpretation would require at least some planning on the disney side, when it's quite clear that they never had any real plan for events in that trilogy. They even fired author of the Aftermath already.

To be quite honest the only exposure I had to the EU pre-reboot was the first KOTOR so I don't really care that much about Legends stuff.

That being said, the Ebon Hawk is something I'd like to see brought back to canon so Bandai can have an excuse to make a 1/144.

I compressed it a bit, but it's still nonsensical.

It's STAR WARS. It's a FANTASY. It's nonsensical to have sound and explosions in space, along with ridiculously-sized ships that are slower in space than smaller ships with smaller engines.

If you are a true Star Wars fan - you accept the nonsensical for what it is and hope that Bandai makes a kit of it.

Fleet of such magnitude as seen in the trailer should be put in use way back during the war, not be hidden force-knows-where because emperor might die someday.

I guess you forgot that powerful Force users can forsee the future, even if it is always in motion. Palpy knew Luke was going to Vader to try to redeem him. He just did not accurately see the outcome - or - maybe we find out in IX that he did - and all of this was what he intended. Who knows for sure?

Also, if that fleet was intended to be "seed for FO", why it wasn't used when FO was formed?

The FO may simply have been prep for what Palpy intended to do once his Grand Plan with Rey reached it's fulfillment point. Did you forget that he set up the Separatist Confederacy simply to prime the galaxy for what the Republic would be turned into using their own military? Also- apparently those Destroyers are equipped with shooty cannons ala the Lancer from the bay of the Venator class Destroyer in Sith that are upgraded with bunker busting Death Star tech of some kind.

Also, let me quote wookiepedia - "If an Empire cannot protect its Emperor then that Empire must be deemed a failure. It collapses not only because its central figure is gone, but because it must not be allowed to remain!".

A trait employed by most despots like Hitler and Pol Pot that would work to destroy their own nation and people for 'failing' and not being worthy enough of their genius and benevolence.

Palpatine was the type of guy who wanted to rule eternally by himself and wasnt that interested in having successor (Vader, Luke, they were only intended to be his powerfull tools)

Unless we find out that they were intended to be vessels for him to live in forever. That may be the whole reason he created Anakin to begin with. Rey may be Phase II of what he was attempting to accomplish. Vader may have been made a tool because he no longer was a perfect vessel for Palpatine to live in. Palatine may have decided to turn Sith Rule of Two into reverse - and instead of the Apprentice killing the Lord and taking over - the Lord inhabits the body of the apprentice and 'cheats death'.

Of course Bandai cannot make a kit of those attributes - so while we speculate as to why the thousands of destroyers that make no tactical sense in the story - we hope we get a niceBandai model kit of this Imperial I-Class B - Devastator with super laser.

It's STAR WARS. It's a FANTASY. It's nonsensical to have sound and explosions in space, along with ridiculously-sized ships that are slower in space than smaller ships with smaller engines.

If you are a true Star Wars fan - you accept the nonsensical for what it is and hope that Bandai makes a kit of it.
I am a fan. Just not a fanboy. I dont feel like I must love everything just because it has SW logo on it.

Old EU is a great example. For the most part, it's garbage, but I like few good stories that came from it. And I dont feel like I'm some worse breed of a fan just because I'm more critical about things I love. It's like rising a children, you just cant prise it for everything it does and shut your eyes when it bevahes like a brat, because things just get worse.

Also, there's something like "internal logic" and "suspension of disbelief". Movie doesnt need to be realistic to be believable and enjoyabe, it only needs to keep its internal logic tight. Sequels are good example how to throw logic out of the window and ruin the suspension - let's just mention how Snoke SSD was destroyed or how you can see almost whole upper half of second death star in Rise of Skywalker trailer, desipte seeing it turned into space dust in RotJ.

I guess you forgot that powerful Force users can forsee the future, even if it is always in motion. Palpy knew Luke was going to Vader to try to redeem him. He just did not accurately see the outcome - or - maybe we find out in IX that he did - and all of this was what he intended. Who knows for sure?
that's just guessing for now. Also, that would cheapen Anakin redemption.

The FO may simply have been prep for what Palpy intended to do once his Grand Plan with Rey reached it's fulfillment point. Did you forget that he set up the Separatist Confederacy simply to prime the galaxy for what the Republic would be turned into using their own military? Also- apparently those Destroyers are equipped with shooty cannons ala the Lancer from the bay of the Venator class Destroyer in Sith that are upgraded with bunker busting Death Star tech of some kind.
If he had such powerfull ships at his disposal, then why he didnt use them during civil war? Once again, lack of internal logic.

A trait employed by most despots like Hitler and Pol Pot that would work to destroy their own nation and people for 'failing' and not being worthy enough of their genius and benevolence.
yeah, that quote is straight pararell to hitler last days (chuck wendig just loved to force his political views on everyone in a very straightforward way), but that's exactly what makes this whole "return theory" stupid - if he knew that he will return, why begin everything from scratch? He had powerfull fleet hidden somewhere, why not use it to squash republic? Just to show how evil he is? It worked in hitlers case, because he know he would be dead and nobody would resurect him, but considering SW lore?

Unless we find out that they were intended to be vessels for him to live in forever. That may be the whole reason he created Anakin to begin with. Rey may be Phase II of what he was attempting to accomplish. Vader may have been made a tool because he no longer was a perfect vessel for Palpatine to live in. Palatine may have decided to turn Sith Rule of Two into reverse - and instead of the Apprentice killing the Lord and taking over - the Lord inhabits the body of the apprentice and 'cheats death'.
yeah, that was also done in old EU. But for now, it's just your guess. Maybe you're right, maybe not, but there's a lot of evidence that disney didnt plan anything and just let the directors do what they want. Whole Luke arc was changed at the final edit of TFA, because rian johnson wanted to show him in exactly opposite way that JJ Abrams planned.

Of course Bandai cannot make a kit of those attributes - so while we speculate as to why the thousands of destroyers that make no tactical sense in the story - we hope we get a niceBandai model kit of this Imperial I-Class B - Devastator with super laser.
Well, speak for yourself, because I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who thinks that "devastator with super lasers" would be waste of the molds and development time :p

and that's where our discussion makes circle - maybe I'd think about that devastator differently, if only whole trilogy was prepared better and the ship and it's backstory made more sense in-universe. Being just another slight variation of something decades old also doesnt help, because I'm pretty sure that most people would prefer just regular devastator.

Remember when this was a thread about Bandai Star Wars releases? Pepperidge Farm remembers. ;)
I guess the Sequel Trilogy really IS that popular; everyone keeps talking about it :p

Anyway, in modelling discussions, after some soul-searching (and the fact that my modeling area got demolished to extend the garage), I've decided to skip the lit Star Destroyer. It's a neat design, but it's not a "rush to the shops to get one" design, personally.

Remember when this was a thread about Bandai Star Wars releases? Pepperidge Farm remembers. ;)

Well, while we wait for the new kits to show up stateside and get into our hands, a little debate on the merits and demerits of the upcoming movie trailer and whether or not Bandai should make an Imperial I-Class B Devastator is helping to pass the time.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back