Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Got my replacement 5' gunbay from nkg . Fits perfectly and the detail is superb. Thanks again, man. Couldn't be more happier with how this looks. (y):D
Along with JoeCS's 5' cockpit I'm in Falcon heaven right now. Just hope my paint job's as perfect. kamandi and the rest of you guys here set a high standard. No pressure :eek:
IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0302.JPG

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Thanks for the compliment! I know you've asked a coupe times how people are going about painting. Here is my 2 cents.
-Black automotive primer
-Tamiya AS-20 Insignia White base coat
-I start by airbrushing the obvious grey and red panels (I mixed my own colors)
-liquid latex mask for paint chipping.
-I'll tone down the reds a little by going back over with my base coat color through the airbrush very lightly. You can see where ILM did this also on the 5ft. (See photo)
-For the various other colored panels I used oils. I find if I thin them enough I can get the subtle translucent feel I'm looking for. (See photo) I seal the oils with clear coat or it will be until July until it's dry. The biggest mistake I see is when some of these subtle panels are painted too heavy. The panels start to look more like a chess board if you're not careful. If you accidentally go too heavy you can lightly hit them with your base coat to tone them down.
-I then did all the little black and orange tick marks with a fine art pen.
-I use various techniques for the steaks. For the dark ones I use the post-it note method with the airbrush and extremely thinned Tamiya Smoke. This leaves the steaks pretty sharp more like the 32inch, so I soften them up by lightly going back over them with the Tamiya weathering kit. (See photo) I also use them to make lighter steaks. Look at the reference there are dark and there are really light streaks. I really like this effect and try to emulate this. There are some very small oil streaks on the top of the hull that I used the art pen to achieve
-I use oils for the variations of dark and orangish rusts along the hull and side walls. Same color but based on thickness changes the color. I like doing this because rust isn't just one shade.
-I hit it with the dremel for extra scratches and chips. There are reference where you can see black under the paint. If I accidentally go through the primer layer I just take the art pen or oils and color it black in the groove.
- The 1gazillion decals is what I hated worst. Some I can't even see.
- sealed it all with a clear coat.

Would love to try the ArchiveX paints someday. Just can't afford them right now.

View attachment 1015651View attachment 1015652View attachment 1015653

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hey Kokkari, You've done a great job with your MF, I love it. Sorry to bring up such an old post but I'm in the early stages of painting my Falcon and I had thought about doing a very similar process to you. But I'm wondering whether I would need to do a gloss coat before/after decals and to assist with the weathering/streaking (i.e. to provide a nice smooth surface to apply the weathering to). You didn't mention this in your step-by-step so I'm just wondering if you did it or if in hindsight you think there would be any benefit?

Edit - don't worry I carried on reading and found you answered this already. Thanks for sharing all the information! :D

Last edited:
For those who modified their engines, what does everyone suggest as a the best material to diffuse the LED. I bought a strip and an Arduino to recreate this effect.

Does anyone have any info or threads on display options? Is there a certain mount everybody uses? What about a wall mount? Anybody using a custom coffee table display?

Looking for cool and unique ideas!

thanks!

Does anyone have any info or threads on display options? Is there a certain mount everybody uses? What about a wall mount? Anybody using a custom coffee table display?

Looking for cool and unique ideas!

thanks!

Ive seen both, Martin just put his Deago on a wall mount. I plan to build a coffee table around my FM, working on designs. I guess it's really fit the damn things wherever you can because even at 1/72 they take up more than a shelf space.

Cheers,
Josh

Hi, Can anyone point me to some decent pictures of how the pipes/tubes that hang from the Falcons landing gear bays should be positioned?
Cheers, Richard.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back