Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

@ nhg, How much heat do the LED panels that you supply give out? Can I safely back them with aluminium foil to stop light leakage without risk of overheating?

Purdy66 Micropanels produce very minimal heat. They’re just standard SMD LEDs. :) You can paint them with light-blocking paint or back them with aluminium foil without issues whatsoever. If you underrun them they produce essentially no heat at all.

Last edited:
I finally found some some LEDs that work without heat or ugly hot spots. These are COB LEDs and there's no ugly gaps. They are brighter than f too! Glass plexi by Hunk a Junk

View attachment 1518058
View attachment 1518059
View attachment 1518060
View attachment 1518061
Glad to see engine plexi fit and works so well! Great find with the COB LEDs. Those will be great for my refit Enterprise engines! I'm constantly amazed at the new technology that comes out to improve the hobby.

Glad to see engine plexi fit and works so well! Great find with the COB LEDs. Those will be great for my refit Enterprise engines! I'm constantly amazed at the new technology that comes out to improve the hobby.

I sanded a small notch on the far left and right sides, it stays in place without glue. I can pop it out to work inside. I like it much better than the "grill" which will never be cannon for me.

The COB LEDs can be cut to size and would be great for the Enterprise nacelles.

Those COB LEDs look great, I will have to make/source a replacement to the Bandai grill and use the COBs and perspex instead; I agree with others that it isn't canon with the grill.

High praise, sir. High praise. The tape I used was from a cheap roll I bought at Menards. The thickness really isn't noticeable. In fact, the tape itself just kind of disappears into all the rest of the details on the ship. I forget that it's even there until I take a picture using a flash. This is what it looks like under normal lighting. You'd never know they were there (as God and Lorne Peterson intended).
View attachment 1079098

Fortunately I live in Omaha and have several Menards nearby. Do you recall what tape you used?

I've had the itch to add a few details and this would be one. I think my Falcon is going back on the table after I finish a few current projects.

Fortunately I live in Omaha and have several Menards nearby. Do you recall what tape you used?

I don't remember the brand, but it was sold in either the section where they stock duck tape or the section where they stock signage like "For Sale" and "No Solicitors" signs. It's safety reflector tape.

@ 3Dsf, Hi. I have another question relating to the LED panels that you supply: is there a "correct" face to mount them for optimal light? I know that they have two layers of diffusive material, one each side and a layer of reflective dots on one side only( Not entirely obvious which side).
Cheers. No worries, I figured it out.

Last edited:
Gawd. 254 pages. I'm late to the party. But now I have a FM Falcon to practice build (and probably give to my kid brother when I'm done), and a PGMF to build after I'm all warmed up. :cool: I'm going to read the whole dang thing, looking for references on LED lighting for the side panels in the cockpit when using the Paragrafix PE.

Gawd. 254 pages. I'm late to the party. But now I have a FM Falcon to practice build (and probably give to my kid brother when I'm done), and a PGMF to build after I'm all warmed up. :cool: I'm going to read the whole dang thing, looking for references on LED lighting for the side panels in the cockpit when using the Paragrafix PE.
Hi WarpeD,

For the side panel LEDs you could contact 3Dsf (Age of Plastic) who supplied me with LEDs for the Paragrafix etch, I hope he doesn't mind me recommending him. They look spectacular and there are numerous other options for "blinking" lights via adding fibre optics through them; he has an extensive web page detailng all this(if you don't know already).

Richard.

Many thanks, Richard ( Purdy66 ). The solution offered by 3Dsf is *exactly* what I had in mind. I was tinkering with the notion of making my own LED edge lit panels, but it's always better to go with something prefabricated if possible for the sake of reliability and consistency.

[And I just noticed.... the last post before mine was yours.... and about *exactly* what I was inquiring about. Typical noob mistake... funny that I would have had to read all 254 pages to get there. :lol: ]

Hi,

You're more than welcome, happy to help. I found the gentleman that I was refering to, to be very helpful and his webpage has helped me loads, lots of useful info there. I'm not sure about linking to it but, he also thoroughly explains how to use his LEDs. If you look at the Paragrafix site for the PG photoetch, look for the link for the shapeways corridor that he also designed; you will find a link to his LED page there.

Richard.

While the door to the corridor was open throughout ANH, I'm taking the dodge that it *could* be closed. I'm willing to put extra effort, but the insides of the Falcon don't interest me nearly as much as the outside.

I might post photos of my model here, but I hope I'm not hijacking the thread! Excuse the dirty table, the photos were taken outside in the patio of our apartment. Take it easy on me, I'm actually an amateur modeler myself, and this model was one of the most significant undertakings I've ever done. Let me know what you think.

20230216_124007.jpg

20230216_110249.jpg

20230216_120603.jpg

20230216_110141[1].jpg

Last edited:
That's absolutely horrible, JV1138! How can you bear to even be associated with that hunk of junk!!?? You can send it to me, and I will dispose of it properly for you. No service charge at all - it's on me.

:lol: :lol::lol:

Seriously, I think that result is something any of us would be quite proud of. Gorgeous - really looks good in the natural light. You've really captured the ship quite well. We're all amateurs here -- except for the pro's, of course. o_O

254 pages of posts? SERIOUSLY?!?!? and all these beautiful pictures and ideas... How am I supposed to get any sleep with you guys around????

no but really everyone, great thread and excellent build JV1138.

Last edited:
I might post photos of my model here, but I hope I'm not hijacking the thread! Excuse the dirty table, the photos were taken outside in the patio of our apartment. Take it easy on me, I'm actually an amateur modeler myself, and this model was one of the most significant undertakings I've ever done. Let me know what you think.

View attachment 1670688

Beautiful build JV1138

254 pages of posts? SERIOUSLY?!?!? and all these beautiful pictures and ideas... How am I supposed to get any sleep with you guys around????

no but really everyone, great thread and excellent build JV1138.
Yep Pixelworks, funny to go back & see the first prototype model, then the speculation of when/if it would be released, then the terrific builds & modifications etc

J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back