Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

David3

Sr Member
Got my replacement 5' gunbay from nkg . Fits perfectly and the detail is superb. Thanks again, man. Couldn't be more happier with how this looks. (y):D
Along with JoeCS's 5' cockpit I'm in Falcon heaven right now. Just hope my paint job's as perfect. kamandi and the rest of you guys here set a high standard. No pressure :eek:
IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0302.JPG

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

TuskenRaider

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Thanks for the compliment! I know you've asked a coupe times how people are going about painting. Here is my 2 cents.
-Black automotive primer
-Tamiya AS-20 Insignia White base coat
-I start by airbrushing the obvious grey and red panels (I mixed my own colors)
-liquid latex mask for paint chipping.
-I'll tone down the reds a little by going back over with my base coat color through the airbrush very lightly. You can see where ILM did this also on the 5ft. (See photo)
-For the various other colored panels I used oils. I find if I thin them enough I can get the subtle translucent feel I'm looking for. (See photo) I seal the oils with clear coat or it will be until July until it's dry. The biggest mistake I see is when some of these subtle panels are painted too heavy. The panels start to look more like a chess board if you're not careful. If you accidentally go too heavy you can lightly hit them with your base coat to tone them down.
-I then did all the little black and orange tick marks with a fine art pen.
-I use various techniques for the steaks. For the dark ones I use the post-it note method with the airbrush and extremely thinned Tamiya Smoke. This leaves the steaks pretty sharp more like the 32inch, so I soften them up by lightly going back over them with the Tamiya weathering kit. (See photo) I also use them to make lighter steaks. Look at the reference there are dark and there are really light streaks. I really like this effect and try to emulate this. There are some very small oil streaks on the top of the hull that I used the art pen to achieve
-I use oils for the variations of dark and orangish rusts along the hull and side walls. Same color but based on thickness changes the color. I like doing this because rust isn't just one shade.
-I hit it with the dremel for extra scratches and chips. There are reference where you can see black under the paint. If I accidentally go through the primer layer I just take the art pen or oils and color it black in the groove.
- The 1gazillion decals is what I hated worst. Some I can't even see.
- sealed it all with a clear coat.

Would love to try the ArchiveX paints someday. Just can't afford them right now.

View attachment 1015651 View attachment 1015652 View attachment 1015653

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hey Kokkari, You've done a great job with your MF, I love it. Sorry to bring up such an old post but I'm in the early stages of painting my Falcon and I had thought about doing a very similar process to you. But I'm wondering whether I would need to do a gloss coat before/after decals and to assist with the weathering/streaking (i.e. to provide a nice smooth surface to apply the weathering to). You didn't mention this in your step-by-step so I'm just wondering if you did it or if in hindsight you think there would be any benefit?

Edit - don't worry I carried on reading and found you answered this already. Thanks for sharing all the information! :D

Last edited:

catboat

For those who modified their engines, what does everyone suggest as a the best material to diffuse the LED. I bought a strip and an Arduino to recreate this effect.

darthwhitey

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Does anyone have any info or threads on display options? Is there a certain mount everybody uses? What about a wall mount? Anybody using a custom coffee table display?

Looking for cool and unique ideas!

thanks!

starks

Does anyone have any info or threads on display options? Is there a certain mount everybody uses? What about a wall mount? Anybody using a custom coffee table display?

Looking for cool and unique ideas!

thanks!

Ive seen both, Martin just put his Deago on a wall mount. I plan to build a coffee table around my FM, working on designs. I guess it's really fit the damn things wherever you can because even at 1/72 they take up more than a shelf space.

Cheers,
Josh

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.