Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Final ESB maintenance pit, with a bit of black primer.

Then I had to put too much AS-20 over it, and wrecked it. Dammit!

esb-pit.jpg

Unfortunately that’s a 3D acrylic print. It’s pretty absorbent and what works on styrene tends to trash prints. :/

Phew!

The paint hadn't cured - I sprayed it yesterday. So isopropyl alcohol was enough to dislodge most of the offending material! And in my experience, IPA seems to dry out 3D printed plastic but doesn't destroy it.

Salvaged and resprayed with a little Tamiya fine grey primer.

3D printing is so awesome. After weeks of work as this virtual thing on my screen, now there's this actual physical object. :)

Also, I should note that this is the "busy" version of the pit. In addition to all the components that I could see in the documentary photos, I've filled in a bunch of blanks with other stuff for fun. Mostly based on other kit parts from kits known to have been used in the five foot Falcon.

salvaged-pit.jpg

3D printing is so awesome. After weeks of work as this virtual thing on my screen, now there's this actual physical object. :)

Also, I should note that this is the "busy" version of the pit. In addition to all the components that I could see in the documentary photos, I've filled in a bunch of blanks with other stuff for fun. Mostly based on other kit parts from kits known to have been used in the five foot Falcon.

View attachment 939998
awesome!

View attachment 939998

Awesome work! I ordered the busy version and will install them as soon as I get them! Thank you, sir!

Brilliant job nkg

J

Thanks. :)

It’s kind of funny to think that in the entire history of Star Wars this may be the first time that these particular parts of the five footer have ever been made semi-accurately. Except for Lee Malone’s groundbreaking five foot model!

I must have glanced over this, it's hilarious that you got a little light in there! I never thought that could have worked, but it looks like you got it spot on.

View attachment 940283

Yup, that was one of the reference pictures I used! I drilled into the back of the upper control panel and embedded an orange nano SMD I got from modeltrainsoftware.com. On the 5-footer it looks like the control panel graphic was photo etch or some other opaque material with the circles cut out. I tried to make a decal using your graphic, but it was too transparent. I ended up printing the graphic twice on regular #20 paper and overlapping the two prints. That makes it just translucent enough to let the right amount of light through. It would be great if someone could make a photo etch for your piece, but what I did worked. The 5-footer obviously had other lights in the cockpit, but there's only one shot in Empire (underneath Cloud City) where you see anything besides the one upper control panel. Thanks for noticing!

Slightly OT:

NY Times posted article about Disney's aggressive expansion plans. Article includes a short slideshow of the Falcon. First time I've seen detailed exterior and interior pics, but knowing RPF, you guys have prob already seen these (and more). :) So apologize in advance for any redundant info.

In any event, I guess send any complaints about mandible toe-in directly to Disney PR? :lol:

Ext.png

Int 1.png

Int 2.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back