Avengers: Endgame (Post-release)

What did you think of Avengers: Endgame?

• Total voters
I have a question for you all now the film has been out for ages;

Has Steve always been worthy of lifting Mjolnir, or just for the events of Endgame?

Steve's character has always been moral and true - he's not changed in that respect through the whole series. Age of Ultron showed the hammer move when Steve tried, but he quickly stopped. Did he know he could lift it and didn't want to upstage Thor, or was he just almost worthy?

Thor himself said "I knew it!" When Steve lifted the hammer, meaning Thor knew Steve could be. Or does it mean he knew Steve could have lifted it anytime since Ultron?

I don't mind either way, but I'd be interested in your thoughts!
I think Steve was always worthy, but that Thor "knew it" since Steve budged it in Ultron.

I have a question for you all now the film has been out for ages;

Has Steve always been worthy of lifting Mjolnir, or just for the events of Endgame?

Steve's character has always been moral and true - he's not changed in that respect through the whole series. Age of Ultron showed the hammer move when Steve tried, but he quickly stopped. Did he know he could lift it and didn't want to upstage Thor, or was he just almost worthy?

Thor himself said "I knew it!" When Steve lifted the hammer, meaning Thor knew Steve could be. Or does it mean he knew Steve could have lifted it anytime since Ultron?

I don't mind either way, but I'd be interested in your thoughts!

I personally think he couldn't lift it at the party but was on his way to being worthy so that's why it moved slightly. This made Thor realise that Steve would be able to at some point.

For me Steve's actions in Civil War, Infinity War and most of Endgame, tipped the scales for him being worthy to lift Mjölnir

The writers have said steve has always been able to lift it, but steve being such a gentleman didn’t want to embarrass Thor in front of everyone

Writers have also now confirmed, that after steve dropped off the stones he went back to Peggy

The scene we see with them dancing, is the second he got there from time traveling, if you noticed the door is still open from him just entering. And that is their first kiss

They have also confirmed future cap lived in the same time line universe as we have seen

So all the movies we have seen has 2 cap America’s. The one we see on screen and old cap living a normal retired life in the back ground

To quote them exactly “even though we don’t see a old cap from the future at Peggy’s funeral, he is sitting in the back row, while watching young cap carrier her down the isle”

I was hoping this was true... but it seriously contradicts their time travel rules.. this was brought to their attention and they basically said “we don’t give a sh%t about the time travel rules that’s how it is” lol

Now... the big question is.. did cap father those children Peggy talks about? And how many 1/2 super soldiers are running around?

Writers have also now confirmed, that after steve dropped off the stones he went back to Peggy

The scene we see with them dancing, is the second he got there from time traveling, if you noticed the door is still open from him just entering. And that is their first kiss

They have also confirmed future cap lived in the same time line universe as we have seen

So all the movies we have seen has 2 cap America’s. The one we see on screen and old cap living a normal retired life in the back ground

To quote them exactly “even though we don’t see a old cap from the future at Peggy’s funeral, he is sitting in the back row, while watching young cap carrier her down the isle”

I was hoping this was true... but it seriously contradicts their time travel rules.. this was brought to their attention and they basically said “we don’t give a sh%t about the time travel rules that’s how it is” lol

Now... the big question is.. did cap father those children Peggy talks about? And how many 1/2 super soldiers are running around?

Explanation for the Cap/Peggy story.

Thanos was right, but only kinda/sorta. Time isn't actually linear, but is only perceived that way because we experience it in a linear fashion due to the fact that we are all mortal, are born, age, and die. But time just...is. Existence simply...is.

So, yes, there can be two Caps in the timeline at any given time because they are not the same Cap.

Example: in The First Avenger (or was it The Winter Soldier?) where Peggy meets with Cap and tells him about how she lived a life, got married, etc., she's a little weepy. That's mostly because she remembers the pain of thinking he'd died, and is sad for the pain he'll have to go through over the next fifteen years. But during that time, her Cap is alive and well, waiting at home.

I believe that Peggy knows about the time travel and kept it secret the entire time. For that matter, her Steve Rogers may even have gone completely underground and gone by a different name altogether. For all we know, he's Steve Carter and that's that. But she can't tell Steve in the future after he thaws out, or it could create a paradox. Although, to be fair, you could just as easily argue that the concept of the paradox still depends on the linearity of time, rather than it simply...existing.

But yeah, they have their life, raise their kids, live happily, and Steve largely stays out of Peggy's way with respect to the development of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Be fun to see some of that with her coming home from the office and asking him something and him say 'sorry, spoilers' :)

The only issue i have with your explanation (which, frankly works for me) is that the writers of the time didn't have a clue about it. The writers of TFA, just left it vague enough that your explanation works just fine.

Be fun to see some of that with her coming home from the office and asking him something and him say 'sorry, spoilers' :)

The only issue i have with your explanation (which, frankly works for me) is that the writers of the time didn't have a clue about it. The writers of TFA, just left it vague enough that your explanation works just fine.
The writers of Winter Soldier (where the reunion happened) are the same people who wrote Infinity War and Endgame, so....

Honestly, the simple answer is that elder Steve knows Peggy doesn't spill the beans, and keeps the secret, even in her dementia state. Cause he lived it as a young man.

She's got pictures of her kids and herself on her table. Steve probably TOOK the darn things. The fact that his kids in the pictures, are the ones you remember seeing before would let him know that him being there, with Peggy, is what already happened.

Plus, screw your time travel rules.

Only thing I still have trouble with is Steve sitting by and letting everyone die that he could theoretically have saved. I feel like that would break him. There's also a lot in the comics that the super-soldier serum slows down his aging, so he wouldn't be that old by the time he caught up with the 2022 "present" he left.

This article is 3 months old, they've been saying this since the film came out, contradicting what the Russo's say,

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 22.37.05 copy.jpg

I prefer their explanation (Russo's), which ties into what we have seen in all the films

J

Last edited:
Only thing I still have trouble with is Steve sitting by and letting everyone die that he could theoretically have saved. I feel like that would break him. There's also a lot in the comics that the super-soldier serum slows down his aging, so he wouldn't be that old by the time he caught up with the 2022 "present" he left.

But if he jumped back from his branched off future he would have been

The Russo's say in a Reddit interview:

During a Reddit AMA on Wednesday (August 7), one fan asked them if Old Man Cap had re-used the Quantum Suit to get back to the present once again.

"You are correct in that he would have had to have worn the quantum suit, using a Pym Particle to make the jump," the Russos answered.

"He's not wearing the suit on the bench, because that is not the exact moment to which he returned."

J

The writers of Winter Soldier (where the reunion happened) are the same people who wrote Infinity War and Endgame, so....

Who had no way of knowing there'd be a second Cap movie, let alone they'd be involved with end game. When they (marvel) were doing Iron Man it was a 'we'll see how this goes' even the cap was in progress at that point. They had an idea of where they'd like to get to someday, but didn't flesh things out to that degree. I'd find it very hard to believe that was the intent from virtually day 1.

Who had no way of knowing there'd be a second Cap movie, let alone they'd be involved with end game. When they (marvel) were doing Iron Man it was a 'we'll see how this goes' even the cap was in progress at that point. They had an idea of where they'd like to get to someday, but didn't flesh things out to that degree. I'd find it very hard to believe that was the intent from virtually day 1.

What do you mean, they had no way of knowing there would be a second Cap movie? They WROTE Captain America: Winter Soldier, which is Cap 2.

Also, by the time Whedon finally admitted he had no idea what to do with Thanos after introducing him, around Age of Ultron, that's when they brought the Russo Brothers in to help coordinate the rest of the main story beats in Phase 3, and these guys have written all of the movies the Russos directed in Phase 3, so it's not like they're talking out of their asses..

They didn't know there'd be a 2 when writing the first cap. Moving forward was continigent upon success and there was no success as there were no releases at that time.

I'm just saying the logic works now, but i don't believe that was their plan when writing TFA because thanos hadn't been intro'd yet and IW was barely a what if scenario at that time. That's all. That, and they couldn't have left it for themselves to use later if they had no idea they'd be around later to use it...

They didn't know there'd be a 2 when writing the first cap. Moving forward was continigent upon success and there was no success as there were no releases at that time.

I'm just saying the logic works now, but i don't believe that was their plan when writing TFA because thanos hadn't been intro'd yet and IW was barely a what if scenario at that time. That's all. That, and they couldn't have left it for themselves to use later if they had no idea they'd be around later to use it...

This has nothing to do with Cap 1, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from... No one knew anything about Peggy having kids at the time of TFA.

This is the first time we saw evidence of kids, in Winter Soldier:
Winter Soldier.JPG

Last edited:
It occurred to me that Joe Russo’s character in endgame is likely the same guy as the trauma surgeon character he played in Winter Soldier.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back