Avatar reviews - Attention : spoilers

Haven't read the entire thread, so firgive if this is a repeat question. My 9-yr-old is asking to see this, is it appropriate for him? How's teh violence level, etc.?

Do you have a problem with 4 foot long arrows about the thickness of a baseball bat impaling people through the chest? How about people being incinerated by firebombing?

So I got to see it in 3D today. Once more, I really enjoyed the movie and I liked the 3D element as well. It wasn't in your face (unlike some of the trailers which actually kind of freaked me out) and added an extra bit of depth to the film which was a nice novelty.

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :love :love :love :love :love :love :love :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

It was so beautiful, I didn't want to leave. Weta did an exceptional job...

As for the story, yeah, it's told before, but needs to continue to be told until enough people get it to stop it from happening over and over again.

I do have one question I would like to ask in regards to this movie after seeing it four times :))).

* * * SPOILER! * * *

During the final battle to bomb the spirit tree, what was the point of the humans deploying ground forces? Everything vital to the mission was arial based and no matter how big the Na'vi horses were, I don't quite see how they could affect the arial operations of the mission. Not to mention that we're bombing the GROUND with huge amounts of explosives where the human forces are marching towards. I just didn't get the point.

It meant there could be a cavalry charge? All epic fantasy movies MUST have a cavalry charge.

Ok, I went and saw the movie. It had a lot of great and cool things in terms of technology and film making....but story wise....eh...I thought it was over rated and didn't live up to the hype. I try to always keep an open mind as I actually am a film major but, I don't know.....this one just didn't do much for me, honestly....

agrred. since ilm walked away from practical models, weta have stepped in, filled the gap and then gone one step beyond with their big-atures

I do have one question I would like to ask in regards to this movie after seeing it four times :))).

* * * SPOILER! * * *

During the final battle to bomb the spirit tree, what was the point of the humans deploying ground forces? Everything vital to the mission was arial based and no matter how big the Na'vi horses were, I don't quite see how they could affect the arial operations of the mission. Not to mention that we're bombing the GROUND with huge amounts of explosives where the human forces are marching towards. I just didn't get the point.

My impression is that they were being sent to deal with Jake and the others at the trailer containing the linkup equipment which wasn't directly AT the soul tree, but some distance away.

captainplanetbr3.gif

Finally got to see it. Great fun. :)

Cessna - I was cringing at the "noble savage" take to, and was seriously debating whether I wanted to put myself through it. Then I was told "The Secret" to keep in mind while watching the film... not only takes the edge off the Rousseauean wet dream push of the film, but also shuts up the "whats with the different body plans and non-mammalian heroine with boobies" sciency voice in the back of your mind...

... the Na'vi are gen-modded human colonists who designed their own body plan and built Eywa generations ago. No, it's not canon at all and JC would prolly freak to see his message so distorted.

But it explains -
* why an alien species with a completely different body plan from the rest of the local fauna can still "link" with other animals and the hometree network.

* why said alien species has human facial features, gestures, expressions, culture... and boobies.

* why despite their low tech they don't seem to be experiencing the problems real-life stone age tribes have had.. recurring famine, constant intertribal warfare, disease.... the ecosystem was - and continues to be - managed by the biological-based AI their ancestors created as a caretaker.

Plus, if you really have a bone to pick, just pretend the RSA-folk from earth are coming from such a retarted tech level compared to the biotech required for all that above 'cause of the effect of [insert whatever political system you don't like, but don't say what it is here]. :p

Ooooh, Kaylee, you are my kind of nerdy film analyst! :D

The only problem with the idea is that there's not that great an amount of time for it to have happened in. Jake says 'you grew up hearing about Pandora', so the human race has had interstellar travel for at least his lifetime, plus whatever time was needed to find the planet. Probably a fair bit longer in fact - but the film is set in 2154, so there's a limit on just how long these colonists of yours would have had.

The other option is that Eywa is not only the native sentient being of Pandora, but that she controls the development or even creation of species, and built the Na'vi in imitation of the first human explorers she 'sampled'. Something like this actually happens in Greg Bear's book 'Legacy', which features bizarre centrally-controlled ecosystems that are sort of one large, connected creature - each one has a central core like a huge living biolab, from which all the independent lifeforms are born. In some ways Eywa is more similar to that than she is to Lovelock's Gaia.

firesprite - somewhere in the interviews leading up to it. Can't recall where.

Nwerke - hey, I can ignore multiple and grievous savagries against biology, logic, and human history.... or I can ignore the producer's website and four little numbers barely visible in the video logs.

Which one's easier? :p

(I like your idea though. :) )

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back