AT-AT Driver Costume Construction

A glove I know of to be very close is a ladies tig welding glove. Deerskin I believe. There is a dealer on ebay who sells them. Made by Weldas "softouch" tig / mig welding glove.

I'll have to check that out. I'm not sure if I want welding gloves though just because they are so thick. Here is a commpad that I made. Made out of balsa foam, a nut, a washer, and some plastic rail material that I got at the hobby store. I'll put a piece of clear plastic in the hole. I'm probably gonna make castings if anyone is interested.

commpadz.jpg

Last edited:
<div class='quotetop'>(clutch @ Jun 17 2006, 06:01 AM) [snapback]1263005[/snapback]</div>
I'll have to check that out. I'm not sure if I want welding gloves though just because they are so thick. Here is a commpad that I made. Made out of balsa foam, a nut, a washer, and some plastic rail material that I got at the hobby store. I'll put a piece of clear plastic in the hole. I'm probably gonna make castings if anyone is interested.

commpad.jpg

[/b]

Nice work you should paint the center of the nut silver heres a reference pic showing the silver section, the bits at the front seem to be clear plastic.
I would love to see this one nailed

compad2.jpg

compad1.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(jimbobond @ Jun 18 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]1263477[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(clutch @ Jun 17 2006, 06:01 AM) [snapback]1263005[/snapback]

commpad.jpg

[/b]

Nice work you should paint the center of the nut silver heres a reference pic showing the silver section, the bits at the front seem to be clear plastic.
I would love to see this one nailed

compad2.jpg

compad1.jpg

[/b][/quote]

The cylindrical part is certainly an electrical rotary switch. The clear parts look like terminals that you would connect wires to.

Just admiring my helmet. :) Still nothing on hose. :angry Always ask for a sample first, and remember, most hose measurements are of the inside diameter of the hose. On a better note, I've got one of my best men working on constructing THE commpad to have. :lol

atathelmet.jpg

anybody else having the pink problem? they look fine to me

it may be due to the fact that my work room has green, yellow, and pink walls. it was a child's room before I moved in and I haven't painted the walls yet. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(clutch @ May 31 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]1253562[/snapback]</div>
So what color is the left tusk?
[/b]

Hi Clutch,

I take it you mean the right tusk when you are wearing the helmet? All my descriptions below are with respect to wearing the helmet not looking at it.

It is definitely bare metal I think the colour confusion is down to the tusk being made from two different materials. In high resolution pics I think it is clear that the tusk is two pieces. The base of the tusk looks like it is a weldneck anchor flange and I think it is threaded inside it looks stainless steel. The spike part of the tusk looks to be inserted into the base and has a more blue tint colour to the metal possibly this is aluminium??? I think the Falnge part is a part that already existed and the spike has been made by LFL just my theory.

From what I have seen the fan made tusks available so far don't look like the ones in the hi res pics they are definitely wrong but given the availabilty of pics and poor quality it is easy to see why they have presumed the tusk would be this way.

The problem with all the fan made tusks I have seen is they continuously step up from the base towards the spike. In fact if looked at closely the first hoop isn't a step up it is a drop down you can see it cast a shadow on the left hand tusk were it drops down on the hi resolution pics and the same shadow at the same angle is cast under the helmet chin. The base flange is just a washer with six holes welded to the feedthrough part in which the spike is fixed what looks like a step up is actually a drop at the inside of the washer. Also in hi reresolution on the left hand tusk you can see a wee bit of texture that shows it is a weld between the washer part and the feedthrough part.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers Chris.

After a couple mis-fires, I finally have the ejection straps finished. They are 2" white nylon from www.strapworks.com.
I dyed them with Rit Pearl Gray Dye. By comparing this pic to the original suit, you can tell that they had to have used
some other kind of strap material. Still bugs me, but what can you do?
straps.jpg

I only used 1/4 of the pack of dye because if you go full strength, the straps will turn out too dark.
The leg loops are 29" and the center connector piece is 9".

At first I tried their silver gray webbing. Yuck! Might be ok for an x-wing pilot, but I thought it
looked bad against my gray flightsuit. Here is a comparison between the silver-gray and mine:
strapcomparez.jpg

Last edited:
Can't wait to see this when it is done. Does the AT-AT driver replace the TK for the dance floor though is the big question?

Just stuck my head in, great discussion but I didn't see anyone mention fencing gloves:

They usually have a hole for the body-cord, and some have extra padding on the back of the hand. But alot of times they are already white, thin, leather and with the large cuff. (and in a range of prices)

Dwrd, I just won't be able to jump up and do those mid-air splits. Oh wait, I couldn't do that before. :lol

Hero of Canton, that is an excellent suggestion. That looks pretty darned close to me.

Commpad Mk. II

Thoughts? Gotta decide on dimensions. If there's enough interest, I'll have some made up (with clear buttons). :)

commpad.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back