Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

Finally finished up my Fett. Made a new rangefinder stalk, also added a few red LED to it and gave it an angled top.
img_4200.jpg

img_4201.jpg

img_4203.jpg

img_4202.jpg

Re: Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

WOW! All i can say!

- - - Updated - - -

Thats how mine are set up here. You dont live in New Jersey do you?

@SarlaccSlayer looks great. how did the fiberglass stick to the plastic? and what material did you use to extend the jaw area? and is that bondo to smooth it out?

I used paper as the base for the chin extension, backed with fiberglass, resin, and a layer of rondo which all worked well. Then yes, Bondo to fill in the extension.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is the FO trooper bucket the proper size?
It looks small compared to the e4 bucket i built.
And my son has the rubies 2pc e4 bucket and it even looks small next to it.
Also can somebody tell me where to find lenses for the FO bucket.
I have three of them i am wanting to redo but dont know where to start.

So..... just outta the box, from someone whose been around a long time.....and knows what a Lee Malone is. the boba is probably the best box to shelf, the FO trooper... glad I got both for 40 bux. Bobas worth 40. The trooper is plain crap!!!!! Sure you can mod it out.... needs major reinforcements. Most of my tabs were broken off. ... yeah the weathering on boba is fingerprints...... but for 30 biz it's a steal.

Question for those who have painted the Boba Fett Helmet, did you paint the helmet as one piece or split into its 3 sections?

mine finally arrived here in the UK & I had planned to paint the 3 main parts of the helmet seperately (to help cut down masking off etc) & then put it together at the end

but when I took it apart I realised the sections are quite flexible & im worried that they'll flex & I'll end up cracking the paint when I put it back together

so now I'm thinking I'll epoxy the 3 helmet parts together before I paint them for rigidity I'll still paint the 2 ear parts seperately

what have others done??

I also discovered that this "cheap" helmet is costing me more than double what I paid for it in paint :lol

I'm following the spray paint list that someone posted a link to in another thread as I don't have a airbrush & wouldn't know where to start with one

Im planning on a kinda generic Boba Fett ESB style rather than a scratch for scratch reproduction

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    516.4 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 126
Question for those who have painted the Boba Fett Helmet, did you paint the helmet as one piece or split into its 3 sections?

I painted mine in the three sections and had no problems with any paint cracking. It was easier and required less masking. Plus I could paint all three at the same time with the different colors they needed rather than having to mask off each section.

I painted mine in the three sections and had no problems with any paint cracking. It was easier and required less masking. Plus I could paint all three at the same time with the different colors they needed rather than having to mask off each section.

thanks, I'd really rather paint it in the 3 sections for the reasons you mention but I'd also heard people talking about gluing & strengthening theirs

I'm also hoping to add some window tint to the inside of the visor which I imagine will be easier if it's not glued together

I really like how yours turned out, been some really inspiring paint ups in this thread

I used paper as the base for the chin extension, backed with fiberglass, resin, and a layer of rondo which all worked well. Then yes, Bondo to fill in the extension.

so, the fiberglass/resin had no issue bonding to this type of plastic? not a fan of this type of plastic

and amazing job

Nice work on these helmets guys!

I'm getting ready to glass/repaint my Fett helmet, but I'm worried about the visor. Has anyone found a way to remove the old one without just cutting/grinding it out? It seems to be glued in pretty securely...

Glossing wasn't really that much a problem for the trooper helmet. Not sure if it the same type of plastic as the gett helmet though.

With the trooper helmet you do have to be concerned about flexing though. Just glass the hole thing to limit flexing.

I picked up the Boba helmet as a birthday present to myself. I'm thinking of possibly doing a holiday special-inspired paint job, the thought of which makes me want to make a full on holiday special Fett costume :facepalm :lol. An ESB helmet would be pretty rad, though. I'm just not sure if I'm up to the paint job. Quite tedious, I would think. I've painted an ROTJ Fett before, but the ESB helmet is a whole 'nother level of insane.

12065557_10153519722937626_8961508674639413986_n.jpg

Went to the Target in Macon, couldn't find anything except a Vader helmet on the shelf and out of the box. Got an associate to track down one at the Target in Warner Robins and had them hold it for me til I got there. My biggest fear was that it would be too small for my massive noggin (I stretch an X/XL Oakley cap). However, the FO bucket fits perfectly (and so did the Vader for that matter). Haven't measured my head, so here's a picture for reference... I may... or may not have spent the rest of the night walking around the house wearing it...

11087792_10153097817687626_4735524973144009748_o.jpg

@SarlaccSlayer Do you have a thread for this? That's almost everything I plan on doing to mine, except for the chin extension. This is my first time upgrading a helmet. I spent nearly an hour deliberating which paint to buy at Home Depot.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back