Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

Mr Mold Maker, where are you with your Stormtrooper bucket? Not only am I liking to see what people do to upgrade these, but I'm especially looking forward to the lenses you're going to be making.

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mr Mold Maker, where are you with your Stormtrooper bucket? Not only am I liking to see what people do to upgrade these, but I'm especially looking forward to the lenses you're going to be making.

--Jonah

For the moment, it is shelved sadly. I have too many other projects to deal with it right now. When I get some free time to work on it, I'll be sure to update here.

If anyone else wants to attempt it... my basic plan was to lay some clay in from behind to get the general shape, then sculpt the bubble shape. Mold it, cast it in stone, and then vacuum form them out of a nice thin PETG.

Last edited by a moderator:
is the visor glued or held in my pressure in the helmet? and has anyone tried removing the visor without damaging it, and has anyone tried to remove the visor from the inside?
I just got my helmet and unfortunately has a small hair line crack, and will try to see if my Target has Fett helmet to do an exchange for undamaged helmet.

But I like the visors thickness, the visor is very stable and would love to remove it without damaging it to tint the visor.

How have people been tackling the silver part on the front of the Kylo Ren helmet?

i have mine primed ready to paint, planning to undercoat in silver & then spray satin black

but I'm not sure how best to paint the silver parts looks like a complicated masking job or I could paint by hand after the black?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    713.6 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    638.4 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    640 KB · Views: 116
I also picked up the Boba Fett and Kylo helmets recently. These will be first attempts at helmets. Primed them both, did a base of silver on Boba Fett, and a flat black base on Kylo. Plan on hand painting the silver on Kylo...

Thanks to you folks, I rode four buses for five hours, but managed to snag the last Fett in town. This is my first Fett helmet, and I never imagined it would be so large. I'm kind of amazed that this thing is $30, they could have charged so much more for it and still sold out all their stock

Anyway, I am totally puzzled by their decision to cast the faceplate around the visor piece (made of polystyrene no less? They were asking for it to break) and I'm at a loss as to how to handle it. There are so many undercuts built in to keep it from falling out that it seems I have no choice but to just keep filing away what I can and hope there's a clean lip to mount the replacement to...

Has anyone tried cleaner methods of removing the visor? The visor is made from the same plastic as CD jewel cases, if that's any indication of how brittle this stuff is, and throwing tint on top of it is temporary at best

How have people been tackling the silver part on the front of the Kylo Ren helmet?

i have mine primed ready to paint, planning to undercoat in silver & then spray satin black

but I'm not sure how best to paint the silver parts looks like a complicated masking job or I could paint by hand after the black?

First off, very nice work there.
Any chance you documented your process of joining the two halve So?
Would love to see your method.

As for painting the silver, I'm personally going to do it by hand.
I have a little roller stamp brush thingy that's used to only apply ink to raised surfaces.
Should work good for this.
We will see, still gotta find it.

Thanks to you folks, I rode four buses for five hours, but managed to snag the last Fett in town. This is my first Fett helmet, and I never imagined it would be so large. I'm kind of amazed that this thing is $30, they could have charged so much more for it and still sold out all their stock

Anyway, I am totally puzzled by their decision to cast the faceplate around the visor piece (made of polystyrene no less? They were asking for it to break) and I'm at a loss as to how to handle it. There are so many undercuts built in to keep it from falling out that it seems I have no choice but to just keep filing away what I can and hope there's a clean lip to mount the replacement to...

Has anyone tried cleaner methods of removing the visor? The visor is made from the same plastic as CD jewel cases, if that's any indication of how brittle this stuff is, and throwing tint on top of it is temporary at best

glad you got one, I read over on TDH that they're no restocking these which if true is a real shame as I think the Fett Helmets are fantastic for the money

I think that the clear visor is really my only let down with them but then I have to remind myself that my expectations of these are probably different from Rubies intentions when making them (I.e cheap dressing up helmet)

I've left my visor in for now, hoping to either tint it with car window film or even just spray the back black as its for display anyway

First off, very nice work there.
Any chance you documented your process of joining the two halve So?
Would love to see your method.

As for painting the silver, I'm personally going to do it by hand.
I have a little roller stamp brush thingy that's used to only apply ink to raised surfaces.
Should work good for this.
We will see, still gotta find it.

I don't think I did anything too clever to join the 2 halves, I did what others have described

removed the Velcro - epoxied the 2 sides together & then used some filler on the join

it's not perfect & ive got the feeling the filler seam may crack a little with handling but it's less noticeable than it was so I think it'll be ok

Ive got mine undercoated in silver now, gonna spray it all black & then I think just add the silver by hand as you say

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    638.4 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 128
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    652.1 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    850.6 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    728.8 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    617.1 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    478.1 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    734 KB · Views: 186
glad you got one, I read over on TDH that they're no restocking these which if true is a real shame as I think the Fett Helmets are fantastic for the money

I think that the clear visor is really my only let down with them but then I have to remind myself that my expectations of these are probably different from Rubies intentions when making them (I.e cheap dressing up helmet)

I've left my visor in for now, hoping to either tint it with car window film or even just spray the back black as its for display anyway

I saw that too, which really would be a shame, but my receipt did ring up as "Seasonal" so it's not terribly surprising even if disappointing. This is the best mass-market Fett helmet in 20 years, so even with the innacuracies it's nice to have one that I won't be terrified of wearing out with Halloween crowds. My only real problem with the clear visor is the material itself. If it was a nice polycarbonate or something that'd be awesome, but the stuff they used is scary. I accidentally broke it (and I'm really gentle with these things, honestly, I have the upper body strength of a spider monkey... not adjusted for scale) and the piece that snapped off went straight under my thumbnail and cut me pretty deep

Of course a layer of tint film, especially one of the inside, would do a lot to keep it together and protect you should you faceplant on Halloween or while trooping :)

Alrighty, back to filing away at the inside of this thing before sticking four inches of foam padding inside the dome... this helmet actually touches my shoulders instead of the top of my head and it looks awkward to say the least :D

No sure if this is all Targets or just the one by my office but I swing by today and these helmets were buy 1 get one free, they had storm trooper a Kylo Ren and a couple of Vaders out of box but no discount. And No Boba

No sure if this is all Targets or just the one by my office but I swing by today and these helmets were buy 1 get one free, they had storm trooper a Kylo Ren and a couple of Vaders out of box but no discount. And No Boba

just saw this week Targets sales add with a sale on Halloween costumes, buy 1 get 1 free, but no mention for those star wars helmets. but going to check my target
thx for the heads up

I just left the Laguna Niguel, Ca store and their was a couple of Kylo Ren, and about 5 Stormtrooper helmets. There was also one Fett left after I picked up the other.

These are located in the Halloween section, sort of hidden under the star wars costumes. I pushed the Fett helmet more towards the back so its out of sight. So look low, as in the shelf might as well be the floor. So if anyone is close and needs it.....

Last edited:
Country Paul, can i ask where did you get the Kylo Ren helmet from ?

Both my Fett & my Kylo Ren came from eBay unfortunately, I shopped around the sellers & got them for an OK price but it's always the shipping that is the kicker to the UK :cry

I suppose that its always possible that these will show up cheap in stores here in the UK but I've not seen anything to suggest it so thought I'd better jump on rather than miss out

if they do become available here I'll probably just pick up a couple more :lol

ok, just came back from my Target. Asked a employee about the "buy 1 get 1 free " sale but it was not for none of the helmets.

Then he gave me some bad news. All the helmets have been discontinued, he even showed me the info on his portable scanner. I thought it was just rumors but unfortunately its true. I'm guessing these helmets were only made for the Halloween season, thought the helmets were made till the new year especially for the Christmas shopping season. So, I recommend you guys buy the helmets if you see them, cause if you don't no more, especially when they well sell out for Halloween.

But I was able to pick up the last Fett helmet. They also had 1 Trooper, 2 Vader and 2 Kylo helmets. In person the Kylo Ren helmet is amazing, and would loved to have also bought that helmet but could only afford the Fett helmet at the moment. But would have rocked if that sale also reflected the helmets.

yup I just got off live chat with target as well as phone call and they informed me that the helmets have been dis continued, phew so glad I picked up 2 of them.

I wonder how rare they will be now since they were only offered for about a few weeks

<--Picked up a Kylo Ren and a Fett helmet from my local Target a couple weeks ago. Seeing everyone's handiwork here helped inspire me.

A couple additional projects to squeeze in during the fall season.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back