Another "The Other" jawa budget blaster build

fiveliter8

Hello everyone! My son want's to be a jawa for halloween and for our comic con trips, so, naturally, I HAVE to make him a nice blaster to wield! Mine is a combination of machined acrylic, pvc, and metal, as well as found parts for the barrel and emitter, "lower receiver", and the stock will most likely be wood. Many thanks to all of the reference photos, measurements, and patterns posted by others on this site, I was able to scale most of the part sizes. So, without further adieu, the "Another 'the other' jawa budget blaster" build! :D

The "bolt" of the blaster was machined from acrylic and I used a knurling tool on the cap portion. The "clamp" is also machined on the same piece. The only reason I used this material is because it was available and close to the right diameter already.
IMG_1623.JPGIMG_1624.JPG

Let's see who can guess what this is. Should be pretty easy to ID. It's not the perfect shape, but it's almost as if this was destined to be a jawa blaster. The part in the middle works great for crafting the emitter. The muzzle had to be heated to give it more of a flanged shape. More to come!

IMG_1758.JPGIMG_1759.JPGIMG_1761.JPGIMG_1762.JPGIMG_1763.JPG

Seems like my measurements came to good use... Keep on posting the WIP pictures.
my own build won't make any progress for a while, since I am limited to one hand only for a while :(

Thank you for that! My original (the one that exploded in the lathe) was a few mm off from your dimensions. :D By the way, I have both hands available, so you can send your parts to me and I'll complete it for ya!

Seems like my measurements came to good use... Keep on posting the WIP pictures.
my own build won't make any progress for a while, since I am limited to one hand only for a while :(

Got the "donut" completed and mocked the parts up. Not going for exact replica, obviously, but my son won't notice, I'm sure!
IMG_1765.JPG

Looks great man. Do you have a holster for your Jawa blaster?
Thanks! Actually, I hadn't planned on it, since this doesn't look to be easily holsterable. I was going to make a sling for it so he can carry it easily and have his hands free. I have the bandoliers already, but still have to weather them. If time permits, I'll try and mock one up to see if I can make something that is workable. There is a guy I work with that is an amazing leathersmith (he's making my ESB fett belt at this moment) that might be able to cobble something together. Don't want to load the poor kiddo with too much weight, though. :)

Thanks! Actually, I hadn't planned on it, since this doesn't look to be easily holsterable. I was going to make a sling for it so he can carry it easily and have his hands free. I have the bandoliers already, but still have to weather them. If time permits, I'll try and mock one up to see if I can make something that is workable. There is a guy I work with that is an amazing leathersmith (he's making my ESB fett belt at this moment) that might be able to cobble something together. Don't want to load the poor kiddo with too much weight, though. :)

A sling is a great idea. I had the same problem with my son, he couldn't carry the blaster too long, and since he didn't have a holster, I had to hold it for him. I'm still looking for a good pattern to make a real holster too.

IMG_6457_zpssvuefpei.jpg

Been progressing slowly, but got a tiny bit more done between setting up the adafruit sound fx module and building a mask and dyeing fabric!
Got the timing gear in the mail the other day and it even looks pre-weathered, lol. Also picked up a pumpkin strobe light that fits PERFECTLY in the rear portion of my barrel. Whittled a stock out of 2 x 12, and it came out decent. Next I'll be working on the clevis that goes between the stock and the timing gear.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Well, I guess my title should read, "Another "The Other" jawa budget blaster build that's taking longer than expected and I'm getting a little too much into it and will never be done before halloween build". :D

So, with so much guesstimating on measurements on this one, I spent a lot of time on the "u-joint" part, got it all turned, then discovered I had made a huge measurement mistake. I had to start over, but now my scrap plastic wasn't wide enough. I had to widen it by gluing extension strips on using some really old primer and cement. So far, it's held up through the machining and drilling. Anyways, here is where I'm at. I think it's coming out quite nicely. Oh, and I have a REALLY good hunch what the trigger assembly is...

FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender1.jpg

"Exploded view"

FullSizeRender2.jpg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
You made great progress on your blaster. As a matter of fact, I worked on mine the last two days as well :)

we discussed the origins of the lever before and guessed it to be some kind of lever from a WW2 gun carriage...may I ask what you came up with?

how to you plan to securely attach the coupling to the venturis back end?

You made great progress on your blaster. As a matter of fact, I worked on mine the last two days as well :)

we discussed the origins of the lever before and guessed it to be some kind of lever from a WW2 gun carriage...may I ask what you came up with?

how to you plan to securely attach the coupling to the venturis back end?

Glad to hear you were able to resume the work on your blaster! :D As for the trigger, I recently installed what suspiciously looked very similar to the one used for the blaster. It looks exactly like a flip down door stop that has had the rubber foot shaved down to a taper. They mount with 3 screws. Even if that's not what it is, that's what I'm going to use.
Here's an example of what I'm guessing: http://www.doorware.com/images/products/DHK5-EXT2_525.jpg

As for attaching the 'barrel' to the rear bolt, I think I'm going to use some small screws, since I will have some temporary electronics (pumpkin strobe light) installed and will need to be able to disassemble it down the road. The parts actually are a press-fit so it almost needs no fasteners, however, I'm sure my son will drop it a few times so that it can get that battle-damage look. :) Just a thought, though, the coupling looks very similar to what is on a boot for a motorcycle. It connects the carburetor to the engine and also the air box.
What are your plans for attachment?

The trigger looks like one of these corkscrews to me, just another model.

http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/10149029/

Like the stock, we may just never truly know what it is. I'm still scouring the net for the stock only because the detail on the metal parts that are attached around the stock seem to be like they are supposed to be there, almost like something mounts to it. I've seen some stocks that were specifically made for cameras, but none close to what this one looks like.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back