Another Destiny weapon for 3d print, The Ice Breaker exotic sniper rifle

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by laellee, Mar 17, 2015.

1. laellee

laellee Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've been looking for a side project to tinker on during my breaks and stuff, so over the weekend I asked some of my Destiny peeps what they'd like to see made up. My only stipulations were a) that it wasn't something that had already been modeled for 3d printing (or at least modeled well, not the low-poly game rips that are out there), and b) that it was something that at least 3 or 4 would agree was popular enough to be appealing. Now keep in mind, I don't really play Destiny, so I opened myself up to agreeing to whatever came down the river (guns, armor, etc...) as a popular suggestion without knowing exactly even what the item looked like.

Well, votes came in, Ice Breaker was suggested, and without looking it up I (exact words) responded "WORKS FOR ME.....:thumbsup"

Then I looked it up.:lol:lol:lol This is not what I imagined when I heard the words 'sniper rifle':

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Definitely not what I expected, but OK it does look pretty cool, with a District 9 feel. I'm using Bungie's original concept images for reference, and would expect the final printed weapon to be about 4 feet long. Enough jibberjabber, here's progress so far:

Barrel section, with movable flaps and full barrel:

[​IMG]

Work on the main body. A lot of little details in the concept art that I don't think ever even are visible in the game, but whatever I think it looks cool:

[​IMG]

A lot of work to go, but it's moving a lot faster than I expected. As soon as I figure out what I'll do with this when I'm done, I'll let everybody know here. Thanks for looking!

Mysticrose276 likes this.
  2. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Sweet jesus that is a great looking model.

3. laellee

Getting there. :) Onto the rear assemblies, starting with the grip and trigger mechanism. Trigger, safety, and fire selectors will be actuating, and I'm modeling in channels and a control box in the upper bulkhead for electronics. About 1/2 done:

[​IMG]

4. GhostMinion

GhostMinion Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Holy crap. I'm glad I'm not the one trying to print that mammoth!

5. laellee

Yeah I know. :) But I've got a few cheats too. When I modeled out the Crota sword (that beast is 4 feet long), I added pipe channels and oriented the print parts so they could be skewered together onto a PVC pipe core. Stuff like that cuts down the print time by a bit, and also helps to align parts during assembly. Also, the guy I work with just got the new printer in, and it can run 16x18x16.... INCHES. Gotta love that.

Progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MAAZ likes this.
  6. GhostMinion

GhostMinion Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very clever idea. I'd imagine that would make things easier to assemble.

And yeah, bigger is better when it comes to build plates. Glad to hear you got a bigger one to work with (or your buddy does I mean). One of mine has a 12x12x10 inch build volume, and I love it. I'm sure you'll love bigger prints too. :thumbsup

Anyways, keep kickin' *!

7. laellee

Getting there.... :)

[​IMG]

8. The Schlitzie

The Schlitzie Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I absolutely love this sniper rifle in the game. It's nice to see someone tackling something other than the hand cannons.

You said you modelled the sword of Crota as well?!

9. laellee

Yup, Crota was fun, just crazy organic bone/stone/whatever it is:

[​IMG]

Onward and upward! Upper shroud and scope fore section completed... Just have the aft scope eyepiece and metering to do:

[​IMG]

CLOTHAR likes this.
  10. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

The first and only sniper rifle i have had in the game. Ugly as sin, kicks like a mule, and way too small a magazine but it works well. Love the sword of crota too. Pretty soon you'll be able to make 3D modeled action figures of people's characters lol

11. laellee

Dude you have no idea. I already do character heads modeled after people, both famous and not. I used my neighbor as a test rat when I first got into it, so now I've got 3 versions of him and the results are pretty uncanny. Well, a hell of a lot better than Goldeneye and such anyways :lol

Speaking of anyways, DONE. Well, done with the modeling and the geometries for 3d printing, still gotta work out the individual print sections but that's cake. Sorry for poor light rendering, but I ground out the last of it this evening and didn't want to be bothered with hi-def renders just yet. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking! I'll get my plans for these file sorted out shortly, and hopefully have a print on the way in a bit. :thumbsup

Sean likes this.
  12. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

You're making me really want a 3d printer lol.

13. The5thElement

The5thElement Active Member

Looks amazing...well done!

14. Tuckanator

Tuckanator Active Member

Awsome work! Just wondering, what modeling software are u using? Its not solidworks is it?

15. laellee

Thanks!

Blender.

Dooooooo itttttttt

16. laellee

Chop chop, hack hack, this part sucks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    The Schlitzie likes this.
  17. laellee

FINALLY... All cut up for a 7" bed dimension printer....

[​IMG]

made007 and Sean like this.
  18. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you don't mind me asking, why are you printing all the 'fins' rather than casting them?

19. laellee

Now that, sir, is an excellent question. I do eventually plan on offering this up to one of the free online 3d print archives, so this configuration lets someone who has nothing but a printer and a few pounds of filament to get the rifle completed. If I was looking to sell this beast, I'd definitely just be printing one of all the duplicate parts and then cast from there. Incidentally, that's also why the components above are all cut within the 7X7X7 parameters; just making sure that down the road most anybody should be able to print the parts.

SEBRET and Sean like this.
  20. ataris121

ataris121 Jr Member

7x7x7........drat my printrbot is 6x6x6. lol looks good though

21. laellee

Yep I guarantee the parts wouldn't fit in a 6X6X6, but they could always be cut down more :lol

For anyone interested in printing this, the files should be available free to download shortly. Just need to get a print out first to make sure everything is working the way it's supposed to...

Mysticrose276 and Sean like this.
  22. SuperiorSvyat

SuperiorSvyat New Member

Wow. This model is ridiculous! I'm really looking forward to attempting to print this bad boy on my own. Laellee amazing work as always!

23. Mysticrose276

Mysticrose276 New Member

Beautiful replica, I can hardly wait to see the files. Now I need to find out about the 3-D printers at the TechShop. Fingers crossed that they're at least 7x7x7. :)

24. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very sweet rifle. fantastic work on that! :thumbsup

oh if i just had unlimited resources. GUNS everywhere... hehehe

25. laellee

made007, Strode and Radigast like this.
  26. wakoquacko

wakoquacko Member

Sir you have just saved me god knows how many days. Doing a Destiny cosplay and I really wanted this gun and couldn't find anything for it. Why I didn't look on here is beyond me. Now all I have to do is try to make this into an mdf/foam pattern. No access to a 3d printer (yet). By any chance could you upload the uncut model? Was thinking of doing a log/guide type deal with this and I'm not too savvy with 3d modeling programs. If not no worries I'm sure I can figure it out. And congratulations on a job very well done!

EDIT: Also what is the full size measurements on this? One heck of a beast.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  27. laellee

I actually don't have an uncut version, it would be entirely too big (and complex) for my machine to run it. As for the finished size, I'd say 48" (fairly sure of that measurement).... It is 1:1 scale matched to the actual game size.

28. mrdude42

mrdude42 New Member

You did a really great job on this! Thanks for sharing :)

29. laellee

Thanks, dude. This is a great group of people here, and I know I'll still never be able to pay back for everything I've learned on this site... But I'll try. :)

30. made007

made007 Sr Member

I wish i could do my own models, i purchased blender books to see if i can learn something, great models
    love them

31. Thiraart

Thiraart New Member

would ultimaker 2 be able to print this awsome sniper rifle? Great job on this! :)

32. laellee

An ultimaker 2 could definitely print this! You'd want to run the parts at at least .3mm resolution for the detail, and 10% infill. Fair warning though, the Icebreaker is 1:1, a beast, so you're looking at a bit over 2 kg of filament, and about 125 hours of printing (with above settings). If you decide to tackle it, let me know; I've only seen a couple printed. :thumbsup

33. Thiraart

Thiraart New Member

To be honest, im wandering into unknown territory. Im fresh to 3d printing. Dont own a printer (yet). Ive been looking into reviews and the Ultimaker 2 and 3d systems cubepro printer seems great. What printer are you using? Have you printed this beast yet? Hows the operation and downloading 3d printing files gonna be? Just download, click print and wait 125hours lol? Is it possible to have it pause in the middle of the print and turn the power off, then on and continue where it stopped? Or do i have to run it all night XD

34. laellee

Printing this thing is literally 5 days of printing, but it is sectioned up into parts that will take a lot less time each. I am working with a Formlabs Form 1+ to get this reprinted, but I believe the first print of this was actually run on an Ultimaker 2; it's a very good printer. I don't print much at all these days, mainly model on commission.

As for your other questions, your best bet is to read the reviews on different printers and check the operator manuals. Different printers run different features, have different capabilities, and I am by no means in a position to point out the subtle nuances.

35. TK6810

TK6810 New Member

I can recommend the Ultimaker2, good little printer.

Anyway, that being said, here's a shot of what 150+ hours of printing looks like.
    Bit of a multicoloured afair. As it will take well over 300metres of filament, I'm using up everything I have lying around.

IMG_0756.jpg

36. B Wo

B Wo Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

laellee I love your 3D renderings of Destiny guns, so much.

Taken King expansion comes out in 2 weeks...TONS of new guns....If you model a Sleeper Simulant, I will crap my pants.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018