Another Destiny weapon for 3d print, The Ice Breaker exotic sniper rifle

laellee

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been looking for a side project to tinker on during my breaks and stuff, so over the weekend I asked some of my Destiny peeps what they'd like to see made up. My only stipulations were a) that it wasn't something that had already been modeled for 3d printing (or at least modeled well, not the low-poly game rips that are out there), and b) that it was something that at least 3 or 4 would agree was popular enough to be appealing. Now keep in mind, I don't really play Destiny, so I opened myself up to agreeing to whatever came down the river (guns, armor, etc...) as a popular suggestion without knowing exactly even what the item looked like.

Well, votes came in, Ice Breaker was suggested, and without looking it up I (exact words) responded "WORKS FOR ME.....:thumbsup"

Then I looked it up.:lol:lol:lol This is not what I imagined when I heard the words 'sniper rifle':

Definitely not what I expected, but OK it does look pretty cool, with a District 9 feel. I'm using Bungie's original concept images for reference, and would expect the final printed weapon to be about 4 feet long. Enough jibberjabber, here's progress so far:

Barrel section, with movable flaps and full barrel:

Work on the main body. A lot of little details in the concept art that I don't think ever even are visible in the game, but whatever I think it looks cool:

A lot of work to go, but it's moving a lot faster than I expected. As soon as I figure out what I'll do with this when I'm done, I'll let everybody know here. Thanks for looking!

Getting there. :) Onto the rear assemblies, starting with the grip and trigger mechanism. Trigger, safety, and fire selectors will be actuating, and I'm modeling in channels and a control box in the upper bulkhead for electronics. About 1/2 done:

Yeah I know. :) But I've got a few cheats too. When I modeled out the Crota sword (that beast is 4 feet long), I added pipe channels and oriented the print parts so they could be skewered together onto a PVC pipe core. Stuff like that cuts down the print time by a bit, and also helps to align parts during assembly. Also, the guy I work with just got the new printer in, and it can run 16x18x16.... INCHES. Gotta love that.

Progress:

Yeah I know. :) But I've got a few cheats too. When I modeled out the Crota sword (that beast is 4 feet long), I added pipe channels and oriented the print parts so they could be skewered together onto a PVC pipe core. Stuff like that cuts down the print time by a bit, and also helps to align parts during assembly. Also, the guy I work with just got the new printer in, and it can run 16x18x16.... INCHES. Gotta love that.

Progress:

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/8a82/am43348vp99n60c6g.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/498e/173rdobxi7hhgdk6g.jpg

Very clever idea. I'd imagine that would make things easier to assemble.

And yeah, bigger is better when it comes to build plates. Glad to hear you got a bigger one to work with (or your buddy does I mean). One of mine has a 12x12x10 inch build volume, and I love it. I'm sure you'll love bigger prints too. :thumbsup

Anyways, keep kickin' ass!

I absolutely love this sniper rifle in the game. It's nice to see someone tackling something other than the hand cannons.

You said you modelled the sword of Crota as well?!

I absolutely love this sniper rifle in the game. It's nice to see someone tackling something other than the hand cannons.

You said you modelled the sword of Crota as well?!

Yup, Crota was fun, just crazy organic bone/stone/whatever it is:

Onward and upward! Upper shroud and scope fore section completed... Just have the aft scope eyepiece and metering to do:

The first and only sniper rifle i have had in the game. Ugly as sin, kicks like a mule, and way too small a magazine but it works well. Love the sword of crota too. Pretty soon you'll be able to make 3D modeled action figures of people's characters lol

Dude you have no idea. I already do character heads modeled after people, both famous and not. I used my neighbor as a test rat when I first got into it, so now I've got 3 versions of him and the results are pretty uncanny. Well, a hell of a lot better than Goldeneye and such anyways :lol

Speaking of anyways, DONE. Well, done with the modeling and the geometries for 3d printing, still gotta work out the individual print sections but that's cake. Sorry for poor light rendering, but I ground out the last of it this evening and didn't want to be bothered with hi-def renders just yet. :)

Thanks for looking! I'll get my plans for these file sorted out shortly, and hopefully have a print on the way in a bit. :thumbsup

If you don't mind me asking, why are you printing all the 'fins' rather than casting them?

Now that, sir, is an excellent question. I do eventually plan on offering this up to one of the free online 3d print archives, so this configuration lets someone who has nothing but a printer and a few pounds of filament to get the rifle completed. If I was looking to sell this beast, I'd definitely just be printing one of all the duplicate parts and then cast from there. Incidentally, that's also why the components above are all cut within the 7X7X7 parameters; just making sure that down the road most anybody should be able to print the parts.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back