ANH Vader saber bent nail

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Darth Lars, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm about to convert a pair of MPP replicas into ANH Darth Vader sabers.
    The problem is that I don't know how to make a bent nail, that holds the clamp together well and has the lever attached well. I don't mind having a spacer in the space underneath the calculator bubbles as on MR's saber.

My ideas so far:
    1) Put two countersunk screws underneath each sidebar, attaching the clamp to a spacer that holds it all together. Then the nail does not have to be functional. (that is how MR does it, I think)
    2) Build a new long bent nail that is threaded at one end. Tighten the clamp first, then attach the lever and then slide it on onto the MPP tube. Glue a metal disc onto the opposite side of the lever.
    3) Have two threaded rods/screws and a big nut/threaded pipe in the middle. First tighten the nut against the lever-side rod. Then tighten the clamp by * the opposite screw into the nut.

I wonder, how have others done it?
    Perhaps there is a much better idea out there.

2. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

I can probably help you....I do all kinds of custom metal, leather, plastic, fiberglass work.... and own a larbel MPP for reference :D

shoot me an email on my website

www.partsandtechnical.com

3. Darth Lars

Maybe you misunderstood me. If I had wanted to hire someone I would have posted in the junkyard. Besides, I am across the Atlantic and I want to do the physical work myself and within the week.

4. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

Geesh man, sorry. Trying to help. :unsure

5. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to how this was done as well. Surely someone here has done this?.

6. lesternessman

bumpin for anyone who hasn't seen this but can help...

7. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Why not do it like the real prop?

Run a nail through the clamp and bend it over.
    Break off the lever and glue it on.
    If I was going to do this detail that's what I'd do.

Remember what it is and why it was done.

edit*
    The only replica I've seen with the nail done besides an MR was done just that way...I think it was Gav's.

8. Darth Lars

Thank you Sporak. I have not found any pic of a fan-made Vader saber with the bent nail, yet..

I am afraid that it would be hard to keep the clamp tight with a nail. I also don't want to damage the sidebars. As yet another idea, maybe the bent nail could simply be soldered onto the end of a threaded nail.

9. Killdozer

Killdozer Active Member

I did mine as Sporak described, except I fashioned the lever from sheet aluminum. It is not super-tight, but the angle of the bend is enough to keep everything together.

[​IMG]

KD

10. lesternessman

thanks for posting the pic .

11. gavidoc

gavidoc Well-Known Member

That's what I did. Bent the nail in a vise, slipped it in the clamp, twisted it so it tightned the clamp and then glued the lever on the end. Had to use pliers to twist teh nail in the clamp but it was very tight.

And I did that to a real MPP clamp. :)

12. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

That's the one I remember...hey Gav, do you have a pic of it you can share? I remember it looked great...
    You used a threaded nail? What is that exactly?

Killdozer, you'rs rocks too... :)