ANH Vader saber bent nail

Darth Lars

Master Member
I'm about to convert a pair of MPP replicas into ANH Darth Vader sabers.
The problem is that I don't know how to make a bent nail, that holds the clamp together well and has the lever attached well. I don't mind having a spacer in the space underneath the calculator bubbles as on MR's saber.

My ideas so far:
1) Put two countersunk screws underneath each sidebar, attaching the clamp to a spacer that holds it all together. Then the nail does not have to be functional. (that is how MR does it, I think)
2) Build a new long bent nail that is threaded at one end. Tighten the clamp first, then attach the lever and then slide it on onto the MPP tube. Glue a metal disc onto the opposite side of the lever.
3) Have two threaded rods/screws and a big nut/threaded pipe in the middle. First tighten the nut against the lever-side rod. Then tighten the clamp by screwing the opposite screw into the nut.

I wonder, how have others done it?
Perhaps there is a much better idea out there.

Maybe you misunderstood me. If I had wanted to hire someone I would have posted in the junkyard. Besides, I am across the Atlantic and I want to do the physical work myself and within the week.

Why not do it like the real prop?

Run a nail through the clamp and bend it over.
Break off the lever and glue it on.
If I was going to do this detail that's what I'd do.

Remember what it is and why it was done.

edit*
The only replica I've seen with the nail done besides an MR was done just that way...I think it was Gav's.

Thank you Sporak. I have not found any pic of a fan-made Vader saber with the bent nail, yet..

I am afraid that it would be hard to keep the clamp tight with a nail. I also don't want to damage the sidebars. As yet another idea, maybe the bent nail could simply be soldered onto the end of a threaded nail.

I did mine as Sporak described, except I fashioned the lever from sheet aluminum. It is not super-tight, but the angle of the bend is enough to keep everything together.

si-vader2.jpg

KD

Originally posted by Darth Lars@Jan 25 2006, 10:17 AM
Thank you Sporak. I have not found any pic of a fan-made Vader saber with the bent nail, yet..

I am afraid that it would be hard to keep the clamp tight with a nail. I also don't want to damage the sidebars. As yet another idea, maybe the bent nail could simply be soldered onto the end of a threaded nail.
[snapback]1167648[/snapback]​

That's what I did. Bent the nail in a vise, slipped it in the clamp, twisted it so it tightned the clamp and then glued the lever on the end. Had to use pliers to twist teh nail in the clamp but it was very tight.

And I did that to a real MPP clamp. :)

That's the one I remember...hey Gav, do you have a pic of it you can share? I remember it looked great...
You used a threaded nail? What is that exactly?

Killdozer, you'rs rocks too... :)

Originally posted by gavidoc@Jan 26 2006, 11:23 AM
That's what I did. Bent the nail in a vise, slipped it in the clamp, twisted it so it tightned the clamp and then glued the lever on the end. Had to use pliers to twist teh nail in the clamp but it was very tight.

And I did that to a real MPP clamp. :)
[snapback]1168726[/snapback]​

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back